Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Value Hobby Oasis

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 08:35 PM
carlnoki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Value Hobby Oasis

Anyone have any knowledge of the Value Hobby 51" F3A Oasis FE plane?
http://www.valuehobby.com/airplanes/...oasis-arf.html
Thanks

Old 01-01-2013, 06:10 PM
dksnyder

Default RE: Value Hobby Oasis

I have just purchased the Oasis.
Looks like a great ARF
I wonder what servos to use
The MG90/KTX900 type servos are reputed to be kinda' unreliable.
What servos do you intend to use?

Old 01-01-2013, 08:53 PM
carlnoki

the Towerpro MG90metal gear servos seem to be holding up for me.
I use them mainly on throttle on my Nitro Hydors and they take a pounding on the water doing 60-70+mph.
I also have a bunch of the Hitec HS81MG servos I might use instead.

I plan on using a seperate battery for the radio (2S1P 1300mah) pack using a
volt. regulator for 6 volt output.

I did find that the micro servos really don't like any thing OVER 6 volts.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:58 PM
dksnyder

I'll know tomorrow.... I'm maidening my Oasis in the morning.
The build was very good.... all parts fit, good hardware, etc.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66053.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	1845237  
Old 02-11-2013, 06:29 AM
cweeks0515

yes would like to hear from other Oasis pilots. My experience has been a challenge so far -but here goes.
-This airframe I believe is a direct almost copy from the SEBART Angel 50E scaled down of course. Even some of the doc pages were copied!
-The airframe itself is good the quality is adequate (not great but for $119 a pretty good value).
-I use a 4S setup which initially with the G25 motor was grossly underpowered! And man does this baby love to stall on approach! Had a number of
mishaps from 4 feet or so above the runway where she just dropped without any warning like a brick!The G25 motor from VH is a POS and was not
the right setup at all for this aircraft.
-I put in a Torque 2812 motor that I have used in other 3.5 lb setups and that was a major improvement swinging a 12x6 prop.
-I also completely reviewed the CG and static margin and convinced myself that with the wing/tail design the 170mm number was about right. Certainly no further back
than that for the time being!
Old 02-11-2013, 08:34 AM
dksnyder

Great to hear from someone who has flown the Oasis.....
You've got me scared.... underpowered.... stalls.....
I have the GForce 25 installed, and my Oasis weighs 4 lb (a little extra beef) does your's really weigh 3 1/2 lb?
Value Hobby recommends the 25 but the manual says 15!!

My MotoCalc computer program says"
"At the best lift-to-drag ratio airspeed, the excess-thrust (32.7oz) to weight (64oz) ratio is 0.51:1, which will give steep climbs and excellent acceleration. This model should be able to do consecutive loops, and has sufficient in-flight thrust for almost any aerobatic maneuver."
But that's with the E-Flite Power 25. Maybe the E-Flite has more poop

Where did you get your Torque 25? What battery do you use?
How does it fly with the bigger motor?? (still too high wing loading?? stalls??)

I guess I was lucky.... it snowed the day I was going to maiden... then ice.... then more snow.
I think I'll change motors before I fly.

Many thanks, you have been a great help.
I'll keep you posted on my results, but it might be a while before we get plowed out of this last snowfall (3 ft of snow)

Don Snyder
Old 02-11-2013, 09:38 AM
cweeks0515

ORIGINAL: dksnyder

Great to hear from someone who has flown the Oasis.....
You've got me scared.... underpowered.... stalls.....
I have the GForce 25 installed, and my Oasis weighs 4 lb (a little extra beef) does your's really weigh 3 1/2 lb?
yeah the actual weight is 58 oz with a 4S pack weight of 300g.
Value Hobby recommends the 25 but the manual says 15!!
yes I know and I had conversations with VH regarding their lackadasical motor specs. This airframe really could use a .32 equivalent power in my view and Alex told me it
would fit under the cowling. They obviously dont do much tesing !Prop specs were a bit confused as well a 14/7 would burn up a G25 motor very quickly!

