Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Spur gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Griffsred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spur gear

The only things I have broken up until now are the pipe mount rod and the right front spindle. I've broken the spindle at least 6x. Maybe I should go with the aluminum spindles. But now I have stripped the low speed spur gear twice, the second time happened literally on the run after I repaired it. What causes this, I have no clue as to why this happens. Can anyone help me out with this?
Old 03-17-2008, 06:52 PM
Airbus 9e

Default RE: Spur gear

Seems to me that you're not getting your gear mesh set correctly.....another thing to check is make sure the gears are properly aligned- the gear shaft and motor shaft are parallel....
Old 03-17-2008, 07:04 PM
IL2mSturmovik

ORIGINAL: Airbus 9e

Seems to me that you're not getting your gear mesh set correctly.....another thing to check is make sure the gears are properly aligned- the gear shaft and motor shaft are parallel....

Yes, and get alum spindles.
It seems the last few months of spindles are horrible brittle.
My original spindles lasted the longest, then the 2nd set lasted a while too, bu the 3rd-5th were like glass.
New Era alum spindles=answer
Old 03-17-2008, 07:09 PM
bigtreds

check and see if your engine mount is cracked. could be striping your gear. if its cracked it will flex under power.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:15 PM
IL2mSturmovik

ORIGINAL: bigtreds

check and see if your engine mount is cracked. could be striping your gear. if its cracked it will flex under power.
Yup, I assumed he has already replaced it, as it should be a standard "must-do" mod to the LST2
Old 03-17-2008, 07:32 PM
Griffsred

While taking the truck apart, I discovered one of the 4 bolts holding the engine down was missing and 2 others loose. Would this cause the gear to strip?
Old 03-17-2008, 07:33 PM
IL2mSturmovik

ORIGINAL: Griffsred

While taking the truck apart, I discovered one of the engine mount bolts missing and 2 others loose. Would this cause the gear to strip?

As surely as teh sun rising tomorrow
Old 03-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Griffsred

Guess I should get aluminum spindles, aluminum spur gear(low and high?)Maybe engine mount as well. Am I missing anything else? Other than those 2 parts the truck is great,and now that I discovered it was a missing engine bolt not just a brittle gear. I'm not really feeling the need to add much more. You guys disagree, agree?
Old 03-18-2008, 12:31 PM
CBM Racing

No one make aluminum spur gears, but the spindles and engine chassis brace are good ideas. My stock spur gears keep stripping because the little screws get pulled right out of plastic, and makes an awfull mess. I hate using titanium gears because they are so thin they cut into and wear out clutchbell gears. I can't win! I am using the losi +1 clutchbell and highspeed titanium spurs(I think they are-4 teeth?)and wear out clutchbells within about 1 1/2 gallons. Tried stock gearing, and it kept pulling screws from spur gears in about 2 tanks. Getting tired of so little gearing options with this, and I'm not paying 8mans prices for pinions, that is crazy high! I'll figure something out yet!
Old 03-18-2008, 06:03 PM
str8jailbird

ORIGINAL: CBM Racing

No one make aluminum spur gears, but the spindles and engine chassis brace are good ideas. My stock spur gears keep stripping because the little screws get pulled right out of plastic, and makes an awfull mess. I hate using titanium gears because they are so thin they cut into and wear out clutchbell gears. I can't win! I am using the losi +1 clutchbell and highspeed titanium spurs(I think they are-4 teeth?)and wear out clutchbells within about 1 1/2 gallons. Tried stock gearing, and it kept pulling screws from spur gears in about 2 tanks. Getting tired of so little gearing options with this, and I'm not paying 8mans prices for pinions, that is crazy high! I'll figure something out yet!
I think that maybe your mesh is not set right. I have the t-nitride steel spurs (yes with less teeth also!) and a +1 clutch bell. I have run about 2 gallons thru the truck since these were installed and show no major signs of wearing. I do know that if you move your truck under hand power (engine off) when it stops you should hear the clutch bell and 2 speed free rolling on their bearings. If it is not doing this then the mesh is too tight. I found that once you get the proper mesh set then mark the engine bolts with a permanent marker so that if you do have to take out the engine it is easy to reset the mesh properly. Too tight of a mesh not only wears out your spurs/clutchbell prematurely but robs your truck of a lot of performance. HAPPY BASHING