Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > M.A.A.C.
Reload this Page >

MAAC + Transportation

Community
Search
Notices
M.A.A.C. Discuss Model Aeronautics Association of Canada policies, decisions & any other MAAC related topics here.

MAAC + Transportation

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 12:09 AM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAAC + Transportation

Exactly what is our organizations role when it comes to the Ministry of Transportation?

Thanks for helping me understand!
Old 10-09-2005, 10:36 AM
Hughes500E

Default RE: MAAC + Transportation

No one can help me []
Old 10-09-2005, 02:22 PM
DP01
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This excerpt is taken from "Gelcoat" on RCC:

http://www.rccanada.ca/bb/viewtopic....r=asc&start=30

"Secondly, anything that flies from 6 inches to unlimited abvove ground is under the control of Transport Canada whether we like it or not. This TC responsibility was emphasized by the government sight after the famous 9 / 11 event. However, TC was not equipped nor manned to regulate and control R/C. So, they turned to MAAC and invited us to participate in the TC program by accepting to be part of the quasi-government process responsible for ALL model aircraft flight. MAAC agreed and the process is now ongoing for MAAC to be recognized in the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CAR) as the official canadian agency governing model flight. This is a very good thing because we know what modelling is all about. Had we refused, TC would then have lumped us with some other sport flying groups such as gliders or ultra-lights and we would then have been subjected to some if not many of their rules. That could have been disastrous for modelling as we now know it."

Transport Canada most definately does have reponsibility for anything that flies and it is in MAAC's interest to cooperate with them. At present there are very few rules listed in CARS that apply to models.

The CARS may be found at:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/Re...PART4/menu.htm

Definitions (including "Model Airplane') are listed in Part 1, subpart 1.

"model aircraft" - means an aircraft, the total weight of which does not exceed 35 kg (77.2 pounds), that is mechanically driven or launched into flight for recreational purposes and that is not designed to carry persons or other living creatures; (modèle réduit d'aéronef)

Operating and flight rules are listed in part VI, subpart 2 (Specific to model aircraft) is:602.45 which reads

"Model Aircraft, Kites and Model Rockets

602.45 No person shall fly a model aircraft or a kite or launch a model rocket or a rocket of a type used in a fireworks display into cloud or in a manner that is or is likely to be hazardous to aviation safety."

That's all there is with regard to model aircraft… for now. When changes are forthcoming, better that MAAC has some input!

Hopefully this is what you are inquiring about.

Dennis
Old 10-10-2005, 08:30 AM
Sharpy01
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dennis hits the nail on the head.

TC is an organization we need to stay close to.

In actual fact, our relationsship with TC had slipped to a point that the current Fereally administration didn't know we existed and it was by chance that then President, Bransfield, heard about TC's intention to investigate the regulation of R/C and began the process Dennis describes. If I recall correctly, it stemmed from the US and the "Homeland Defence" investigating the regulation/restriction/ban etc of R/C stuff.

..........those boyz have the ultimate hammer over us.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:43 AM
Hughes500E

Thanks Dennis,marc!
I am in a position of defense. Like many others involved with the clubs, defending MAAC is continual. Just a little heavier lately
This helps a lot.

My next question, frequency protection!
How much effort does it require to protect them?
Old 10-10-2005, 10:18 AM
Sharpy01
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again, this was an area that got left by the wayside for a number of years, but MAAC's admission onto the RABC (Radio advisory board of Canada) (Again, an initiative of Prez Bransfield) was an important step in monitoring frequency use.

The RABC kindof regulates frequency use, but my understanding is that it's more of an issue of co-operation within the members on that board. There is no "real" enforcement. (I stand to be corrected) There is some industrial use of our frequencies, but it is very limited and our's are apparently the "cleanest" frequencies out there, mostly because there are better options for industry.

That said, there has been some movement to use our frequencies, but some education from MAAC has been able to persuade in our favour. I recall one incident where it was discovered a large construction crane using related frequencies for some of it's operation. They weren't too happy to learn that some kid with a store-bought toy could potentially interfere with a rather important peice of their equipment.

As one vote on the RABC, we don't have massive influence, but we certainly keep up on any industry initiatives to head off any potential problems. The bottom line is there are apparently better choices for industry, but we need to be there to know what's happening.