Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

History of EU1-A Pattern Plane???? SPA

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 10:04 AM
rcmaniac6
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default History of EU1-A Pattern Plane???? SPA

I am trying to document when the EU1-A pattern aircraft was first produced or available as a plan set?? I think it was close to 1975, and if it was then or before it will qualify as a Senior Pattern Aircraft. If anyone has documentation or information, like dated plans or articles, etc. please send the info to me at "[email protected]"

Thanks, LTC James E. Beasley, Gallatin, TN
Old 04-21-2006, 11:13 AM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: History of EU1-A Pattern Plane???? SPA

ORIGINAL: rcmaniac6

I am trying to document when the EU1-A pattern aircraft was first produced or available as a plan set?? I think it was close to 1975, and if it was then or before it will qualify as a Senior Pattern Aircraft. If anyone has documentation or information, like dated plans or articles, etc. please send the info to me at "[email protected]"

Thanks, LTC James E. Beasley, Gallatin, TN
Published April 1978 in Model Airplane News. I don't know any more than that, though.

http://www.rcstore.com/rs/general/li...d=41&catego=PL

Mark
Old 04-21-2006, 01:28 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

James,

I'm going to give you the prize for "MOST WISHFUL THINKING" when it comes to getting the EU1 A put into the SPA approved list. I am a HUGE fan of this plane, designed by Wayne Ulery, originally kitted by Aero Composites and presented in MAN as Mark said. I wouldn't give up hope though... somehow the Phoenix 8 is allowed... and it wasn't designed/flown till way after the 1975 cutoff date. Good luck in your quest.....

Dan
Carolina Custom Aircraft
Old 04-25-2006, 08:43 PM
spbyrum

You might try checking old Nats results. I did the work to document the Curare after I found it listed on a British site which showed top 5 equipment for every World Championship since 1960. Hanno flew it in the '75 WC.

There is a bit of a move to early 70s planes in SPA right now. As mentioned in another thread, there is also a good bit of modification done. That we allow 4 strokes has kind of changed the game. Some compromises have been required to meet sound levels necessary at many fields. Usually this means stretch the tail a little to help the balance. By rule, the builder can do the tips and some other things to suit himself and landing gear can be either trike or taildragger. The idea is to keep the plane approximately the same size as the original and to keep the looks the same, too. We've allowed some slack because we don't want to get in a situation where we are checking planes to see who's been naughty and who's been nice.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:49 PM
spbyrum

Dan

There has always been an understanding in SPA that follow-on versions would be allowed. Hence the Phoenix VIII and any one of the many Kaos versions. That also explains how some of the Daddy Rabbits appear to be on steroids. It also had many version.

We're always open to adding to the list.

We appreciate your efforts, and Jeff's, too at making some kits available. Skip Getelman's Patricia flies very well. Skip will be tough after he gets used to it a little more. It's very light and handled the choppy wind we had last weekend very well.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:57 AM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Steve,

Thanks for clearing up that point concerning the "variations allowed" for me..... Another one of those "unless you ask, you don't know" questions.

Skip's Patricia certainly is a nice looking plane....There are a couple of additional planes here in the "going to be a kit" stages and I hope to be able to add them soon.

So many planes to do... so little time....

Dan

Carolina Custom Aircraft
Old 04-26-2006, 07:41 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: spbyrum

You might try checking old Nats results. I did the work to document the Curare after I found it listed on a British site which showed top 5 equipment for every World Championship since 1960. Hanno flew it in the '75 WC.

There is a bit of a move to early 70s planes in SPA right now. As mentioned in another thread, there is also a good bit of modification done. That we allow 4 strokes has kind of changed the game. Some compromises have been required to meet sound levels necessary at many fields. Usually this means stretch the tail a little to help the balance. By rule, the builder can do the tips and some other things to suit himself and landing gear can be either trike or taildragger. The idea is to keep the plane approximately the same size as the original and to keep the looks the same, too. We've allowed some slack because we don't want to get in a situation where we are checking planes to see who's been naughty and who's been nice.

---------------

I have a Goldberg Senior Falcon ARF that I have thought about flying in Antique Class. I learned to fly multi on a kit built Senior Falcon in 1969. After the first flight, I went home and modified the plane for better handling. My first mod was to remove the stock ailerons and double their chord. I have the same intention on the new Senior Falcon ARF. The model flies like a B-36 with the stock ailerons.

I have read a few written remarks about another fellow flying a Senior Falcon and whose "flaps" are controversial. I wonder if he did the same thing that I am thinking about doing and this is what those comments are about?

I'll be lucky to fly this model in more than one SPA contest, therefore, I don't want to be stuck with a model that handles like a turkey for the rest of the year.

I also wish they would increase the displacement limit for four-strokes in antique. A Saito .82 would be more appropriate for a model such as the Senior Falcon or Astro Hog than the current limit of .70, which pretty much dictates that you use an OS engine. I like OS engines and have a bunch of them, but sometimes you just need to run a Saito for best performance.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:31 AM
spbyrum

Guys

I got the following from Wayne Ulery this morning. I guess the quickest way to document is to ask the designer.

Hello Steve:

As I remember, I took the EU-1 to the Toledo R/C show in the spring of 1976 and did not test fly it until the summer of 1976. The reason this date sticks in my mind is that I put a red, white and blue color scheme on the EU-1 and also remembering that it was the 200 year celebration of our independence. So I don't think it will be legal for the Classic Pattern. Thanks for your email....those were the "good ol' days" weren't they.

Regards, Wayne Ulery

Quique's Aircraft Company
Wayne Ulery, Secretary-Treasurer
1-937-390-0677
Old 04-26-2006, 08:37 AM
spbyrum

Artisan

There are no Antique events scheduled this year. Actually, we've not flown Antique for about five years. Those who compete seem to enjoy the regular planes more.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:40 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: spbyrum

Artisan

There are no Antique events scheduled this year. Actually, we've not flown Antique for about five years. Those who compete seem to enjoy the regular planes more.

----------------

Well, I guess that settles that. Thanks for the info. <G>
Old 04-26-2006, 02:16 PM
rcmaniac6
My Feedback: (18)

So Steve B.,

Is the 1975 date the end all answer or can the SPA committee consider adding the EU-1 to the eligible list even though it cant be documented until 6 or 7 months into 1976?

James Beasley
Old 04-28-2006, 08:19 AM
spbyrum

Stretching the dates has never been done. It's also not been asked before. More generally, we get the tuned pipe/retract questions.

What we have is an annual discussion which begins "I'd fly SPA if you'd only allow . . . . ". I have experimented last year and this Spring with Open Classes which would have allowed all these guys to come try SPA. I had two guys come last fall with a Tipo with retracts and a pipe. They had a ball flying against regular SPA equipment. Last weekend, they were back with legal A-6 Intruders to join the official fun.

We regularly entertain questions about rule changes. The only time a compelling reason to deviate significantly from the original SPA premise was several years ago when 4 strokes were allowed to cut the noise at one regular site. Since then, 2 strokes have all but been eliminated. There is no compelling reason to change the dates of the era.