Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Hanno 61 fuel consumption

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 11:11 PM
lems
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanno 61 fuel consumption

I am finishing a Conquest 7 with a Hanno 61. Anybody remember what tank size they used with this engine? I am practicing the intermediate pattern and usually fly two patterns per flight. A ten minute flight would probably suit me fine.

Lem
Old 03-13-2004, 03:30 AM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Hanno 61 fuel consumption

12oz will be lots of fuel. Could possibly go to a 10oz tank. But if a 12oz fits use it.

Its been a long time since I ran my Hanno's 1994 but they were really great motors.

25% nitro 12-12APC on the hanno header and pipe(hatori 650) with the high point on the pipe at about 17-18" from the glow plug. I think this is the right number. I know it turned 10,500 on the ground.

Great power for an 7.25-7.5lb plane at 6000ft. an 8lb bird it was adequate but not a bunch extra.

Don't shy away from the nitro bottle. The Hanno will run very well on 25% The transition was good and it was a good smooth running combo. Lots of guys will tell you that you only need 15% even in the bigger 140 2 strokes....Yes they will run on 10 or 15% but the transition is not as good, the smooth power and throttle response comes with a little chilli pepper in the sauce.

We actually ran the YS 20-20 and some 30% nitro also for a while.

TN
Old 03-13-2004, 12:52 PM
lems

Thanks Troy, I appreciate the info.

Incidently, you probably know the answer to a question that I have had for a while. It is my understanding (from Dave Geirke's book) that nitro is effective because it actually burns more slowly than methanol. This property makes the power input to the piston last longer after detonation, and results in more torque. An analogy might be that methanol detonates and acts more like a hammer hitting the piston with an impulse, while nitro detonates and shoves the piston downward.

If the above is true, then it makes sense to me why high nitro works well with low rpm engines to develope greater torque. Why do racers with engines turning 20,000 rpm like high nitro? Wouldn't straight methanol actually be more powerful?

Lem
Old 03-13-2004, 01:12 PM
Troy Newman

I don't know the answer straight forward.

I can say that from my college days I seem to recall there is some sort of combustion coefficient that describes the flash of the fuel. I also seem to remember that fuels that burn quickly don't carry as much energy when they burn.

Take an example of Diesel fuel. Light a match and toss it in, likely it will not burn. But atomize it and stick it under pressure and it just makes lots of energy.

Hard to ignite the fuel but when it does it releases lots of energy, Maybe Nitro is a similar deal.

I just don't know

TN
Old 03-13-2004, 11:28 PM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

I read somewhere that the nitro acts like octane in gasoline, retarding the detonation. This effect allows you to run a higher compression engine - in fact, the higher the compression the more nitro (octane) is required.

So. . . . I'm assuming (and we all know what happens when we ASS-U-ME) that the racers run high compression engines, and therefore need the higher nitro. . .
Old 03-15-2004, 03:43 PM
Jorgele

I was flying hanno´s with 10% and run good, wit 12*12 or 12*11 APC, the tank t I used was hayes 16 onz.

Jorge Lozano
Old 03-15-2004, 04:08 PM
RACE76

I am under the impression these engine's made in japan and europe are desigened to run on 0 nitro as nitro is not availible...especially japan. I have run FAI fuel in my engines and some with nitro and the % you are discussing and only saw 500 rpm's more. Troy,I know you are on top off things but I dont believe nitro makes that much difference at lower altitudes. By the way ...do you have anything nice for sale?
Old 03-15-2004, 06:35 PM
Troy Newman

It does make a difference...

Are you looking for models as in pattern models?

I don't have anything extra

TN
Old 03-15-2004, 06:41 PM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

Semi-Related. . . .

Someone on the Pattern mailing list found 5 Brand New Hanno's in a hobby shop in the Philippines. . . .

If you're looking for a Hanno, may be worth looking into. . .
Old 03-15-2004, 09:57 PM
lems

Well, I got a couple of tanks and trial fitted them. The conquest is a mid-wing design with a narrow fuse, and there just isn't a lot of room at the cg. In fact, this is the smallest place in the fuselage. I am going with a round 10 oz tank. Thanks to all for the input, I'll report back my flight times.