Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

hpi 5b vs.lst2

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 01:26 PM
animalnut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hpi 5b vs.lst2

out of those two cars which one is the fastest and best handling just wondering from those of you that own both?
Old 08-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Airbus 9e

Default RE: hpi 5b vs.lst2

Kinda comparing apples and oranges....

RC Driver clocked the LST XXL at about 45 MPH, which is pretty good....I'd imagine the 5B is about the same....

I think the LST based trucks are about the best handling MTs around....'ve driven my Aftershock, along with my brother inlaw's Savage X 4.6 and my older T-Maxx...The Maxx and the Savage push like a dump truck compared to my Aftershock....
Old 08-24-2009, 06:22 PM
Jailbird1818
My Feedback: (5)

I agree with apples to oranges. buggy to MT, 2wd vs 4wd, gas to nitro, 1/5 to 1/8, etc. etc. Two completly different animals, both fantastic in their own rights.

-JB
Old 08-24-2009, 09:12 PM
full maxx

ditto on above...best 1/8 mt well...your in the right forum
Old 08-24-2009, 09:15 PM
jikkuria

im a fan of gassers, so i say go for the 5b.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:39 PM
slim0279

i run a lst2-my buddy runs a 5b ss- unless you dont plan on jumping too much go with the 5b, if you run on smooth terrain go with the 5b-if you wanna jump a house and run over the kids-and do it going 45-50 mph get the lst
Old 08-25-2009, 10:07 AM
full maxx

ORIGINAL: slim0279

i run a lst2-my buddy runs a 5b ss- unless you dont plan on jumping too much go with the 5b, if you run on smooth terrain go with the 5b-if you wanna jump a house and run over the kids-and do it going 45-50 mph get the lst
bahahaha
Old 08-25-2009, 11:13 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

5b is geared for 47 mph out of the box (not taking into account tire swell which pushes it to around 49), it takes langer than the LST to get there, but it'll do it with a run up.

There's no comparison I'm afraid, and I know a lot of you fanboys are gonna jump on me, but you can't deny my reasons...the 5b is by far the better vehicle. If the price alone doesn't tell you that, here're some facts...

45mins per tank instead of 7.
No pre-run prep, no after-run maintenance
Tune once. Do it in 5 mins and leave it FOREVER.
Bigger, so you can see it better further away
2wd is infinitely more challenging at this scale, and more rewarding
5b has an insane aftermarket (as does the LST, I know)
Fuel is a fraction of the cost of nitro methane
Receiver batteries that last days instead of hours
Run anywhere (not sure about people saying about smooth ground! lol, the 5b will go places the LST cannot.
Rooster tails from the torque output of a gas engine are one of the high points of the entire hobby, as are 5th scale wheelies.

In the end the only thing the LST does better is cost less, jump higher and do flips. Don't get me wrong, I respect the LST. It's one of the better nitro trucks, but the 5b is a whole other league, wait no, it's playing a different sport. Indeed as others have said, it's apples to oranges. You'll pay a lot more for the 5b and you'll get a lot more machine. Simple as that.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:09 PM
full maxx

no complaint from me everybody has their own thing...whatever makes you happy
Old 08-25-2009, 04:08 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

I own a 1/8 Nitro MT and a large scale gasser, and I much prefer driving the Nitro. Gassers are much easier to run, but Nitro trucks are much more fun to drive.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:13 PM
Airbus 9e

ORIGINAL: Foxy

5b is geared for 47 mph out of the box (not taking into account tire swell which pushes it to around 49), it takes langer than the LST to get there, but it'll do it with a run up.

There's no comparison I'm afraid, and I know a lot of you fanboys are gonna jump on me, but you can't deny my reasons...the 5b is by far the better vehicle. If the price alone doesn't tell you that, here're some facts...

Run anywhere (not sure about people saying about smooth ground! lol, the 5b will go places the LST cannot.
Rooster tails from the torque output of a gas engine are one of the high points of the entire hobby, as are 5th scale wheelies.

In the end the only thing the LST does better is cost less, jump higher and do flips. Don't get me wrong, I respect the LST. It's one of the better nitro trucks, but the 5b is a whole other league, wait no, it's playing a different sport. Indeed as others have said, it's apples to oranges. You'll pay a lot more for the 5b and you'll get a lot more machine. Simple as that.
I understand what you mean....My only grump with the 5b is the initial expense....for what a 5B SS kit runs....($875 or so), I can have a Losi XXL with a couple gallons of fuel, the few upgrades it needs from the box, a wing kit, and a better looking body.......

I've been looking into a 5B SS to build because i live less than a n hour from the Hostile Hobbies track, and from what I hear, they have a sweet dirt oval I'd love to try....
Old 08-31-2009, 07:33 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: Airbus 9e

I understand what you mean....My only grump with the 5b is the initial expense....for what a 5B SS kit runs....($875 or so), I can have a Losi XXL with a couple gallons of fuel, the few upgrades it needs from the box, a wing kit, and a better looking body....and a couple tanks of gas my big truck...

