Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

GYRO and the AXE CP

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

GYRO and the AXE CP

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 10:18 AM
sammy64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GYRO and the AXE CP

Ok i have the gyro and ESC installed and tested. Everything works like it says( surprise ) http://manuals.hobbico.com/hmx/hmxe04-gyro-manual.pdf
I did mine a little differnt then how they say to do it. I put everything in the back, Tested CG and seems to be ok with the stock battery.The Pics show the tie wraps still with tails but i will get them cleaned up this morning. I will test fly in about 1 HR and will post how it went ....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18701.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	622746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27489.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	622747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47704.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	622748  
Old 02-16-2007, 11:39 AM
outtamyway

Default RE: GYRO and the AXE

You just have to love all that room to mount goodies in the Axe. I've been working over a Blade recently and have stuff stacked on top of other stuff. Since my Axe flybar control frame just arrived after many weeks of waiting, maybe I should switch the new Gyro over to the Axe. I'm anxious to hear your impressions.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:55 AM
sammy64

WOW what a difference a Gyro makes to these machines. I have flown only 1 LiPo and what a freakin difference. No tail motor trim No Nothing. set the Throttle and forget, Hold very well. Look out when the battery runs low thought the Heli will start to spin.
There is plenty of room for everything in the AXE.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:34 PM
quickster47

That is great news to hear Sammy. Glad everything worked out and hopefully this mod will start getting some more confidence in the Axe CP.

Carl
Old 02-18-2007, 07:46 PM
sammy64

Default RE: GYRO and the AXE CP

Just an Update.. After about 25 battery's i got to say i love it .. the gyro holds very well .. i was flying in 5-10Mph side winds and the heading never change.. The con of this so far is at the end of the battery life, The Heli starts to spin Nose left..
Old 02-18-2007, 11:47 PM
VBDave

I still have a hard time justifying the $$ to upgrade a $200 heli with a HH Gyro.. lol
Old 02-19-2007, 12:05 AM
Heliko

ORIGINAL: VBDave

I still have a hard time justifying the $$ to upgrade a $200 heli with a HH Gyro.. lol
...me too
Old 02-19-2007, 05:19 AM
ElectricHead

Yes, price is high. Some folks will use the Axe as a trainer and move on to a better machine and they can take the gyro and move it to the new heli. I know a lot of people like the 401 gyro but a T-Rex with 240 would work for me. I plan on looking into getting a T-Rex 600 or waiting for Align to come out with a T-Rex 500. Those machines would have a 401 or better gyro if they were mine. 240 gyro to play around at home in little heli and better gyro to fly at local park in larger heli. My two cents worth.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:36 AM
quickster47

You can also use a cheaper gyro if you want. And I am pretty sure they will work as well. I am using a 240 in my FrankenAxe but will be able to try the TeleBee and several others I have spinning around my work area.

But like ElectricHead said, what you buy now can always move up to your next larger heli.

Carl
Old 02-19-2007, 06:04 AM
sammy64

I agree that the cost is high, but like ElectricHead said .. move it to another heli when the time comes.. iam looking at the MX450XS as my next heli before i try nitro/gas.. if i could find a way to keep that thing from spinning (i cant believe that other Machines do the same thing at the end of there battery life )
Old 02-19-2007, 12:32 PM
Prontow

Spinning might be inherent to a motor driven tail rotor, on a shaft or belt driven tail rotor I am guessing main and tail rotors will slow equally as battery runs down. I am a newbe but this makes sense to me. Did that make sense?
Old 02-19-2007, 12:40 PM
sammy64

Makes sense but i believe that it comes from the gyro is not getting Enough power once the battery runs low ..
Old 02-19-2007, 03:45 PM
sammy64

i tested the thought that if the gyro loses power or runs low that it would spin the heli... well its true it will.. i put an OE battery on the bottom of the Heli and plugged in a LIPO and then another LIPO and then the other OE battery and never lost the tail.. 3 battery's and about 25 minutes of flight.. the heli is heavy and really dont want to lift off ( kind of like the BCP paddles ) so thinkin a little LIPO in the back to run the tail/ESC and the gyro
Old 02-19-2007, 09:52 PM
eeeeky

I hope you know that you do not need seperate electronics to use a gy-401, you can use all the stock stuff..... just plug the single signal wire into the signal wire of the 401, and plug the 401 into channels 4 and 5, if using a better radio, its very handy.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:00 AM
quickster47

Sammy,

Just wondering if you might be running out of BEC voltage when the battery voltage begins decreasing. I tested mine last night, at least indoors, and when the battery ran down my tail was still stable.

