Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA-50R vs BME 50

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 05:41 PM
Torqued-Up
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA-50R vs BME 50

Considering either a DA-50R or BME 50 for my next project.

Anyone have any thoughts on which is better.

They are both almost identical in specs.

The BME 50 has a little shorter stroke and larger bore. Should spin up a little faster, but have a little lesss torque...

Same weight, same horsepower, swing basically the same size prop.

The DA-50R is in vogue right now, but I've heard good things about the BME 50 also.

The DA-50R has a firewall engine mounting plate, while the BME has "ears" on the crankcase, much like a glow engine.

Is it a toss-up??? [sm=confused.gif]
Old 12-29-2004, 05:56 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

Default RE: DA-50R vs BME 50

Is it a toss-up???
Yeah, pretty much. I don't have any experience with the DA but I do have a BME 50. It is so reliable and starts up straight away everytime I try (except for the time I forgot to fuel it up [sm=bananahead.gif]). 5 flips or so with choke on, then 1, sometimes 2 flips with choke off and she going. Its a very user friendly engine and I am completely satisfied with it. Good luck!
Old 12-29-2004, 06:40 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

The BME 50 is an Echo chainsaw engine and has a bulletproof crank, you will never wear it out...Even if you're a BIG diameter prop guy and lug it down...The carb sticks out the side instead of the back, but it's a piston port engine so there's no reed valve to leak....
On the other hand, if you can't stand the thought of an INDUSTRIAL engine on the front of your airplane get the DA....
Old 12-31-2004, 12:38 AM
aegis

Torqued-Up - I have been trying to decide for a while now which 50cc motor to get. Have thought about the DA as one of the possibilities but I'm concerned given the problems some people are having. If you haven't read through the thread below, you might want to before making a decision one way or the other. (As an alternative, a couple people at the field have Brison 3.2s and really like them).

Dan

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Does...1713333/tm.htm
Old 12-31-2004, 01:33 AM
Torqued-Up
My Feedback: (16)

I was reading that thread today and it caused me some concern... That thread started quite a while ago and only bubbled up today as there was another recent reply... I always thought the DA 50s were the supposed to be the class act of 50cc engines to hear everyone rave about them, but now I'm not too sure...

I agree on the Brison engines... I have a Brison 2.4 and I am very happy with it... Not to mention that the Brison 3.2 is less expensive than both the DA and the BME... It is 4 ounces heavier than the others though, so that's a determining factor too...

Thanks for the input...
Old 12-31-2004, 03:25 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BME and Brison both use American made ignition systems. DA does not. BME is a very light engine and performs on a par with the DA. But then again, so does the Brison, it's just a tad heavier.

Since you're shopping, have you contemplated Taurus to see where they stack up? The power level has been purported to be above all three of the other engines.
Old 12-31-2004, 03:55 AM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

I had a BRAND NEW TAURUS 3.2 and a BRAND NEW BME50. Ran some tests with them same day same props same fuel...everything the same......

The Tuarus and the BME turned nearly identical rpms with the same props. The BME had the weight advantage, but the TAURUS ran a little smoother.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:06 AM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

I have both a BME and a DA 50. Both engines have about the same amount of time on them. The DA seems to be stronger, turning a larger prop at near the same rpm as the bme does with a smaller prop..

BUT

They are both strong, good running and reliable engines
Old 12-31-2004, 10:41 AM
JBrannon
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Jemo

I have both a BME and a DA 50. Both engines have about the same amount of time on them. The DA seems to be stronger, turning a larger prop at near the same rpm as the bme does with a smaller prop..

BUT

They are both strong, good running and reliable engines
The DA should turn a larger prop at lower rpm, it has a longer stroke and thus more torque. The bme should turn a slightly smaller prop at higher rpms. I have experience with both. 2 DA50s and 2 BME 50s. The DAs are much prettier, quieter, and because of the reed intake have the problem on some noted in the other thread. DA is more customer resposive but Kieth will stand behind his engines just as well. The problem is getting him to answer the phone, he would prefer you just ship him the engine with a note in it. The BME 50 is really a bullet proof and very easy to operate and reliable engine.

Joe
Old 12-31-2004, 03:03 PM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

DA is a purpose built engine not industrial, their customer service is suppose to be better, and it looks better, the prices are within 20-30 dollars of each other I believe, so,,,,,,,,,,,flip a coin
Old 12-31-2004, 05:09 PM
Antique

.An industrial engine is made to work harder and last longer than any "purpose" built model airplane engine...You think a DA50 would last very long with a chain bar on it cutting down trees...? FANTASY.....A BME is a CHAINSAW INDUSTRIAL engine, converted to fly model airplanes...Any wimpy little prop you would care to put on it can NOT even compare to what it would do in the woods cutting down trees, using whatever old oil and fuel mixture happens to be in the can....It will OUTLAST any purpose built model airplane engine, PERIOD...Same goes for ANY converted engine using the original factory crank, rod, piston cylinder, and bearings....Those who think "industrial" is a bad word are very much misinformed....
Take a look at any crank and con rod from a chainsaw and compare it to any of the purpose built components.....THERE IS NO COMPARISON....A CNC machined aluminum or steel con rod with a pressed in steel shell Torrington roller bearing is no match for a steel chainsaw rod with a case hardend bearing surface with a heavy duty steel caged roller bearing....A&M found that out, where are they ? Apparently DA is finding that out too, on a smaller scale.....They're fixing theirs...
Old 12-31-2004, 07:00 PM
Tired Old Man

