Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

NO SELLING - JUST COMPARE FUTABA 8FG TO A9 HITEC

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 02:35 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO SELLING - JUST COMPARE FUTABA 8FG TO A9 HITEC

Salespeople have an agenda, they want to promote their product. That doesn't really give us an area to objectively compare the real features that a wise shopper would perform, just like buying any other product in this world. So salespeople need not promote here, this is for the buyer. The forum is flooded with sales-people showing off the gimmick radios that cost over $400 like we couldn't fly yesterday not having them.

I want to have a user / buyer thread that doesn't hype up a feature with 100 wing options like that's why I buy a new radio in the first place. Truly it could be said of the weekend RC pilot, his typical sport plane just needs expo or dual rates (preference), end point is nice but one could get into the horns and pushrod area like the old days faster than reading up on a new manual. This is just examples of what is being thrown upon us. Some still drive their high school car, others buy the next model year every year. Some use old radios like the 7U, 6X, Prism 7, JR6102, etc. Some need to get today's new radio and pre-order tomorrows. What I'd like to know is without the hype on the touch screen (JR had one first) Aurora 9, and really get into the useful features one would want. The 8FG has just been released and is in the ballpark with pricing. The market guide gives a side by side radio comparison section to do this, unfortunately it's hasn't been updated in quite awhile.

This may facilitate an opportunity to accomplish that. I haven't made up my mind yet what radio to get. The last thing I want to hear is an online salesman telling me what I'll need in the radio when he hasn't asked what, when, and how much flying I do first.
The 2.4Ghz transition hasn't taken over my hangar yet, many planes are still on 72Mhz. So timing is good, lots of choices. I'd like to discuss what RCU members have actually put in their hands and used, and that would carry a lot of weight for me in making a decision for my next radio. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:50 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: NO SELLING - JUST COMPARE FUTABA 8FG TO A9 HITEC

Based upon reading the specs on the Futaba 8fg and Hitec A9, and personally handling the A9 at Trade Shows, I would say that the Hitec A9 is a better choice.

I fly JR/Spektrum, but for many years, I flew Futaba/Hitec. I had Futaba PCM Tx's, Futaba PCM Rx's, and quite a few Hitec PPM Rx's. The PPM Rx's would work fine with the A9.

I am just another flier and not affiliated with any RC Mfg.

I don't recall if the 8FG was 2.4 only. I am sure it is a good radio, but I think the Hitec A9 has more higher end features and compatibility.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:55 PM
rambler53

I've got to get my hands on one, it's too soon to tell, the local hobby shops don't have it, and it's out of stock online. We're in a remote area, chances to touch one seem off in the distance for now. It is cool it can fill in with older receivers, but what does it take to get the radio to do that?
Old 11-06-2009, 02:57 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: nitro-pilot Salespeople have an agenda, they want to promote their product. That doesn't really give us an area to objectively compare the real features that a wise shopper would perform, just like buying any other product in this world. So salespeople need not promote here, this is for the buyer. The forum is flooded with sales-people showing off the gimmick radios that cost over $400 like we couldn't fly yesterday not having them. I want to have a user / buyer thread that doesn't hype up a feature with 100 wing options like that's why I buy a new radio in the first place. Truly it could be said of the weekend RC pilot, his typical sport plane just needs expo or dual rates (preference), end point is nice but one could get into the horns and pushrod area like the old days faster than reading up on a new manual. This is just examples of what is being thrown upon us. Some still drive their high school car, others buy the next model year every year. Some use old radios like the 7U, 6X, Prism 7, JR6102, etc. Some need to get today's new radio and pre-order tomorrows. What I'd like to know is without the hype on the touch screen (JR had one first) Aurora 9, and really get into the useful features one would want. The 8FG has just been released and is in the ballpark with pricing. The market guide gives a side by side radio comparison section to do this, unfortunately it's hasn't been updated in quite awhile. This may facilitate an opportunity to accomplish that. I haven't made up my mind yet what radio to get. The last thing I want to hear is an online salesman telling me what I'll need in the radio when he hasn't asked what, when, and how much flying I do first. The 2.4Ghz transition hasn't taken over my hangar yet, many planes are still on 72Mhz. So timing is good, lots of choices. I'd like to discuss what RCU members have actually put in their hands and used, and that would carry a lot of weight for me in making a decision for my next radio. Thanks for your help.
Simply take relative Futaba TX information from their chart and compare:
Futaba TXComparaison Chart
Hitec Aurora Comparison with JR&FutabaChart
http://www.hitecrcd.com/product/comparison_chart/26/Optic_Radio_Chart.pdf]Hitec Optic 6 Comparison] Optic 6 can be bought with a 2.4GHz module with telemetry. 2. Optic Sport cannnot be purchased nor fitted with2.4GHz.
Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Old 11-06-2009, 03:00 PM
rambler53

No, that's not how I buy. Do you buy a car with reading the brochure of available colors and fabrics for the interior, if it has power this, and capacity that? You also take it for a test drive and decide if you "like" it. I like an easy to program radio. Charts aren't going to give you a hands on feel. Thanks. Your chart is a Hitec piece of online literature designed by salesmen like you with bias. Aren't you on the wrong thread too?
ORIGINAL: A.T.

