Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > M.A.A.C.
Reload this Page >

Nats - MAAC's premier event

Community
Search
Notices
M.A.A.C. Discuss Model Aeronautics Association of Canada policies, decisions & any other MAAC related topics here.

Nats - MAAC's premier event

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 11:56 AM
kenair
My Feedback: (10)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Nats - MAAC's premier event

I'd ask the question on the rc can but since I no longer welcomed there - so here it is.

The Nats as well as many other contests in the last few years have suffered low attendance, the trend is that maac members are flying recreationaly. It as been acknowledged by Dave Brown, the AMA prez. that this recreational trend is in the AMA as well.

So I am puzzled, as to why the MAAC board is committed to having the Nats as thier premier event, when the last few Nats have been nothing more that a regional contest.

I support having a Nats and support competition, but as a premier type of activity where the majority of the membership are not into, well I wonder about the reasoning behind the decision.

Since I am being publicly accused of rudeness to Mrs Shaw I am going to break a long standing personal rule and reply on this public web site.
The problem with using the net as a forum is that there is always someone who will take the conversation to a lower level of innuendo,accusation,and insult ,tempers flare and nothing gets accomplished and in the long run the situation is worse.
For that reason I will not for any reason or with any provocation contribute anything further to this thread.
I have known Mrs Shaw for at least 35 years ,have always liked her and still do.At the Nats I sought her out to say hello and made a point of the same with Mr Shaw and his two daughters.
Any accusation of anything but exemplary behavior on my part at all other times at the Nats is a lie.
The incident to which Mr Russel (I do not know Mr Russel)alludes has to do with a telepnone call I made to Mr Shaw to get an explanation when I first heard of him ciculating a letter and Email coast to coast regarding his opinon of lack of insurance coverage that many here will remember.
Since he had bypassed the Insurance chair and had given no warning to the executive of his intended communication to say I was upset is an understatement since his action blinded sided us all and caused immediate and total chaos at the board and executive level of MAAC.I cannot and will not comment further on this subject as it is still an active board file .
Mrs Shaw answered the phone and advised Mr Shaw was not home .I asked that she give him a message to call me.Any of you who know Barb Shaw understand she has always been a very involved "MAAC Wife",understands the politics and gives 100% support to Gerry in his MAAC activities and so asked me what the problem was .
I made the mistake of discussing it with her which I should not have done.Doubtless I raised my voice in sheer frustration with Mr Shaw,s actions but I do not remember using profanity and I hope I did not.
For my rudeness,lack of judgement and loss of contol I publicly apologize to Barb Shaw.
I want to add I did not try to bury this incident,and in fact reported it to the executive committee at the last executive meeting.
I have reported the treatment MAAC and I received at the scale venue of the Nats to the executive committee and it will be their decision of what they see fit to report to the board and the board will decide what if anything happens as a result.Much as I would like quick resolution of any problems MAAC is a very slow reacting machine.
Personal or political opinions and likes/dislikes of individuals have no place at a National MAAC event and only harm the overall image of the SIG which this thread is certainly doing.
For the record I am currently in favor of a centalized all venue Nats and think the core of skilled volunteers in the SW zone did a remarkable job of fast reconstruction in 2005,.and I thank and admire them for the effort. I also want to say that I have been on record for many weeks that if there is a group anywhere in the country especially one centralized as the SW zone who will volunteer to take the Nats for 06 that they also be encouraged to take 07 for continuity and skill building and reconstruction of MAACs premier event.
However as one board member of 13 ,I want to see responsible financial accounting ,a solid business plan,and unbiased cooperative leadership in place as the Nats are rebuilt.That is my job as a board and executive member.I did try to do my part by attending,supporting and competing and would have contributed more given the chance.
I would also like to thank the many competitors friends and officials who did make me welcome ........I enjoyed your company and learned much about the fabulous world of scale at the Nats .No matter what the future brings I will atend and compete again at the Nats...it is a great experience.
I am going to send a copy of this note to all board members of MAAC.
This is the second time I have had to respond to public accusations on RCC and I hope it is the last.I dont think I have any more skeletons in my closet............I certainly hope not.
Sorry but the spell check seems to have taken a break..........

Sincerely Kevin

IMAA 27023
IMAC 3710
"Never pick a fight with seven men when all you are packing is a six shooter" Sherman Potter.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:58 PM
Jim_McIntyre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nats - MAAC's premier event

ORIGINAL: kenair
... but since I no longer welcomed there ...
Says a lot don't it?

Seriously Ken, is it your strategy to start a new thread on the same subject whenever the old thread doesn't go the way you'd hoped or you're confronted with questions you don't care to answer? Don't answer, the question is rhetorical.