Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > M.A.A.C.
Reload this Page >

How Many Competitions are there in Canada

Community
Search
Notices
M.A.A.C. Discuss Model Aeronautics Association of Canada policies, decisions & any other MAAC related topics here.

How Many Competitions are there in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 01:06 PM
mustang one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Many Competitions are there in Canada

I know that in the US there is a competition every weekend. What about Canada[sm=confused.gif] Where and when are the competitions this year.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:35 PM
Jim_McIntyre

Default RE: How Many Competitions are there in Canada

Sadly, they are few and far between, especially for Scale. IMAC seems to be the most healthy at this time.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:36 PM
Jim_McIntyre

Didn't answer all your questions.

For a list of events (including competitions), check the [link=http://www.maac.ca]MAAC site[/link]
Old 02-04-2006, 09:23 AM
mustang one

So Jim why is this new event such a problem. People willing to do it at their own expence doesn't seem to be a problem to me.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:14 AM
ccrebidoux
My Feedback: (3)

I guess the problem is the way the organizers went about doing this.

The $2000 from the 2005 profits that they are holding. Why?? By the president of CAC's own admission, they don't need it. So why hang onto it??? Childish. Reminds me of a grade school bully holding someones' lunch money until a higher authority comes along and makes them give it back. Then they say, "what??? I was just kidding."

Just a bunch of one-upmanship. They don't give the money back, MAAC denies their sanction, CS has a lawyer send out a ridiculous letter, MAAC's lawyer sends out a letter telling them to get stuffed (not in those words). I'm so sick of this I could puke![:'(]

The organizers of CAC make like they are the good guys and the evil MAAC isn't letting them play. If they really wanted to be the good guys and wanted to extend the olive branch, GIVE THE MONEY BACK unasked!!!!!! They started this.

Oh, and since you went and got Chuck's side of the story, why don't you call Carl Laydon?? I beleive his number is in the MAAC mag. I mean fair is fair, you get Chuck's side of the story, why not get MAAC's side also, to make an honest, unbiased opinion. You're much further ahead than I am, I e-mailed Chuck asking for his side of the story and got stonewalled with a reply of "can't answer due to pending legal actions" AND got cc'd into his lawyers' big bad letter.

I hate politics and I REALLY hate this s*it. I'm going back to what I was doing before. BUILD, FLY AND HAVE FUN, that's what this HOBBY is supposed to be about.

Chris Rebidoux
Old 02-05-2006, 10:31 AM
Sharpy01
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... he won't call Layden because he never made the original call. More of th same BS gamemanship. As stupid as this may sound, it's been all about ego, and some strange sense of knowing better than the majority and vision of how MAAC should be run and who is entitled to manage it? When their vision is regected, they refuse to accept the will of majority and work in this subversive fashion to try and regain some measure of control................

.............. power and control in the toy airplane world. Told you it would sound stupid, but it is a study lesson of; "politics is politics".
Old 02-05-2006, 10:37 AM
sam369

Sadly, they are few and far between, especially for Scale. IMAC seems to be the most healthy at this time.
There should be joy and happiness in our hearts that members feel empowered to fly how & what they feel and not be pressured to conform to some ones ideas of what maac and aeromodelling should be.

There is sadness that a few FAI types try to keep maac in the FAI ACC arena through personal attacks and spin instead of recognizing that the vast majority of maac members do not care about fai and in most parts are not into competition.

Instead of embracing what the majority are into (fun flying) and supporting & growing, this small group continues to impede the change and growth, the way there are bent out of shape over the Nats and FAI are a sign of this.

Nats have been gone for years, let have nice send off and remember our Nats days with fond memories - times change.

cheers-

Old 02-06-2006, 08:23 AM
Jim_McIntyre

ORIGINAL: sam369
There is sadness that a few FAI types try to keep maac in the FAI ACC arena through personal attacks and spin instead of recognizing that the vast majority of maac members do not care about fai and in most parts are not into competition.
Not sure what you're smoking but, I only see attacks on FAI supporters here ... not the inverse.