Don't suppose you are letting the LiPo get too low in voltage are you? I think that then goes back to the BEC question of is the BEC in the 3-in-1 working correctly.

Carl

ORIGINAL: sammy64

I agree that the cost is high, but like ElectricHead said .. move it to another heli when the time comes.. iam looking at the MX450XS as my next heli before i try nitro/gas.. if i could find a way to keep that thing from spinning (i cant believe that other Machines do the same thing at the end of there battery life )
Old 02-20-2007, 09:01 AM
MsDarla

Was is the flight time with the gyro set-up?

Any videos of one flying yet?
Old 02-20-2007, 09:08 AM
quickster47

Using my Mega Power 1350mah batteries I can fly about 12 to 15 minutes. Of course, that fully depends on how adventureous I am feeling about increasing my flying abilities.

I don't have any video equipment, like my camera and director/producer (wife) up here in Virginia.

Carl
Old 02-20-2007, 12:37 PM
sammy64

after talking to a few different people at the LHS .. i found out the ESC is set up to kill all motor when the battery runs at 2.75V or lower using an LIPO.. there is a jumper on the ESC that i can jumper to set it up as a NICAD and lets the battery run down to .080V.. the Heli will never fly at that low of Volts.. but should not lose the tail like i have been..
Carl (quickster47) are you using a gyro also?? i will fly mine this afternoon and test
ESC : http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpmm2005-2015-manual.pdf
in this manual it shows you how to adjust the jumper to switch between the NiCd/LIPO

RTFM [X(]
Old 02-20-2007, 12:58 PM
quickster47

Sammy64,

I started out with a Telebee gyro and it did okay. I then installed one of my GY240s and basically got the same performance, maybe a little bit better but it is hard to judge percents of improvement like this one.

Carl

ORIGINAL: sammy64

after talking to a few different people at the LHS .. i found out the ESC is set up to kill all motor when the battery runs at 2.75V or lower using an LIPO.. there is a jumper on the ESC that i can jumper to set it up as a NICAD and lets the battery run down to .080V.. the Heli will never fly at that low of Volts.. but should not lose the tail like i have been..
Carl (quickster47) are you using a gyro also?? i will fly mine this afternoon and test
ESC : http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpmm2005-2015-manual.pdf
in this manual it shows you how to adjust the jumper to switch between the NiCd/LIPO

RTFM [X(]
Old 02-20-2007, 01:19 PM
sammy64

What type of ESC are you using ???
Old 02-20-2007, 01:54 PM
quickster47

For the tail I am using the TREC from some compnay that I cannot remember the name of right now cause I am at work.

Carl
Old 02-20-2007, 02:25 PM
sammy64

If i change the jumper on the ESC to NiCd the battery's will not work, the ESC makes a tone at me.. If i switch it back to LiPo the battery's work but i go right back to where i started.. the Heli spins at 2.78V left in the battery
Wonder if i need a different ESC for this project
On a side note: do you feel its like cheating with a gyro ?? flying became very easy when i installed it
Old 02-20-2007, 06:24 PM
quickster47

Naw, I don't think it is cheating. It is just getting some much needed assistance which, most of us heli pilots can really use. If you really want to know what's it like flying without any gyro, take it out completely and see how you do.

The big nitro boys use the absolute best one they can get.

I have actually been thinking about get a FMA Co-Pilot for my Falcon 3D. Every little bit helps.

Carl

Take a look here for a little gyro history. http://www.heliproz.com/jwgyros.html
And the thing is, I was there in those early days.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:34 PM
sammy64

i have flown the AXE CP for 6 weeks before i started the gyro so i know how much you have to fly the tail on it .. just the gyro makes it so much nicer to fly
Old 02-20-2007, 06:46 PM
sammy64

If you use the directions that helimax has .. you have to disable the BEC from the plug before it plugs into the RX .. something about the Mixer is getting power still from the battery using the orange wire on the RX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.