Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 09:40 AM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Check this out.....
I had a nother succesfull flight

with my Giant SuperSportster!!!!

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10467327]GreatPlanes Giant SS ARF + SAITO FA-150S[/link]

Kostas1
Old 04-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Joystick TX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd like to see some smooth landings.

We have a grass field on a landfill and it is pretty rough. We fill in new areas every year, but it is hard to keep up with the settling. One good thing is that the grass and dirt are not as hard on the wingtips and props as concrete.

I think the winds have only been below 30 mph two days this month. I was doing resume reviews at a job fair so I missed one of them. That was not too bad, at least I got something useful done. The second calm day, I made a stupid accidental switch activation on my TX. Still got to fly, but it took over an hour of good flying time to get my plane up. Did manage to get a couple of hours in before the winds were up to hurricane force again. I can't wait for them to clam down this summer.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:08 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: Joystick TX

I'd like to see some smooth landings.

We have a grass field on a landfill and it is pretty rough. We fill in new areas every year, but it is hard to keep up with the settling. One good thing is that the grass and dirt are not as hard on the wingtips and props as concrete.

I think the winds have only been below 30 mph two days this month. I was doing resume reviews at a job fair so I missed one of them. That was not too bad, at least I got something useful done. The second calm day, I made a stupid accidental switch activation on my TX. Still got to fly, but it took over an hour of good flying time to get my plane up. Did manage to get a couple of hours in before the winds were up to hurricane force again. I can't wait for them to clam down this summer.
Ours is on a landfill as well. The first few years were pretty challenging. 20 years later it's proven to be worth all the earlier trouble, though I've flown off much more level fields. Still run across "stuff" that's floated to the surface (or gone unnoticed somehow) with the mowers on occasion. The areas just outside of/bordering the actual landing site is still pretty rough - brush hog only country.

I was able to get my first flight of the season over with a few days ago with my Sportster/Syssa. Forgot how much fun that plane can be. Now fully geeked about the weather, chomping at the bit ready to go again! Pretty stormy here as well....
Old 04-18-2011, 12:16 AM
Kostas1

Parts .02 & .03 are now UP !!!

Enjoy in HD1.080p...

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10469210]GreatPlanes Giant SuperSportster maiden flight![/link]
Old 04-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Joystick TX

Bummer, my GSS is grounded again. Our field will be closed for a month again due to a gas drilling rig next to our runway. Wish there was a place to fly that was close by.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:13 PM
prr6100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a field up here your welcome to use, round trip shouldn't take too long
Old 05-26-2011, 04:53 PM
JoeMamma

Wow..........this thread is now over 5 years old !

I had a chance to fly a fellahs Giant Super Sportster last week and was impressed. Handles exactly like my 80 inch SIG Four Star.

I was in the market for another larger scale sport plane and was surprised to find out the Giant S.S. is still available (by mid-June) from Tower Hobby. I just ordered it.

Like my Four Star I’ll be powering it with another trusty ol’ OS 1.60.

Ouch..........that wire landing gear has got to go ![:'(] Without me having to reinvent the wheel, any chance one of you fellahs has some pictures of how you reinforced the fuse to support your new landing gear ? Just lookin’ for some ideas.

Joe M.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:10 PM
azalner
My Feedback: (8)

See attached & don't forget the tail wires!

AZ
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Fd92581.pdf (2.00 MB, 80 views)
Old 05-26-2011, 11:52 PM
Kostas1

Joe M.,

have you seen my videos ? Even if you go with the stock configuration, you won't have any problem.

The wood arround the fastening area of the wire is strong enough

Here it is...enjoy in HD1.080p...

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10469210]GreatPlanes Giant SuperSportster maiden flight![/link]
Old 05-27-2011, 04:59 AM
Joystick TX

I would not trust the gear if you fly off a grass field. The LG wire broke, about 1" below the wing, on two of the GSSs in our club. I think the wire is brittle in the area they heated when they soldered the wires together.

I have some pictures of how mine is installed in my gallery. I just cut a 3/4" x 3-1/2" slot out of the bottom of the fuse, just in front of the wing hold down bulkhead, put in two triangle stock rails and glued in a piece of 1"x4" pine. I bolted the LG to that block and have had no problem with it for thousands of landings. I like the springy gear on mine since some of the fields I fly from are pretty rough.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:06 AM
prr6100

I agree, did the same thing to mine, got rid of the wing mounted wire gear and went with aluminum in the fuse, there are other strengthening improvements that you should consider also, flying wires and stronger hinges, good luck.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:25 AM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

Not to mention that the stock gear is just butt ugly! I don't care if they hold up or not.
Look to the bottom of the page and that is were I did the Super Stearman gear modification, 1.5 years and hasn't failed once. It is quite heavy but the plane has no bad tendencies to speak of.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_42...28/key_/tm.htm
Old 05-27-2011, 08:43 AM
JoeMamma

To A.Z., Kostas, Steve, prr6100 and redbiscuits..................thank you for the response !