I've been looking into a 5B SS to build because i live less than a n hour from the Hostile Hobbies track, and from what I hear, they have a sweet dirt oval I'd love to try....
There are much better cars for the track than the 5B. It's long wheelbase makes it very drifty. The FG Baja would be a better choice.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:02 AM
Airbus 9e

Well I was considering that, but I believe the owners there have a rule about clone cars....so if I did anything, it would be with a 5B SS
Old 08-31-2009, 04:16 PM
losifiend

My LST2 runs for 15 minutes on a tank running at 220* with a teal head mach 427. The 5B tank wont last more than 30.

I sold my 5B over my LST2(scroll down to see pictures of both). The 5B is heavy. If you run in sand or loose dirt the clutch wont last long with out spending over $250 for an enclosed clutch bell cover. The clutch bell bolt likes to snap off costing you a new clutch bell. Upgrade parts will cost you your first born. Its not tune and forget as most people claim unless you run at the same altitude all the time. I used to have to tune for the desert and for the beach just like my nitros. That is the case with ANY 2 cycle engine. You need to spend more to get the 5B bash ready than the LST2. The 5B rear arms, where the shocks mount to is verry thin and will require the upgrade to RPM arms. The front wheels hubs are held on by E clips and will reqire you to mod them with 4MM nolts for each one so the wheels stay on durning bad landings. The 5B can not be corrected in the air usually resulting in more crashes and broken shock towers. If you dont have your suspension tuned correctly it will buck forward on some jumps and do a front flip, usually breaking the spark plug when it lands unless you get an alluminum roof cover or the 1 from the 5T. Pull starters just plain suck. They only last a few gallons before you are left holding just the handle. Replacing them and getting the caw to catch rite is a P.I.T.A. The rear tires wont last long and like to tear apart. The smell of gass will drive you nuts unless you stuff it in a plastic bag to carry in in the car. Unless you go out and buy a pick up truck just to tote around your 5B/T.

The LST2 is rock solid with a Dynamite engine brace, and RPM arms. Thats $50 for upgrades to make the truck able to jump and tumble with no worries. You cant even get a gas capfor the 5B for $50[:@]. Nitro is $30 a gallon. A 5B clutch, wich wont last more than 2 gallons, is $37.99. Eather way you are burning up money every time you run.

My LST2

My old 5B

Old 08-31-2009, 11:26 PM
vatoed
My Feedback: (3)

I myself own 21 Rc Cars. 2 of which are 5th scale, one is a baja and the other a redcat rampage. This year I ran my baja for 1 tank and hit a bad landing and have'nt fixed it because I just don't feel I got my moneys worth of driving for what I broke. I have driven my redcat rampage for 1 tank because I melted the tranny gears, and I ordered the all metal set but have not installed them because I just don't think it's that worth the hassle of having to fix them because they break so often from all the extra weight.
I Own a LST XXL, A LST2, and 2 aftershocks all of them in stock form except the Alum. Clutch shoes and the Losi Tuned pipe and maybe some slight other un needed stuff. And I must say that I bash those sooooo Hard that my buddies just love watching me drive them around and go through anything, jump anything, land however you want or have to land. As a matter of fact I just won the Long Jump contest in Monster truck class with my LST XXL at the Bash a Palooza in Joliet and did'nt even break a single piece on my truck.
Whenever someone asks me what my favorite RC vehicle is, I without a doubt say It's my LST's
I own T-maxx's, Revo, Hpi's, Kyosho's, Schumacher's, Tamiya's, and some other cars and trucks, and ALWAYS enjoy my LST XXL the most.

Hope this helps.
I just like to take any chance I can to sing praise to Losi's Monster.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:19 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gassers IMO are still a few years off from the point where, for me anyway, they'd be interesting.. The 5T is a good step in that direction, but until they get a full on 4WD with the jumping a bashing ability - AND durability - of a 1/8 MT, I wouldn't bother.. Especially for the prices..
Old 09-01-2009, 05:41 AM
Nytro97
My Feedback: (2)

vatoed has spelled it out well. The baja is not even in the same class as a LST2.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:18 AM
Foxy

lol at some of the comments here. OK guys, you play with your LSTs. All my gassers see more runtime than my Mugen MBX5T prospec, which I sincerely hope you'll all agree, is a much better vehicle than the LST2.

Losifiend... 12 mins, fine. I used to get OVER 40 from my 5b. Also, you changed your tune between locations? If so, I hope there was either a massive elevation or temperature difference in the places you run, otherwise you were wasting your time or had a very finnicky carb. I have to tweak 'some' of my engines between summer and winter, and that's it. 5th scales aren't for jumping. Not unless you are prepared to pay. Your clutches didn't last because you ran on sand and didn't run an enclosed bell, and if you didn't run an enclosed bell because it was too expensive, then you can't really complain about the clutches now, can you? What it comes down to is the fact that you were not prepared to bear the expense of trying to run a 5b like 1/8th monster truck. A 5B is not a 1/8th monster truck.

