Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

TRYING TO PICK YOUR FIRST PLANE? Ask your Questions here

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

TRYING TO PICK YOUR FIRST PLANE? Ask your Questions here

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 10:48 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default TRYING TO PICK YOUR FIRST PLANE? Ask your Questions here

Let's create a resource for new pilots.

One of the first things that goes though people's minds is, "what plane should I get?"

They get lots of answers, but I am surprised at how few questions the experienced pilotsask before making a recommendation. Well I am going to list out some of the questions I would ask and why I would ask them.

If you want help selecting your first plane, jump in and comment. Ask questions! Tell us about your environment.

Ed's Questions:

1) What is your budget? Do you have a spending limit or is the sky the limit?

2) How big is your flying area? This can influence my recommendations as larger planes typically need larger areas.

3) What are your typical wind conditions? If you can fly in calm conditions, I may provide a different recommendation than if it is always windy by you. Smaller planes tend to be less wind tollerent. See this discussion:

Six Keys to Success
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2840882/tm.htm

4) Are you trying to learn on your own or do you have a friend/instructor/coach helping you?What has your coach advised?

5) How committed are you? Are you testing the water or are you sure you are going to stay in the hobby. This will influence what I suggest as things to buy. There is spending on "this plane", and there is "investing in the hobby". In some ways this ties back to question one.

6) Are you a builder or a flyer? Are you both?

That is enough for now. Hopefully you find the idea of this discussion interesting and will post your questions. I, and other members of RCU are here to help you be successful.

Here is the first tidbit of information for you.

Electric planes generally come packaged in one of 4 ways, each of which requires more and more effort on your part. RTF requires the least and kit requires the most.

RTF - Package includes everything you need to get this plane into the air.

BNF/TX-R or H2Go or similar - Like RTF, plane is ready to fly but the package does not include a radio. May include charger and battery. Assumes you have a radio already that can match up to the receiver in this plane. Maybe your friend gave it to you. Or maybe you bought a radio and are not trying to pick a plane.

PnP/receiver ready/P2Go - Similar to BNF/TX-/H2Go except now there is no receiver in the plane. You add your own. If someone gave you a radio and receiver, or if you already bought a package, this might be the way for you to go.

Kits that you build and add your own components. - You get a box of sticks and precut pieces with plans. Or you get foam parts and instructions that you assemble/glue together to form a plane. Then you add the electroncis, battery, charger, radio, receiver and all. If you are a builder at heart, this may be your preferred path. In the olden days, this was the only path.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:11 AM
aeajr

Default RE: TRYING TO PICK YOUR FIRST PLANE? Ask your Questions here

No questions or comments?  Quite surprised.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:21 PM
reelquick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TRYING TO PICK YOUR FIRST PLANE? Ask your Questions here

Thanks for this, as a glo to eleck guy I found a lot of useful tips. I love my LHS but they are useless usess you have a car.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:18 PM
aeajr

Bump
Old 01-01-2016, 10:20 AM
Harley Mike

Hello all. I just found this site and boy can I use some advice. I am 62, retired and have always been interested in flying rc. My kids bought me an Rtf Apprentice 15e for christmas. I had been looking at the Super Cub S and the Apprentice trying to decide which one to get. I understand the differences and since I will have to be self taught, was trying to figure out which was better suited for a first timer. All the forums like both. I was leaning to the Apprentice but a local hobby shop pretty much scared me away from it by talking about how fast it is, how difficult etc. All contrary to what I've read. Any thoughts are welcome.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:34 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have a look at the ULTRA cheap foam planes built from dollar store foam board. They go together with hot glue. If or should I say when they break, hot glue them back together. You can learn on one or 5 of them before you send your new plane skyward.

Now this is a very very long thread on this trainer. It has free plans you can down load. With all the motor, prop, ESC, servos that work with this. You can build several of them to learn on. They fly slow and easy. Just done get over whelmed by the size of the thread. There is so much information in there.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681556

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wkntwXsdW0

Buzz.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:59 PM
Harley Mike

Thanks Buzz...I'll start reading. I think I was just intimidated....not sure where to start?
Old 01-05-2016, 09:06 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes it can be a total over load when just starting out.

Grab a cup of coffee, nice comfy chair, peace and quiet and start reading.

I do like the cheap and easy foam planes to start with. They take a lot of abuse and are easy to replace. Once you get your thumbs up to speed you can use them to fly your better planes with less worry.

Buzz.
Old 09-19-2020, 04:29 PM
bisco

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

apprentice is a great trainer, go for it!

i'm considering the aeroscout, it is supposed to be a little better in wind.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:55 AM
bisco

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

picked up the aeroscout a few weeks ago. very nice beginner airplane, easy to fly in safe, and fairly easy in advanced as long as it's not too windy.
much easier to not lose orientation compared to the hobbyzone sport cub S2.