I won’t have my big Sportster for about a month, so I’m having trouble relating to your stories about its problems. I’m sure that when it arrives, and I have it in my hands that I can relate much easier. After reading the thread, the general consensus seems to be: trash the wire landing gear and install flying wires on the tail surfaces !

I mentioned possibly using an OS 1.60, but now I’m thinking about a Saito 1.80 with a custom smoke muffler. I had a 1.80 Saito with a unique smoke muffler and was surprised how much smoke it produced.

I’ve got four Saito 1.8’s currently in my fleet and know they are good running engines, except for one thing thing: be sure you fly them at least once every 1.5 years. If you let them sit any longer the carb barrels will seize up. This will require pulling off the cowl, pulling off the carb and cleaning the fuel corrosion from the carb barrel. On one occasion it required replacing a throttle servo because the stuck carb barrel had forced the stripping of the gear teeth off of the servo.

On another occasion I noticed the crankshaft had seized up. This required an engine teardown, clean out and a bearing replacement.

Both the stuck barrel and bad bearing problems were all on Saito 1.8’s using enclosed cowls, so I’m guilty of never using after-run oil, but, this never seems to happen on my OS 4-strokes ?? Same fuel, didn’t use after-run oil, but some of my OS engines can sit for 4/5 years with no problems ? They just light right up ! I don’t want to start a Saito/OS debate, but this is just from my own experiences.

A short smoke system story: Over the years I’ve had a few smoke systems and have learned from my mistakes, but the worst situation I encountered was a few years ago on an 80 inch Hangar 9 Sundowner with an Evolution gas engine. It also had a 24 ounce smoke tank. On one particular flight, I kept hitting the smoke switch with zero results. After landing I discovered I had accidently left the smoke switch turned on for my entire flight, then I noticed a very strong diesel fuel smell. The high-pressure line to the muffler had blown off at the tank (no clamps used on any of my smoke lines, but NOW I’ve learned). What a freakin’ mess........24 ounces of nasty diesel flavored smoke oil soaked the inside of the fuse from one end to the other.

I disassembled everything out of the fuse. Over the past few years I have applied, sprayed on, brushed on, brushed off or vacuumed off just about every known chemical or powder on the market, but all of the wood was just too oil soaked, plus my shop has smelled like diesel oil for a few years. I’ll never trust the integrity of this oil soaked fuse and will probably wind up pitching the fuse into the trash.

Now, all of my smoke oil lines get clamped and my entire smoke system including the pump and the tank gets installed into a clear-plastic bag. Live and learn..............

Oh well, I’ve got to wait a month before my Sportster arrives from Tower, so I’m still in the planning stage. How about the new OS 1.55 4-stroke ?

Joe M.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Schummie

Hello Guys,

Having trouble to slow the bird on landings. Ripped out the landing gear, which resulted in quite some damage. Repaired now , and ready to go. I read that placing the CG more aft would do the trick. What CG do you guys use? Mine is now at the recommended 5.25 Inch.
Maybe I can mix in flaperons. You guys have any throws on that. How much down elevator you mix in?

I'm using a thirsty OS 160.

Regards,

Eric Schumacher, netherlands
Old 05-27-2011, 11:38 AM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

Schummie,
Move it back a little at a time until you get it where you like it. Once I got mine set where I like it, the plane does 3 point landings with ease.
I can't tell you exactly where the C/G is unless I put it back on the machine, but I know it's back quite a bit from the recommended.
Red.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:12 PM
Joystick TX

I have had the same experience with the Saito vs OS bearings. I don't use after run oil and I fly my planes almost every week. The Saito bearings never seem to last as long as the OS. Once I replace them with the SS Bearings and race, the problem is solved.

The tail wires are a good idea. I'm running a 30cc gas engine andI would not fly without them. Made that mistake once. A buddy of mine has run a G38 on his GSS for several years flying off the same field and he has never had a problem. He flies his plane like an airliner and I fly mine like a 3-D plane. That may account for my problem.

I use elevons, about 20 deg full down, with 2 or 3 deg elevator mix. My CG is set about 1/2" back from the recommended center point.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:01 PM
JoeMamma

ORIGINAL: Schummie

Hello Guys,

Having trouble to slow the bird on landings. Ripped out the landing gear............

What CG do you guys use? Mine is now at the recommended 5.25 Inch.

I'm using a thirsty OS 160.

Regards,

Eric Schumacher, netherlands
Hi Eric,

One of my non-scale sport planes is a big SIG Four Star powered with an OS 1.60. The first flights were great, but the first landings were horrible. I moved the battery rearward and adjusted the CG in increments until it was about 7/8" to 1" more tail-heavy than the recommended spec. This took care of part of the landing problem and greatly improved my flying maneuvers.

You mention you are having trouble slowing down for landings. Are you referring to speed ? If so, simply set your throttle trim to get the idle speed slower. If it's already as slow as you can get it, check your prop width and pitch. Pick up a prop with the same width, but cut down the pitch by one or two numbers. I did this on my Four Star and now she flies and lands like a dream ! When landing, she now comes in very slow with her nose up high. Your Sportster is really not designed to be a high-speed aircraft, so dropping the prop pitch will do no harm, plus, as a bonus you will be amazed at how your straight-up climb rate will increase. Can you say like a rocket ship !!

