Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > M.A.A.C.
Reload this Page >

Club requirement for insurance

Community
Search
Notices
M.A.A.C. Discuss Model Aeronautics Association of Canada policies, decisions & any other MAAC related topics here.

Club requirement for insurance

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 03:18 PM
Mentor34

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Club requirement for insurance

Well then that answers that question. There is obviously NO COVERAGE OF INSURANCE through MAAC.
The only other question pending will have to be answered by someone in CAC......

Why is there, the requirement to be a MAAC or AMA member to participate on the CAC website?
Old 03-01-2006, 03:41 PM
sivlE

It seems that Our ZD is going to be doing his own research on this. He is obviously not supporting MAAC decisions as you can see from his e-mail he sent to our entire Club below.

To all

As your zone director, it is my responsibility to investigate the legalities of this statement. Iam in the process of doing this at the present time. I will provide you with further information shortly, and explanations as to the purpose of dening MAAC members insurance coverage at events organized by MAAC members. This jepordizes all events in our zone.

Charles Smith
SW Zone Director
Old 03-01-2006, 04:22 PM
Mentor34

BOY OHHHH BOY.....The MAAC BOD are gonna have some fun with this one. Is it not his responsibilty to FOLLOW to directives of MAAC BOD after a descision is made by the BOD as required by CORP CANADA laws?
I wouln't wanna be in HIS shoes right now after doing this..................[X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][sm=drowning.gif][sm=drowning.gif][sm=thumbdown.gif]
Old 03-01-2006, 04:37 PM
adaptabl

ORIGINAL: Mentor34

BOY OHHHH BOY.....The MAAC BOD are gonna have some fun with this one. Is it not his responsibilty to FOLLOW to directives of MAAC BOD after a descision is made by the BOD as required by CORP CANADA laws?
I wouln't wanna be in HIS shoes right now after doing this..................[X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][sm=drowning.gif][sm=drowning.gif][sm=thumbdown.gif]

Is he zone director for us MAAC members or for the CAC group? Mr Smith seems more concerned with the CAC than the MAAC members and clubs he represents. The CAC has every right to organize and put on an event. This has nothing to do with MAAC. Why is our MAAC zone director involved?
Old 03-01-2006, 04:52 PM
sivlE

Very good question adaptabl, I sure would like to see an answer from him on that.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:02 PM
300sflyer
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: sivlE

It seems that Our ZD is going to be doing his own research on this. He is obviously not supporting MAAC decisions as you can see from his e-mail he sent to our entire Club below.

To all

As your zone director, it is my responsibility to investigate the legalities of this statement. Iam in the process of doing this at the present time. I will provide you with further information shortly, and explanations as to the purpose of dening MAAC members insurance coverage at events organized by MAAC members. This jepordizes all events in our zone.

Charles Smith
SW Zone Director
Was there not a directive from MAAC not that long ago, [from our President I believe?] insisting that no other MAAC members [other than those who were approved by the Executive to do so] contact our insurance broker or the insurance company directly, with regards to MAACs insurance policy?

Does anyone else remember this?
Old 03-01-2006, 05:30 PM
adaptabl

ORIGINAL: 300sflyer

ORIGINAL: sivlE

To all

Charles Smith
SW Zone Director
Was there not a directive from MAAC not that long ago, [from our President I believe?] insisting that no other MAAC members [other than those who were approved by the Executive to do so] contact our insurance broker or the insurance company directly, with regards to MAACs insurance policy?

Does anyone else remember this?
Our zone directors version of the organizational chart must have him at the top.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:55 PM
Mentor34

ORIGINAL: adaptabl

Is he zone director for us MAAC members or for the CAC group? Mr Smith seems more concerned with the CAC than the MAAC members and clubs he represents. The CAC has every right to organize and put on an event. This has nothing to do with MAAC. Why is our MAAC zone director involved?

QUOTE FROM JABBA

One Chuck is not on the CAC executive either.
Two Chuck was not the Chairman of the 2005 NATS, just on the committee like about 12 others.
IT has been offered 4 time to MAAC now to sit down and talk this OUT.
MAYBE the just want to spend OUR dues on lawyers.
IF so get on with it.
IF the ZONE members want to know a question they should give him a call, just like all the other ZD they do not seem to answer question posted here or on RCC, so why should Chuck.

According to JABBA............He's not. That's a very good question to ask CAC what he is involved with or WHY?

Another one of things in life that make ya go HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?

Old 03-01-2006, 07:09 PM
Sharpy01
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our zone directors version of the organizational chart must have him at the top.
lol. ....

One has to wonder how many times the word, "legal", and all it's derivatives can be used in the context of Model Airplaneatry?

Unbelievable.

It's curious as to why someone so completely isolated would want to continue down this path?

Bye the bye;

here's all I could get on that insurance email

Please contact your insurance broker for more information.
Thank you,
Karen Lam
Underwriter, Specialty Personal Lines
Premier Marine
t: 604.669.5211 f: 604.669.2667
650-625 Howe Street
Vancouver, BC V6C 2T6
Old 03-02-2006, 12:09 AM
adaptabl

I would recomend anyone with concerns contact Mr Smith on this issue. I now understand his concerns for us members. I believe that most of what is being said has more to due with personalities than facts. Many of the things I have said were said as the result of not having enough information. I am sorry to anyone that I may of offended.

We have a lot of good dediated people with different points of view. Lets fly and have fun.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:14 AM
Morison

Is it not his responsibilty to FOLLOW to directives of MAAC BOD after a descision is made by the BOD as required by CORP CANADA laws?
I wouln't wanna be in HIS shoes right now after doing this...
The announcement of the notice recieved from the insurance company has nothing to do with any BOD decision (directly). MAAC's legal counsil advised that the members be notified of the notice.