My MotoCalc computer program says"
"At the best lift-to-drag ratio airspeed, the excess-thrust (32.7oz) to weight (64oz) ratio is 0.51:1, which will give steep climbs and excellent acceleration. This model should be able to do consecutive loops, and has sufficient in-flight thrust for almost any aerobatic maneuver."
But that's with the E-Flite Power 25. Maybe the E-Flite has more poop
thrust to weight of 1.5 is at least airworthy! I just dont like flying at 3/4 throttle most of the time to get straight lines and a good climb and flight times are very short doing that!

Where did you get your Torque 25? What battery do you use?
extremeflightrc.com they are out of Atlanta and produce very good kits all geared to high performance 3D big electrics and gassers. But the 2814 is a good little motor and like I said was a
welcome improvement for this airframe.
How does it fly with the bigger motor?? (still too high wing loading?? stalls??)
-in the air this Oasis flies smoothly and looks big in the air. I havent tried a 13/6 prop - still turning a 12/6 . Landing is still a challenge and you must keep the airspeed up
or she will drop out of the sky. I almost welcome a bit of wind down the runway now so there is more air going accross the wings! I had a prop come loose on a "go around" and needless to say
dead stick this plane is a handful!

I guess I was lucky.... it snowed the day I was going to maiden... then ice.... then more snow.
I think I'll change motors before I fly.
I would try the VH .32 and see what kinda revs you get. I think the mounting might be the same (the torque 2814 uses the same mounting holes).

Many thanks, you have been a great help.
I'll keep you posted on my results, but it might be a while before we get plowed out of this last snowfall (3 ft of snow)
Good luck digging out!

Don Snyder

Name:	Om32650.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	1850823  
Old 02-11-2013, 10:49 AM
dksnyder

Seems I sent TWO E-Mails.... they said the first didn't go out.... sorry.

I have a Turnegy G32 (supposed to be a clone for the E-Flite Power 32) in a Phoenix Katana which is almost 4 3/4 lb. The performance isn't "sizzeling" but it is a smooth flyer it measures 110 Watts.lb. maybe it would be good in the Oasis. It would be about 127 W/# with a APC 11x7 maybe 148 W/# with an APC 12x6
My batteries are 3000 to 3300mAh and weigh about 355g. Thats a 1/10 lb. or so ... I didn't think I put that much beef in.... I did add a lot of ply & Epoxy to beef the LG area.... I may need it, right??

You have Torque 2812 or 2814?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:50 AM
dksnyder

Oh.... I forgot to ask....
Does the landing gear (and gear mount area) hold up well on those 4' high drops??
That always seems to be the weak point on these ARF's
Old 02-11-2013, 01:08 PM
cweeks0515

Torque 2814 is the motor I am using currently in a 4S setup/12/6 prop. They rate this at about 500W or so. It is very lightweight and efficient.

http://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/torque.html

I didnt have a major problem with the lg and you will find that the aluminum gear "springs" quite a bit which I actually found a real help the gear really
plants the plane on the runway and it does not bounce like my edge 540 does with the stiffer gear! I did end up bending it a bit but that is easy to fix just unbolt and
put in a vice to correct!

Be very fastidious about balancing. This airplane does not tolerate any degree of tail heaviness from my observations and that could have been part of my problem
starting out!

Old 02-11-2013, 02:00 PM
dksnyder

OK... good advice!!
I hope your problem was, at least partially, due to a bit tail heavy..... and that is tamed down a bit....
Maybe I can avoid the stalls......
Do you think I need the 3000 - 3300mAh batteries? or is that maybe overkill...?

Hey... nice picture!!
How do you put the pic in these E-Mails?
Old 02-11-2013, 02:32 PM
cweeks0515

adding pics is easy peasy. Just scroll down to the bottom when you are in the reply screen (edit mode) and you can upload files from your local machine.
-Ive got 4S/3300 mah in there right now but I have flown with 2650's and 3000's. Just be careful that the balance is close.
-I dont get very good flying time I set the timer at 5mins to be conservative.
-Im still sorting things out a bit and resisting for now the temptation to take all apart and put in more power. The Torque 2814 motor weighs about 200g and dont
think she can handle much more than that up front without a really bad impact on balance , and flight time.