As for the cost of upgrades, that's not really a factor is it? Considering the car itself costs 3 times an LST2, and is over 3 times the size, what on earth did you guys expect? lol, I give up.

I didn't like the 5B that much, sold mine as well, thought the handling wasn't very good. My other 4 gassers are all more fun to drive than the 5b. I had spent a lot of money on it as well. Here's a pic...

However, even though I didn't like it that much, it's still several leagues higher up the hobby than an LST2. Anyone who says otherwise is entitled to their opinion of course, but they are kidding themselves. By this logic, a Pinto is a better car than a Ferrari, cos the upgrades are cheaper and you don't care if you smash it. Gimme a break.

Here's the Stealth Bajomber shortly before she was sold...

There's no argument here about which is technically superior, the only argument is personal preference, which of course we all have, one way or the other. If you prefer an LST to a Baja, well that's fantastic! Think how much money you'll save!

Old 09-01-2009, 12:39 PM
HerrSavage

I don't buy at all that a Mugen truggy is necessarily "better" than an LST2.. Around a well groomed race track, sure.. My RC8T is awesome, but it's not "better" than the LST2 IMO(except around a track, but there's a lot more to RCing than just racing..) Apples and oranges.. My LST2's will be the last RC's I sell.. They are very tough and reliable, fast, handle fantastically, and replacement parts are silly cheap.. LST2's have been around for what, 3-4 years, and they are still "current" - as in, as good or better than any other RC's in their class. I'll have my LST2's for a good bit to come too, without feeling like I'm running outdated stuff(like I defo would with say a Savage...)

Sorry foxy, 1/5 gassers still haven't figured out how to be cool - IMO of course... They have their strengths (being able to run on gas station cheap gas is the only one AFAIC..), but they just don't have the speed, agility, flying ability, reliability, sound, looks, and right price of an LST2.. And trucks are just cooler than buggies.. So you've got the cool factor too.. (Those FG things don't count.. - they look and sound like heavy lawn-mowers..)

Basher:

Racer:

Old 09-01-2009, 02:04 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

All my gassers see more runtime than my Mugen MBX5T prospec, which I sincerely hope you'll all agree, is a much better vehicle than the LST2.
I definitely agree with this statement, this is not the right forum for a 1/8 scale VS large scale debate, as the LST2 is a poor representation of a 1/8 scale bash truck. I would feel much more comfortable jumping and bashing the Baja's 4mm chassis than the LST2's paper thin, stamped 6061-0 deck braced with brittle plastic, but that doesn't mean large scales would be anywhere near my first choice for a jump/bash truck.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:11 PM
HerrSavage

.. Sigh..
Old 09-01-2009, 03:12 PM
full maxx

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

.. Sigh..
yeah here we go again...hey hpi what happen to the 60 ft jump for the contest, oh wait I know...excuses excuses (hes just selling wolf tickets)
Old 09-01-2009, 06:50 PM
animalnut

Well I think I will stick with my lst2
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...0/P1010004.jpg

by the way thanks for all the input was considering putting it up for sale but nnnnaaaaa it's just to much fun!
Old 09-01-2009, 08:32 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Dont get me wrong: the LST trucks are great trucks, and they can take alot before breaking. As a matter of fact, whenever suggesting a new truck for a newb who wants to enter the hobby, I too suggest the Aftershock as one of his options to buy.

Gassers, however, is where my heart is. No, a gasser will never catch as much sick air as an LST, Revo, or Savage, but gassers are superior in lack of tuning (tune once and forget), tank runtime, and fuel cost. Believe it or not, gassers will pay for themselves rather quickly in fuel cost, especially how much nitro costs today. Yes, they cost alot initially, but over time, they pay forthemselvs in terms of fuel. And surprisingly, a gasoline RC engine is cheaper than some nitro engines!

The LST is a great truck, I agree, and it is easily one of the best 8th scale trucks in my mind. But comparing the LST to a gasser, or actually, comparing ANY 8th scale, be it Savage, Revo, Cenchain GST/Nemesis/Genesis, etc. to a gasser is really impossible. You are looking at two totally different beasts that should never be compared because each is profoundly different with each with advantages and disadvantages that cannot nor should be compared.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Sugafree

ORIGINAL: HPI_Savage_RC

All my gassers see more runtime than my Mugen MBX5T prospec, which I sincerely hope you'll all agree, is a much better vehicle than the LST2.
I definitely agree with this statement, this is not the right forum for a 1/8 scale VS large scale debate, as the LST2 is a poor representation of a 1/8 scale bash truck. I would feel much more comfortable jumping and bashing the Baja's 4mm chassis than the LST2's paper thin, stamped 6061-0 deck braced with brittle plastic, but that doesn't mean large scales would be anywhere near my first choice for a jump/bash truck.
You sure make some Dumb post for someone that thinks he's so Smart.......

I Wish I Lived Closer as I'd Show you that My LST2 Is Faster that your Savage.....Handles Better Than your Savage and Will Out Bash your Savage..... Period

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.