Simply take relative Futaba TX information from their chart and compare:
Futaba TX Comparaison Chart
Hitec Aurora Comparison with JR & Futaba Chart
http://www.hitecrcd.com/product/comparison_chart/26/Optic_Radio_Chart.pdf]Hitec Optic 6 Comparison] Optic 6 can be bought with a 2.4GHz module with telemetry. 2. Optic Sport cannnot be purchased nor fitted with 2.4GHz.
Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Old 11-06-2009, 03:06 PM
BuschBarber

Generally, the Tx needs to have the ability to interchange RF Modules. The Futaba 7AUPS, 8AUPS, and 9CAP all had RF Modules. I bought a 72Mhz Synthesizer Module and was able to dial in whatever 72Mhz channel I wanted. I did the same thing with my JR XP8103 and XP9303. When the Spektrum 2.4 RF Module came out for my 9303, I could not resist. I can fly 2.4Ghz or 72Mhz by switching the RF Modules. I might have stayed with Futaba, but my 9CAP would only support 8ch in 2.4Ghz so I sold my Futaba stuff. They were still good radios, but I liked the programming in the 9303.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:14 PM
BuschBarber

I think the toughest thing about making a decision on which RC Radio system to buy is that you don't really get enough Hands On before you make the decision to buy. Even at a Trade Show or in the LHS, you only get a brief chance to play with the programming. It is not usually until weeks after I buy a computer radio that I realize it's limitations.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:15 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One neg for Futaba is having only 8 portional channels for the 8FG and
also the 10C otherwise I think we have wait and see how the reliabilty
turns out because having the most features is not everything.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:19 PM
rambler53

I've got a flying buddy with the 9303 radio, I've seen it and flew his plane with it. It's great for maiden flights, the trim is really fast to correct the planes course for straight level flight. It's a bit heavy, and steps are involved to get into the menus. I'm not used to JR, I have a new 7202 that sits in the box. Generally I've always found similarities between hitec and futaba.
I presently have a 9C I've used a lot, then bought the 10C to replace it. It's ok, the two button thing takes getting used to as the 9C was just a dial/button in one. The 10C screen is very bright and easy to see. I generally set dual rates with -50% expo, throttle cut, flaperons or V tail depending on the plane, and finally end point. I don't mix much or couple this and that. I do that with the sticks.
There are more switches than I need.

I'm considering the Aurora 9, just don't want to blow another $430 or so, to find myself in a corner again as I felt with the 10C due to receiver costs alone, and mine is the earlier model with the module for 72Mhz modules.

The switches seem tall like on the Eclipse 7 with the A9. I didn't like the feel of that radio at all. The only thing I think I've really read that is a cool feature is the telemetry to the receiver battery strength, the touch screen with only some drill down menus. RCG has a lot of video links showing it from mikemayberry support threads there. It's not all one level programming as advertised here. I'm curious with the 8FG. The memory card, and yes, it's reliability. The FASST system has been around now for a couple of years, it's Hitec that has to prove itself being new to 2.4.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:03 PM
rambler53

You guys got to see how a tricky chart from Hitec that AT is promoting doesn't really tell the actual specifications from it's competition.
Hitec is late in the game. No one was buying much from Hitec when JR and Futaba released their products years ago. This is their last saving grace to keep the company in the radio business? Desperate selling on a forum? This cheats you out of the real specifications. So lets analyze the charts shortcomings.
First it gives you detailed specifications about the Aurora, except that it's out of stock, short on supply.
Next, it gives you only a partial feature of the 10C, leading you to believe the radio doesn't have any more features in that category.

Here are the real specifications you can see are hidden on the Hitec site but are easily found on Futaba's and Tower distributions sites.

