Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > M.A.A.C.
Reload this Page >

Upcoming Zone meetings / Safety Code.

Notices
M.A.A.C. Discuss Model Aeronautics Association of Canada policies, decisions & any other MAAC related topics here.

Upcoming Zone meetings / Safety Code.

Old 08-31-2005, 07:53 AM
Sharpy01
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Upcoming Zone meetings / Safety Code.

With the upcoming zone meetings and recent discussions related to the safety code, perhaps we should examine the document and toss around some changes. Maybe we can get a few resolutions before the board.

Link to the safety code: http://maac.ca/docs/doc_safety_code_e.pdf

Number 1 on my list would be the removal of:

Sec. 1

6. I will not intentionally fly over an active public thoroughfare.

Without any form of a definition of "active public thoroughfare", we have provided an insurance loophole you could drive a liberal election bus through. By that def, every hwy, road, trail, path or farmers field where someone rides a horse once in a while is off-limits. I've seen a number of clubs where the road in passes off the end of one of the runways, which excludes them from following the safety code. I believe this is one that should be removed and allow the clubs to make their own rules related to their geography.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:31 AM
Sharpy01

Default RE: Upcoming Zone meetings / Safety Code.

Next priority on the list would be the complete removal of;

Section 4.7 R/C 3D Aerobatics (Airplanes)

This one absolutley reeks of someone getting miffed at some event by one or two pilots and enacting a wide-ranging, poorly thought out restrictions to impose on everyone. No, I'm not a "3D" flyer and certainly don't like someone hovering a 1/3 scale extra in my face while I fly, but defining "low-level" as "below 10m! It's just not smart to place a set latitude on any type of flying in writing in the safety code.

I'll challenge anyone to fly a model by at what they believe is 32.808399 feet (10m) in front of a dozen other pilots and then ask them what they thought the altitude was? The point is you will get 12 different answers and fodder for some lawyer if things go bad.

Pilots flying poorly and without regard for others is a problem of event directors and club members to deal with at the time it's taking place. IMO
Old 08-31-2005, 10:05 AM
Jim_McIntyre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No arguments here.[X(]
Old 08-31-2005, 11:08 AM
britbrat

Amen
Old 08-31-2005, 11:40 AM
Sharpy01

Well, then we should work on some proper wording for a resolutions to effect the changes. It would be particularly helpful if the resolutions came from more than one zone. We should enlist the help of someone who can properly word it for presentation that will not be tossed on proceedural matters. I do believe I know just the guy.

there are a few more passages in there that we should be looking at as well.

............You realize of course, we could be on the path to the first documented case of a forum being the catalyst for accomplishing actual change within the association.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:15 AM
Morison

The problem is that the safety code/guidelines are a separate document from the Constitution and By-laws (thank god) and as such are not subject to change by resolution. They are, effectively, MAAC policy and are enacted, under recommendation of the safety committee, by the board of directors. The only way to change these documents is by well worded and argued recommendations to the board.

Be advised that once a safety measure has been enacted, revoking it for 'convenience' sake would definitely open the association to liability. Frankly, now that we have the document - it is tough to eliminate or soften it.

Without a doubt, a good route to have gone would have been guidelines that lead people to make the right field layout and understand the reasons for the designs. Rather than restricting flight over an active thoroughfare, suggesting that field layout should not allow for models and vehicular traffic to conflict would be the better route ...

There are ways to fix some of this, and there are definitely issues with the document. Probably the best solution to fixing these problems is to stick up your hands and serve on the safety committee! That is where the power really is on this one.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:23 AM
Sharpy01

I realize it's very Canadian to refer everything to committees to study everything to death as opposed to taking action in a timely fashion, but I think no-brainers should be dealt with asap by the board and the quickest vehicle for folks like myself who no longer have the time to serve on committee is to take it to a zone meeting.

Be it resolution or recommendation, as long as it meets the proper wording and format, the board should give it as much weight as any other issue that comes from an AZM. The committee members are generally no more experts than any other member of the board or general membership, they're usual expert qualification is that they have the time.

