Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Losi Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Titanium VS. Steel Density - finished conversion

Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Titanium VS. Steel Density - finished conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 07:38 PM
roweder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Titanium VS. Steel Density - finished conversion

in science right now, we're learning about density and finding density from mass & volume and finding volume from mass & density ect. and so i decided to bring in another practice problem and that's finding the density of titanium, comparing it to steel, and finding a conversion percentage from the weight of steel to titanium. since i haven't been able to weigh my titanium samples yet, which i will do tommorow and this whole conversion will be completed.

10/11/07:tommorow all of this information will be complete10/12/07:today i weighed the parts

to find the density of titanium, i found all of the measurements of my inner hinge pin which i got from lunsford. first, i found the diameter, which is 4mm, 0.4cm, and the leingth is 70mm, 7cm so to find the ammount of cubed centimeters (mL's) this rod has, the formula to find the volume of a cylinder is π x r² x h which is pie times the radius squared times the height of the cylinder.

1mL = 1cm³

the amount of titanium in two inner hinge pins is 1.759291885mL. and the amount of titanium in two outer hinge pins is 1.055575131mL. so, in my muggy there is 2.814867016mL of titanium per wheel, 11.25946806mL of titanium in all of my hinge pins combined.

tommorow, in science class, i will weigh all of this titanium which will allow me to complete this formula:

_____12.303g
2.814867016mL =4.370761576g/mL.

the toatal weight of all of my titanium hinge pins is 49.21199998g

if i still had steel pins, then all of the hinge pins in the truck put together would weigh 87.82385087g

This means that by switching to titanium pins, my truck lost 38.61185089g, that's 1.364376357oz. [ounces], and the steel pins weigh 3.103316285oz[ounces]

titanium weighs 56% of steel, so take the weight of a steel object, multiply the weight by 0.56, and you have the weight of the same amount of metal in titanium. if you have a titanium part, and you want to find out the amount it weighs as a steel object, multiply the weight by 1.7846 to get the weight in steel accurately to the thousandths decimal place(1.234 the 4 is in the thousandths place)
Old 10-11-2007, 09:35 PM
full maxx

Default RE: Titanium VS. Steel Density

holy cow what graduate school do you attend ... dang i was good with math in high school but you lost me on the third sentence lmao
Old 10-12-2007, 02:47 PM
roweder

Default RE: Titanium VS. Steel Density

i'm in 8th grade and i'm in the souderton school district [public school] in PA