Instead of embracing what the majority are into (fun flying) and supporting & growing, this small group continues to impede the change and growth, the way there are bent out of shape over the Nats and FAI are a sign of this.
Who's attacking fun? I like to have fun like the next guy, I'm sure my fellow competitors feel the same.

Nats have been gone for years, let have nice send off and remember our Nats days with fond memories - times change.

cheers
Hmmnnn... I seem to recall a Nats last year....

Let me get this straight. Many people desire a Nationals ... but you would prefer to suppress this form of fun in favour of your own flavour? How are Nationals spoling your form of fun, is someone forcing you to read these forums and that's getting you down? What's your beef with people who enjoy forms of fun different than the ones you limit yourself to?
Old 02-07-2006, 08:32 AM
300sflyer
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: ccrebidoux

The organizers of CAC make like they are the good guys and the evil MAAC isn't letting them play. If they really wanted to be the good guys and wanted to extend the olive branch, GIVE THE MONEY BACK unasked!!!!!! They started this.

Chris Rebidoux
BINGO!!
Old 02-07-2006, 08:46 AM
britbrat

Exactly
Old 02-07-2006, 08:51 AM
300sflyer

cheers-

Sorry, but your ill-informed. Many of MAACs SIGs have held a Nats on an individual basis for years, and are planning to do so again this year. I know, I ran one.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:43 AM
kevin mcgrath
My Feedback: (1)

Please go to the MAAC web site and re-read the history of why there will be no all SIG Nats in 06.
Only the small group that formed the "CAC" can explain the manner and timing they used to withdraw the Nats bid that was in place and pre approved by the MAAC board,and their announcement of the" CAC,s" creation .
It would have been so easy in my opinion to have had another Nats at Chatham and quite probably a committment for more than one year as some of us would have preferred.

There will be at least two SIG Nats this summer.........R/C Scale Aerobatics in Montreal,and one other that is being finalized as we speak.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:23 AM
Jabba

ORIGINAL: kevin mcgrath

Please go to the MAAC web site and re-read the history of why there will be no all SIG Nats in 06.
Only the small group that formed the "CAC" can explain the manner and timing they used to withdraw the Nats bid that was in place and pre approved by the MAAC board,and their announcement of the" CAC,s" creation .
It would have been so easy in my opinion to have had another Nats at Chatham and quite probably a committment for more than one year as some of us would have preferred.

There will be at least two SIG Nats this summer.........R/C Scale Aerobatics in Montreal,and one other that is being finalized as we speak.
So Kevin IF CAC gives MAAC $2000. will MAAC Sanction the CAC event?
Old 02-07-2006, 10:24 AM
Jabba

Here is a message off the SW Zone web site:

The time is right for a new club to take up the challenge of competition. The CAC (Canadian Aeromodellers Club) has done just this. They have come together to create an opportunity for MAAC Members, interested in competing, at the same time, same place each year.

This does not take the place of the Canadian MAAC National competition. It enhances the opportunity for people of like mind, to come together for the purpose of competition. The CAC is simply a group of dedicated MAAC members creating a venue to hold major competitions. It is a venue for the Scale Masters Qualifier, The Top Gun Qualifier, and the soon to be held, the Jet Masters Qualifier.

The people behind this club, Cliff Russell, Norm McClellan, Peter Dupnik and Gerry Shaw are all experienced planners and organizers. They have, between them, 12 major competitions and will do a great job in this endeavour.

It is my understanding that the membership is growing and is expected to be quite high. The people who have joined are from a number of different zones, all interested in having a great event each and every year. This is a tall order and the more members they have the easier it will be to finance the events. The membership fee is only $5.00 with all funds going to offset costs of the event.

The South West Zone and myself as Director, appreciate the initiative of these members. This zone has a great history of creating new opportunities for the membership of MAAC and this is no exception. My personal congratulations to Cliff, Norm, Peter, and Gerry for taking on this new and exciting event.