Chuck is right when he says it is his duty to further investigate the situation, but some might suggest that his openly questioning the 'legality' of the statement might be considered defamitory to the Presisent, BOD and/or the association's legal council.

I would suspect that the heart of the issue, for the insurance company, is that the organisation that is hosting the event applied for and, depending on which side of the fence you sit, was either denied affiliation or had affiliation revolked. No matter how you cut it - the CAC, as a club, is not recognised by MAAC, and therefore events that it organises would then also not recognised.

This does, kinda, open a can of worms. Events held by a unrecognised sig, but hosted at a club field are now 'grey' in some ways.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:17 AM
ISGUNN

The thing to remember is this is not about a SIG but rather about a non chartered club wanting to hold an event that was to promote scale modelling.They had their charter denied and are still trying to run an event making it mandatory for participants to have MAAC or AMA insurance.As posted by the MAAC organization,after advice from the insurer and legal council,it's no.Plane and simple.I'm sure the ZD for that zone will get the reasoning but won't agree to it,put his own spin on it to keep the fire burning to make the MAAC bod out to be the bad guys.He and his buddies still don't get it.They don't have the support they need,therefore they should drop it untill they can produce a product that is saleable to the bod.Time for that selected group of individuals to act like adults and not spoild brats.
Ian Gunn
MAAC 25307
Old 03-02-2006, 08:10 AM
jhelps

ORIGINAL: Morison

Is it not his responsibilty to FOLLOW to directives of MAAC BOD after a descision is made by the BOD as required by CORP CANADA laws?
I wouln't wanna be in HIS shoes right now after doing this...
The announcement of the notice recieved from the insurance company has nothing to do with any BOD decision (directly). MAAC's legal counsil advised that the members be notified of the notice.

Chuck is right when he says it is his duty to further investigate the situation, but some might suggest that his openly questioning the 'legality' of the statement might be considered defamitory to the Presisent, BOD and/or the association's legal council.

I would suspect that the heart of the issue, for the insurance company, is that the organisation that is hosting the event applied for and, depending on which side of the fence you sit, was either denied affiliation or had affiliation revolked. No matter how you cut it - the CAC, as a club, is not recognised by MAAC, and therefore events that it organises would then also not recognised.

This does, kinda, open a can of worms. Events held by a unrecognised sig, but hosted at a club field are now 'grey' in some ways.
Perhaps the insurance committee could prepar a series of "what if's?" or start a FAQ for specific's. I am now confused between coverage of the member and coverage of the event and land owner. As you say there are a number circumstances that are unclear. I fly from my own property and invite some friends over - is it covered?

Rather than opinions posted here (I would have said that MAAC members were covered at CAC but not the landowners if I was asked to hazard a guess) it's clear we need some more detailed guidance from the insurance committee.

JH
Old 03-02-2006, 09:19 AM
Sharpy01
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that most of what is being said has more to due with personalities than facts.
Absolutely. As they say, "makes it hard to see the forest for the trees".

It's been my experience that most people who are trying to win favour, are quite charming and reasonable when spoken to directly. It's in their best interest. Certainly, nobody would expect Darth Vader to answer the phone? Similarily, most making direct contact would be reasonably polite and would not question or challenge on the contentious issues. Did you ask if consideration was given to the effect of continued internal lawsuit threats might have on the association and it's membership as a whole? Did you ask if zone issues and personality conflict supercede what is best for everyone as a whole?

Did you ask why the BOD now insists that major events such as the NATS follows a set of established guidelines in relation of accounting back to the BOD? (because that is what this latest whole mess is about)etc. etc........ Did you ask how it is possible that the other 12 personalities on the board would continue to be on the opposite side of just about every contentious issue? Did you ask how it is possible that everyone else seems to be wrong on all these issues in spite of many who have multiple years of experience running the association's business?

My point is that regardless of the issue, not all will agree. That is human nature, but at some point you have to work together and do what is best for the association as a whole.

IMO

Old 03-02-2006, 09:53 AM
Mentor34

Sharpy wrote:

Did you ask if consideration was given to the effect of continued internal lawsuit threats might have on the association and it's membership as a whole? Did you ask if zone issues and personality conflict supercede what is best for everyone as a whole?

Did you ask why the BOD now insists that major events such as the NATS follows a set of established guidelines in relation of accounting back to the BOD? (because that is what this latest whole mess is about)etc. etc........ Did you ask how it is possible that the other 12 personalities on the board would continue to be on the opposite side of just about every contentious issue? Did you ask how it is possible that everyone else seems to be wrong on all these issues in spite of many who have multiple years of experience running the association's business?

My point is that regardless of the issue, not all will agree. That is human nature, but at some point you have to work together and do what is best for the association as a whole.

IMO

I think it boils down to BIG LIABILITY.... A few guys getting to gether in a farmer's field is one thing. A whole major event put on with CARTE BLANCHE ticket is something else. If it was my insurance that was at risk and the risk is high (MAJOR EVENT), I would want a say to the rules of how it is to be conducted. I wouldn't allow my insurance to be used openly without setting some standards to follow. If you don't wanna follow the rules, then you can't expect to use my insurance.
The MAAC BOD has to look at it this way. The MAAC bylaws and rules are there for a reason. Follow the rules or "GET OUT".
Old 03-02-2006, 04:16 PM
RC_MAN
My Feedback: (11)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Mentor34, stop listening to your bro
Old 03-04-2006, 11:45 PM
Mentor34

Whadda mean? Can't listen to him...............He's never home... He's got himself another new SQUEEZE.
Can't get in touch with him even if he had a GPS stuck to his *****............[8D]