Of course I am sure you know all about these things but I find that sometimes I get focused on one element of the design and neglect the other considerations (until I get
in the air!!).

Best regards,

Chet Weeks
Old 02-11-2013, 02:49 PM
dksnyder

Thanks for the reply.... I think I'll install the Turnegy G32 that is in another plane... and see how it works out....
Your warnings will help me "stay alive" I hope!!
by the way... neglecting important issues is my area of expertise!!

Name:	Jg14379.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	1850910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35498.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	1850911  
Old 02-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks more like the Wind 50 than the Angel to me.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:58 AM
cweeks0515

ORIGINAL: Doug Cronkhite

Looks more like the Wind 50 than the Angel to me.
DC-
You are probably right. I studied the manual when I was doing the setups way back when and I am not very familiar with the Sebart lineup.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:35 AM
DrMotor

This Oasis mini F3A plane looks lovely to me.
I would probably use a Turnigy SK3 3548-840kv, 10Tmotor in a plane like this -same motor as Hacker A30-10 XL V2, but quite a bit cheaper ...
I also think the Sebart Angel 50 and Wind 50 are really beautiful planes.
I have an Angel 50 -and in this plane, I use a PJS 3000 motor ("3000"means minimum 3kg thrust), a motorI have had for 12 years -still works fantastically ...!
-They don't build brushless motors like Mr PJS did,back in 2000 ... -the PJSwebsite is: http://www.pjs.cz/index.php

PS: Just looked up my test figures:
Plane weighs 2.8kg, and motor on 16x8 prop gives 1600W.
This is 570W / kg -awesome power ...
Old 03-21-2013, 07:25 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey DrMotor. Any clue who makes the Oasis in China? Thanks, Mike
Old 03-21-2013, 09:24 AM
DrMotor

ORIGINAL: mups53Any clue who makes the Oasis in China?
Sorry Mike, no idea at all. I am sure with your contacts, you could figure it out easily.
Cheers mate

Old 03-21-2013, 10:21 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My contacts pale in comparisonto your knowledge. I'm always listening to what you know! Thanks, Mike
Old 03-21-2013, 10:56 AM
DrMotor

ORIGINAL: mups53... knowledge. ...what you know!
Mike, you are too kind ... What you say is just not true ...
-For me, this whole thing started by wondering which chinese factory might make Hacker motors.We have known for some time, that Hacker, E-F Torque and Z-Hyperion motorswere identical, apart from cosmetics.I reasoned that this same chinese factory probably made many other motorsidenticaltoHacker, that would typically be sold by various vendors for 25% ofthe price of Hacker,Hyperion etc.
However, I was simplynot prepared for the huge scale of this. I just had NO idea that there might beso MANY brands made at the same place.
We now know that:Hacker, Torque, Z-series Hyperion; and Pelikan Foxy, LiPolice, OK Hobby Infinite, Shulman Aviation FURY, Gens Ace, Common-Sense-RC, Viper VA, Apache, Pilotage Nova-Line, MegaPower Taurus, Lipotech, Sonic Electric, BMI Models "Spitz" motors, Precision Aerobatics Thrust motors, JP E-Pro motors -
and also the excellent: Turnigy SK3 motors -and alsothe O.S. motors, Futaba motors ...
-are ALLmade in the same Sunray OEM factory....!

And in addition, we have just discoveredthat Sunray also makes the ESC's for most of these brands (-and that it is not ZTW ...) ...!

That is big ...
And Sunray makes all the Hacker car motors ... -And also makes theLosi car motors, and Xcelorin ESC's(for Horizon Hobby) ...
And it also makes many of the "Turnigy Trackstar" car motors ... and also many"Turnigy Trackstar" ESC's (HobbyKing)..
And it also makes some of the boat ESC's ...

And Sunray also make the excellent "Turnigy dlux" data logging ESC's (HobbyKing also)...
And also the Turnigy Trust ESC's ...

Where does it all stop ...?

Cheers mate