Charles Smith
SW Zone Director
Old 02-07-2006, 11:44 AM
Propworn

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jabba

Why would the CAC a (non recognized by MAAC) group calling themselves a club give $2000 to MAAC. Are they trying to buy MAAC insurance? Are they trying to buy club recognition? If this is the moneys from the NATS 2005 what are they doing with it I thought Gerry still had it at least that is what you said at our club meeting. This sounds down right shifty to me.

Old 02-07-2006, 12:01 PM
Propworn

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Here is a message off the SW Zone web site:

The CAC is simply a group of dedicated MAAC members creating a venue to hold major competitions. It is a venue for the Scale Masters Qualifier, The Top Gun Qualifier, and the soon to be held, the Jet Masters Qualifier.
If I remember right these were all announced at the closing ceremonies of the 2005 NATS which to me means that they were most likely negotiated with the principals under the assumption this was to be part of a MAAC event. I wonder how they would feel about the present situation hopefully they will be contacted and told of the present situation.

It is my understanding that the membership is growing and is expected to be quite high. The people who have joined are from a number of different zones, all interested in having a great event each and every year. This is a tall order and the more members they have the easier it will be to finance the events. The membership fee is only $5.00 with all funds going to offset costs of the event.

Charles Smith
SW Zone Director
Membership is $5 beware of what you pay for. This may not be what you are expecting as a normal club. My understanding is there are a few select members who hold office and vote the rest are associate members with no voting power. You will pay $5 will that allow you to vote on club business? Will you be able to vote for officers of this club? Will you be able to hold office in this club? Will you be able to ask them to financially account for themselves? So ask yourselves what your $5 gets you?????? I have also heard there is a black ball list of MAAC members who will not be allowed to join this club. If you ask too many questions or rock the boat could your name be added to that list? Remember who are the only ones who will vote on something like that???? At least if you buy a share in a company or join MAAC you have a small say in the venture with your one vote.

Old 02-07-2006, 12:19 PM
300sflyer

You know, one could almost interpret this as a bribe, to try to reverse the previous 12 to 1 decision made by the MAAC Board...

Ironically, the $2000 [or $2100] really belongs to MAAC and its membership anyway!!

Unbelievable!![sm=rolleyes.gif]
Old 02-07-2006, 12:28 PM
kevin mcgrath
My Feedback: (1)

Jabba...........

The"CAC" is not a MAAC sanctioned organization, a motion to accept it having been defeated by a 12 to 1 vote of the MAAC board of directors.
This is detailed on the MAAC web site ,as you are well aware.
As a current board member and a member of the executive committee I cant make my personal views and opinions public much as I might like,and I choose to support, and voted in favor of the board,s actions.
I am not sure,other than free advertising , what your purpose is in posting Mr Smiths comments above, but all who read them should understand that this is his statement alone and does not reflect the opinions and decisions of MAAC,s board of directors or it,s executive committee. ..
Old 02-07-2006, 02:24 PM
sivlE

Jabba...........

The!QUOT!CAC!QUOT! is not a MAAC sanctioned organization, a motion to accept it having been defeated by a 12 to 1 vote of the MAAC board of directors.
As a current board member and a member of the executive committee I cant make my personal views and opinions public much as I might like,and I choose to support, and voted in favor of the board,s actions.
I am not sure,other than free advertising , what your purpose is in posting Mr Smiths comments above, but all who read them should understand that this is his statement alone and does not reflect the opinions and decisions of MAAC,s board of directors or it,s executive committee. ..
Nor do his opinions reflect all of the SW zone membership. (MAAC # 49738 John Mainwaring SW zone)
I happen to know 2 of the CAC members and know them to be upstanding guys with only the interest of promoting our hobby at heart. The way in which this came about however, is very disturbing to me and a lot of the SW zone members. There is absolutely no reason for all of this controversy over this situation. It is my opinion that Protocol was not followed by our zone director from the onset and as a result friendships are being lost, private clubs and clicks being are being established, our governing body is being bad mouthed and there is no NATS in Chatham to attend this year. I am waiting to see what the final outcome of this will be before I even think of attending a CAC event. I am hoping that MAAC will find an amicable solution to our problems.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:32 PM
Jabba

