Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Rebuild Stock LST2 Engine or LRP Spec3

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 01:02 PM
funman1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild Stock LST2 Engine or LRP Spec3

Ok here's the deal with my old engine.

I ran it one day in some super dusty off road conditions.
It ran for about an hour then started act strange...

I tried to run it for about another 30 mins and gave up because I knew something was wrong.

Got home to discover there was a HUGE crack in my airfilter tubing leading to the engine.
Pulled the filter tube off and discovered so much dust had gotten into the carb it had mixed it with fuel to make MUD.
It was ozzing down the carb into the engine.

So I did a COMPLETE tear down of the carb and engine.
I cleaned out EVERY part of the engine, making sure there was not a single particle of dust in the engine.
There was no apparent gouges on the piston or sleve.
When re assembled it has compression but not like it used to...
So now 1 gallon later the engine does not run well at all.

I can get the engine to idle but it will die as soon as you give it gas. No adjusting will seem to get it to work.
I have much experience in engine tuning, and at this point don't think it the tuning.

OK so the question.
If I just replace the piston and slevee will the be as good as new, or has the carb or other engine parts been damadged and junk the whole engine?

So rebuild or new?
I know it won't really be as good as new but better than it is.

Cash is tight so what's the best bang for my buck rebuild or new? I don't need a huge power house, just an engine that will run.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:14 PM
ARDV8

Default RE: Rebuild Stock LST2 Engine or LRP Spec3

It might have got into the bearings as well

You could end up changing the piston, sleeve, bearings, carb which could cost more than a new mill
Old 09-09-2008, 01:34 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/7458
Old 09-09-2008, 02:06 PM
str8jailbird

I got the LRP in mine and have the Mach as a back up. For around 170 it is a great engine. I'd say spring for the LRP because it may be more than just piston and sleeve. When you add up everything you need (bearings as well) you can get the LRP for a few bucks more or less than what you are going to spend.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:58 PM
KRO

Either get a new Mach or get the LRP . Its gonna cost you almost as much for a piston and sleeve as it would a new Mach , and as stated before it might have damaged the bearings too .

I have the LRP and I started too break it in today , so far its been great ! It idles soo smooth and hasnt flamed out on me once so far .

Should have the motor broken in by tomorrow and then its time too tune !
Old 09-10-2008, 10:22 PM
CBM Racing

I would agree with everyone else, get a new mill. If super power isn't a huge concern, get another mach, or the sw.26v2 linked above. But if you can swing the extra 40-50$, the lrp is a very good engine worth the few extra bucks in my opinion. Oh yeah, also new filter parts. Sorry, had to throw it in there. I would really suggest the lrp or picco .28 pullstart, and when cash permits, rebuild the .26 with p/s and probably a new conrod as well. Then again, if needs all that AND bearings...recycle it at the local landfill. Best of luck whatever you decide to do, but just so ya know, the lrp kicks some pretty good power out.