On your Sportster I would also add a little tail weight to get your CG more tail-heavy from the recommended 5.25" to say about 5.75" to start with. You can always add/subtract more tail weight until you start to feel uncomfortable.

I just maidened my new 78" Hangar 9 Pulse 125 a few weeks ago. On the first flights it flew OK, but it reminded me of the Four Star on its first flights. I cut down the prop pitch and set the idle speed as low as I could get it. On each trip to the field I've been adjusting and setting the CG more tail-heavy. Just like the Four Star, when landing she now comes in very slow with her nose up high. All of my flying maneuvers are now much easier on both planes.

Next time you fly, check out everybody else's landings. If you see their fuselage pointed slightly nose down and the wheels seem to slam into the ground, almost always it's either too nose heavy or it's simply coming in too fast due to a high idle speed, or a combination of both. Almost all airplanes, whether they are real or RC will land with the nose pointed up.

Joe M.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:58 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I think moving the CG back (3/4"-1") was the single biggest improvement I made to the plane. Do that and landing gear issues will be history. Using the largest diameter prop that's practical will slow you down some on final (as well as your down lines), is an exelent plan, but nowhere near as effective as the CG move. If you haven't done it yet, a healthy dose of exponential on your elevator will really help ease any ballooning problems in the flair. Do that and the CG thing above and 3 point landings at a walking speed are easy....

Oh, and don't worry about any handling problems due to the CG move. They're non existent - until you get really stupid with the amount of control surface throws - but you're asking for it at that point.

Metal gear servos, tail brace wires, and high quality hinges are all very good ideas. Replacing the stock push rods using the solder on clevises are likely a good plan as well. Decide you don't want to go to the time/trouble/expense of these mods, and this is the airplane that will teach you maybe you should have... It's all right here if you want to take the time to read it. MANY planes destroyed learning these lessons - and many/most claim they have happened under 1/2 throttle.

Joe - Sheesh! All that trouble with the Saitos and you aren't considering gas for power? This is the PERFECT airframe for an introduction to gas. DLE 30, Syssa 30, G38, and Q42 are all good plans. All but the DLE are rear exhaust making for really simple installs.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:35 PM
JoeMamma

ORIGINAL: ahicks

Joe - Sheesh! All that trouble with the Saitos and you aren't considering gas for power? This is the PERFECT airframe for an introduction to gas. DLE 30, Syssa 30, G38, and Q42 are all good plans. All but the DLE are rear exhaust making for really simple installs.

I do have gas engines. I also fly with a bunch of electron movin', magnet equipped, lipo eatin' motors,[sm=spinnyeyes.gif] but personally, I prefer the smell of nitro methonal in the morning.

Joe M.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:47 PM
Schummie

Thank you all for this great input. These are really workable tips for me.
I'll let you know what the results are. I'll try a larger prop, with less pitch and set the CG at 6 inch from the front with the Greate Planes CG machine.

Regards,

Eric Schumacher, Netherlands
Old 05-28-2011, 11:06 AM
SkyPilot101

AZ.....Thank's for the pdf documenting the mod's of the landing gear & tail wires, very helpfull! I have had a GSS on backorder with Tower since Nov. 2010, hope it finally comes through mid June, I have a DLE 30 NIB waiting for it. I see your from Washington Pa, that's just south of me up in Beaver, Do you fly at a club field, would like to come down & visit, maybe get a chance to see yours do it's thing! PM me if interested. I fly out of BCMAC
Old 05-28-2011, 01:25 PM
JoeMamma

ORIGINAL: SkyPilot101

I have had a GSS on backorder with Tower since Nov. 2010, hope it finally comes through mid June..............
Wow.............Nov. of last year ? That "slow boat from China" must be a REAL slow boat !

I just ordered mine last week.

Joe M.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:37 AM
SkyPilot101

Joe, Tell me about it, Tower kept backing it off, we'll see if mid June comes through
Old 06-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Joystick TX

Joe, I justaddedsome more pictures on my GSS Landing Gear installation to my gallery.

Hope your plane gets here soon.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:37 PM
JoeMamma

ORIGINAL: Joystick TX

Joe, I just added some more pictures on my GSS Landing Gear installation to my gallery.

Hope your plane gets here soon.
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the landing gear pics !

If mine comes from Tower Hobby a little late, that's OK.

It's summertime here now so it's also summertime chores..........really no time for building. As a matter of fact I spent all day today doing research on a new lawn tractor to replace one of my aging 25 horse Craftsmans'. So many choices and so many different tractors..........makes the brain hurt ! [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Just ordered a John Deere Z465 Zero Turn. She's got a monster 62" cutting deck. To me, a big tractor deck = less time cutting the lawn and more time flying !

I'm one of the guys that flies as much as possible during the nice weather (2 to 5 days a week). When I do go to our club field it's usually for 3 to 5 hours so I'm pretty tired when I get home......I really don't want to get "burnt out" on the hobby.

Joe M.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.