Making AZM's relevant with the general membership is a long-standing problem, but held up as the vehicle for change. If it's only the committees that "have the power".......................... what's the point of having or attending AZM's?

I think these issues with the safety code need to be fixed/eliminated and the quicker the better.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:48 AM
Jim_McIntyre

I think you answered your own question;

Committees are there to action recommendations (among other things). There is no such thing as a "no brainer" (imho that's how we get into these messes). What makes sense to you and I, may not make sense to other disciplines and vice versa. I recall many discussions about safety rule recommendations at past zone meetings and even AGMs. It's amazing what happens (and what you learn) when you have practitioners of many different disciplines in a room. What may be considered safe practice for one discipline may be unsafe for another. This, to my mind, is a large component of the safety committee's responsibility. To communicate and co-ordinate with the other committees and ZD (because geography and environment may be a factor).

In fact, I think we're talking about this not because we want new rules put in effect but, because these new rules impact us negatively, and this is a result of an incomplete communication before putting these rules in place.

There is a purpose for committees, I think the issue is effectiveness of process (or lack thereof).
Old 09-01-2005, 02:32 PM
Sharpy01

......problem is, these new rules came from the safety committee.

It didn't work. Thus, it would seem to me the smart move would be for the membership to correct it through the established process of the AZM's via resolutions and recommendations. It's the most direct and quickest route for board action.................where the "real power" is.

Why should any member be discouraged from presenting changes through the established process? If someone goes through the effort to properly present a change and provides reasonable reasoning, why should the board not consider it directly? They BOD are all modellers and intelligent people capable of making informed choice. It is not necessary to refer everything to committee.

The problem with much of these new safety rules is that they came from the safety committee and the board voted for it on the assumption that everything was well thought out and didn't have/take the time to review each change.................I know, I was there and fell victim to that same thought process. It was a mistake I have readily admitted and I'll do what I can to correct it.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Jim_McIntyre

I think we're close to agreement on this one, if the process was flawed, let's get it fixed rather than scrapping it.
The board has enough to do without taking on the duties of the committees as well, if the committee is not effective, or not doing due dilligence, then perhaps they need some advice.... I don't know, I've never had interaction with the safety committee...

Further, a committee is comprised of humans who can make mistakes, just like you ... and me. Let's not try to place blame, let's fix and move forward.[8D]
Old 09-01-2005, 03:42 PM
Sharpy01

agreed. ..........again..............what the f........

Anyway, the blame I place in on myself as I was on the board when much of this came into effect. We rubber-stamped the changes without proper review. []
Old 09-01-2005, 10:20 PM
jhelps

ORIGINAL: Sharpy01

agreed. ..........again..............what the f........

Anyway, the blame I place in on myself as I was on the board when much of this came into effect. We rubber-stamped the changes without proper review. []
YOU BAS^&*D !!!!!

Did you miss me while I was in Ottawa?

JH
Old 09-01-2005, 10:35 PM
Sharpy01

Yeah, I missed you man.

.....I hope you didn't absorb any more of the left-wing, politically correct nonsense while in the political hub of stupidity. (Nice city otherwise) Funny, I never hear about the Ottawa coppers complaining about manpower and lack of equipment? I have to go down there for a couple of weeks in November. I'll just have to bring a big bag of right-wing common-sense with me and sneak around at night planting it in the ditches. I may have to renew my membership at the national aviation museum so I can go stare at the nose of the Arrow and cuss the one Westerner I can't forgive. That's the best part about the Ponnie Soldier college as it's walking distance to the museum.

Regardless, nice to have you back. As you can see, hell has almost frozen over with all this agreement, but I think o'l davey boy has managed to push the right buttons to get everyone disagreeing again. [:-]

....chuckle....
Old 09-01-2005, 10:46 PM
jhelps

Go to the new war museum. very nice although it too has its political statements (Do not believe a painting of Kyle Brown belongs there) and there is some political correctness that it could do without, however the displays are great.

JH