ORIGINAL: Propworn

Why would the CAC a (non recognized by MAAC) group calling themselves a club give $2000 to MAAC. Are they trying to buy MAAC insurance? Are they trying to buy club recognition? If this is the moneys from the NATS 2005 what are they doing with it I thought Gerry still had it at least that is what you said at our club meeting. This sounds down right shifty to me.

just asked a question....
Old 02-07-2006, 02:34 PM
Jabba

ORIGINAL: sivlE

Jabba...........

The!QUOT!CAC!QUOT! is not a MAAC sanctioned organization, a motion to accept it having been defeated by a 12 to 1 vote of the MAAC board of directors.
Nor do his opinions reflect all of the SW zone membership. (MAAC # 49738 John Mainwaring SW zone)
I happen to know 2 of the CAC members and know them to be upstanding guys with only the interest of promoting our hobby at heart. The way in which this came about however, is very disturbing to me and a lot of the SW zone members. There is absolutely no reason for all of this controversy over this situation. It is my opinion that Protocol was not followed by our zone director from the onset and as a result friendships are being lost, private clubs and clicks being are being established, our governing body is being bad mouthed and there is no NATS in Chatham to attend this year. I am waiting to see what the final outcome of this will be before I even think of attending a CAC event. I am hoping that MAAC will find an amicable solution to our problems.
yes your right John.... just most of them.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:36 PM
Jabba

Jabba...........

The"CAC" is not a MAAC sanctioned organization, a motion to accept it having been defeated by a 12 to 1 vote of the MAAC board of directors.

Well if you go by the MAAC BY-LAWS the CAC has the RIGHT to a hearing.

WHEN is this going to take place?

The CAC does have the paper work SIGNED by the MAAC president.

Old 02-07-2006, 02:42 PM
Jabba

ORIGINAL: sivlE

Jabba...........

geee.... if you download the Club form from the MAAC web site.... which was filled out by the CAC.
YOU then send it to YOUR ZD ONLY his signature is required ont he FORM.... NO other Board member or EXECUTIVE member signature is needed to ACCEPT a club. (according to MAAC's OWN FORM)

The CAC is a FAST growning Club with well over 30 member at this time.

here click on the link and take a look for yourself

http://www.maac.ca/docs/forms/2006/2...b_Reg_Form.pdf

Old 02-07-2006, 03:52 PM
300sflyer

From the MAAC website,

http://www.maac.ca/view_news.php?itm=62

"Recently, an application was received for club membership by a group calling itself the "Canadian Aeromodelling Club" the "CAC". At the same time, a sanction request for what was called the "Canadian Aeromodelling Championships", to be sponsored by the CAC, was also presented to MAAC. The By-Laws provide that club affiliate membership is subject to acceptance by the Board. After consideration of the request, the Board voted twelve to one in favour of rejecting the application. As a result, club affiliate membership was not granted, and consequently, as CAC did not become a club affiliate member, any claims that it is hosting an event sanctioned by MAAC are false."

The application below, clearly states that the board has the right to refuse membership.

http://www.maac.ca/docs/forms/form_charter_e.pdf
Old 02-07-2006, 04:05 PM
Jabba

A CLUB does NOT need a SANCTION from MAAC to hold a EVENT.

NEXT as Mike has pointed out the Board did vote to withdraw the CAC Club AFFILATION.

BUT again the MAAC BY-LAWS also state that the club has the RIGHT to a HEARING on this matter. WHICH the CAC has not had as of YET.

YOU as a MAAC member are cover by insurance as LONG AS YOU have to OK from the LAND OWNER to fly on his/her/there land.

LOTS on MAAC members do not belong to CLUBS but are still covered when flying on land with the OWNERS OK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.