Thanks Ralph,

You're experience is showing again You pretty much nailed the reason I stay with an "industrial" engine. I know it will always be there when I need it if I give it anywhere near proper care.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:05 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

I totally agree with RALPH, but I do think that the DA is a good performing engine. AND, with DAs customer service, you can't go wrong with any of their engines. I have had more BMEs than DAs, but I really think that the 50cc size is a toss up. DA will take care of ANY quality issues and you can bet you will have a good running engine if you were to go that route.
Old 01-01-2005, 01:16 AM
ParticleMan
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: RCIGN1

.An industrial engine is made to work harder and last longer than any "purpose" built model airplane engine...You think a DA50 would last very long with a chain bar on it cutting down trees...? FANTASY.....A BME is a CHAINSAW INDUSTRIAL engine, converted to fly model airplanes...Any wimpy little prop you would care to put on it can NOT even compare to what it would do in the woods cutting down trees, using whatever old oil and fuel mixture happens to be in the can....It will OUTLAST any purpose built model airplane engine, PERIOD...Same goes for ANY converted engine using the original factory crank, rod, piston cylinder, and bearings....Those who think "industrial" is a bad word are very much misinformed....
Take a look at any crank and con rod from a chainsaw and compare it to any of the purpose built components.....THERE IS NO COMPARISON....A CNC machined aluminum or steel con rod with a pressed in steel shell Torrington roller bearing is no match for a steel chainsaw rod with a case hardend bearing surface with a heavy duty steel caged roller bearing....A&M found that out, where are they ? Apparently DA is finding that out too, on a smaller scale.....They're fixing theirs...
you're my hero
Old 01-01-2005, 12:29 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To RCIGN1:

I hear you loud and clear. That's the precise reason that all the engines I fly are industrial derived - about ten in all. Right now I am in the market for a good 100 cc engine, and of course the DA100 seems to be the popular choice. However, the BME 5.8 single and the Brison 5.8 single costs a lot less. I am leaning toward the Brison 5.8 but I don't like the linkage set-up for the spark advance. Yet, I understand this engine is available with true electronic spark advance, so that solves that problem. Now - in your opinion, which of the three has the guts to last a lifetime? I hate to buy an engine that constantly needs to be returned to the factory for repairs, even though they do it quick and economically.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:26 PM
Antique

You will probably not wear out any of the three....If it's price, go for the Brison...
BME doesn't list a single on their website....
Old 01-01-2005, 04:16 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Ralph. Appreciate your sharing of your knowledge.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:05 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Bear in mind that the Brison 3.2 is only cheaper because of the mechanical timing advance. Check with Brison on their Synchrospark version and you'll find that they are comparably priced with the others. Nothing wrong with the TCSA system, mind you. Some folks actually like it better than computer advance, but that's a different story. Just make sure you compare apples to apples.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:22 AM
Tired Old Man

It's kinda funny that some would find a negative in something that most find to be a positive.

With the Brison singles, you have a choice of a mechanically advanced or computer advanced ignition. Those who use them understand that the mechanically advanced arrangement provides a smoother transition from low to high throttle and a superior mid range.

The only reason that Brison provides a Syncrospark ignition is because somewhere along the line the misinformed and easily led began believing that the computer advanced method was better. Not true. It was nothing more than good advertising hype to lead consumers into believing that a new and different engine was better than the ones everyone had, and are still, using. That's not to say that an auto advance unit doesn't work well. You can't beat them for a twin, but on singles they are prone to issues that the mechanical can never be.

There is nothing on the mechanical arrangement that needs to be adjusted by the user. It's just something that sits there and does it's job. If kept relatively clean it will last and perform as long as the engine will, which is a very, very, long time. So there is no reason to purchase cherries when lower priced apples perform just as well, if not better.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:36 AM
excaliber

silversurfer, you could have fooled me > I sure won't go back to mechanical advance. Especially with the engines I have. No levers,threaded couplings plastic ball links for me.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:03 AM
Diablo-RCU

If you slam the throttle open with throttle coupled advance using a high speed servo, it seems likely that you'd get too much ignition advance at low rpm. In this case, electronic advance coupled to the rpm of the engine should provide the optimum ignition advance.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:35 AM
BBW Walt
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: Diablo-RCU

If you slam the throttle open with throttle coupled advance using a high speed servo, it seems likely that you'd get too much ignition advance at low rpm. In this case, electronic advance coupled to the rpm of the engine should provide the optimum ignition advance.
Gee, how does this hi speed servo effect the fix advance motors, G-62's Quadra's, Lee Sachs ect. ect.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:47 AM
Diablo-RCU

The fixed advance motors with a mag run about 20 degrees total advance. If they ran 28 degrees of advance like the electronic ignitions, they'd make more top end power but would probably have some issues at low rpm (vibration and detonation). I'll let you use your hand to flip start a G62 with 28 degrees of advance......
Old 01-02-2005, 12:28 PM
Tired Old Man

I don't think I would want to hand start any engine with the throttle fully opened, or fully advanced.

BTW, I use digital and coreless servos for my throttles. They seem to pe pretty quick to me, and "slamming" full throttle just gives me full power. Must be something wrong with my engines.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:58 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

RCIGN1,

How strong are the Zenoah line of engines, and are they 'Purpose built' or are they from an 'Industrial' based design.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.