FEATURES: Futaba's FASST (Futaba Advanced Spread Spectrum Technology) shifts very quickly virtually eliminating signal conficts and interruptions unlike other 2.4GHz systems that only stay on one or two frequencies Dual antenna diversity enables FASST system to automatically and seamlessly select the best reception between the two antennas built into the receiver ensuring that the aircraft stays under constant control of transmitter regardless of altitude 7 point throttle and pitch curves 12 factory defined glider mixes Logic switches allows timer activation or other function just by changing positions of specific sticks or switches 15-model memory, expandable to 48 models with optional 128K CAMPac module (FUTM9408) 10-character model and user naming Assignable switches and dials/functions 2 proportional slider switches (Campac memory modules help you add unlimited numbers of models to your radio, but 15 is standard, meeting most users needs. This radio comes with a 14 channel receiver.

Model select, copy, reset Fail-safe, sub trims, servo reversing and EPA 160 x 72 (easiest screen to read of them all) backlit LCD with adjustable contrast (they liked leaving that out, and it's very nice to have. The screen is brighter than the JR green looking screen of the Aurora) Servo monitor display Auxilliary channel screen for 1-step function/switch assignment One year limited warranty

FASST is used by our military for years, not AFHSS and not JR's.
The Hitec charts tells you what is (easy) on their radio and (hard) on Futaba, and this is changing stick assignments from mode 1 and 2, and tension. I've done this once, it wasn't hard on the 10C. Anyone who is a modeler is familiar with a screwdriver.
10C has better programmable mixes, but the Hitec chart tries to make that an even playing field instead of saying 10C (better).
Hitec has no user name on the screen. Aw.
Hitec has 8 flight conditions available. Do you need all 8? Futaba 5. Could you even remember 8?
Hitec states their receivers (out of stock) are only $69. And Futaba is $199, but Tower always runs a $25-30 coupon at that level, and it is 14 channels. You could get a 5, 6, 7 channel receiver though, . The 7 is $99.98, the 6 comes in small and medium plane size ranges, $59 and $69, so it really depends on your needs and you have more choices with Futaba, better supply.
Hitec has 9 wing types in it. Go ahead users, name them from YOUR hangar over your lifetime. Don't we really just count the channels we have instead? HYPE.
Hitec lies and says dual engine programming, fuel mixture, or rudder to aileron mix (people don't use sticks for that?) isn't available on the Futaba. All you're doing is mixing 2 channels. They separate needle control and fuel mixture into two categories, but I can't tell the two apart and never needed either. Isn't that an old and race limited carb feature from the 80s anyway?

Gimmicks, not features. Hype, not applicable to user features you would EVER need or use. The bottom line is find one to put in your hands if you can, and see if it feels good to you. The switches look cluttered in the pictures. I haven't decided yet, not until I put my hands on it. But the 10C is not the new release, the 8FG is, and it's in the $400 price range.
The 8FG isn't in their chart. It has $20 in rebate coupons, and more available receiver choices that carry over to the 10C and all 2.4 Futaba radios.
Futaba's FASST (Futaba Advanced Spread Spectrum Technology) shifts
very quickly virtually eliminating signal conficts and
interruptions unlike other 2.4GHz systems that only stay on one
or two frequencies
SensorTouch pad enables quick and easy menu navigation with only a
light touch (Ipod type dial)
Pre-defined mixes for easy programming
Accepts a 32MB - 2GB SD memory card for software
updates and almost unlimited aircraft memories
Eight proportional channels and two switched channels
128x64 backlit LCD screen offers adjustable contrast for easy viewing
in any light condition
2048 resolution enables servos to pick up even the slightest stick
movements with extremely low latency
New slim shape that is more comfortable to hold
High speed receiver operation allows digital servos to update more
rapidly than analog servos (both are compatible with this
receiver)
HS (High Speed) mode improves frame rate on receiver channels 1-6 to
only 7 milliseconds-compared to 14 milliseconds at normal mode
One year limited warranty beginning at date of purchase

So with castor mist on your hands, I guess you decide if you want a touch screen or a pad/button arrangement.

The new Hitec does have features I do like. The ball bearing sticks, only Futaba I know of under $1000 that had it was the 9Z.
It's a touch screen, JR had one too years ago as well. Wasn't that successful. Aurora 9 is advertised to have 1 step programming,
but review the RCGroup videos and I see more steps and menus going on to get it done, again, and again.

You have to put it in your hands people. Don't let the salesmen push you into it like a desperate Dodge salesman about to get laid off.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:07 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

deleted

Old 11-07-2009, 11:13 AM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Make a pro's and con's list and see which one comes out on top.

The Aurora has a wire coming out of the module to the antenna, there's your first con for it.... The 8FG has zero flight conditions in ACRO mode... there's your first con for it.

Aurora is 1024/ 8FG is 2048

8FG has a high speed mode down to 7ms/ Aurora is 14ms only

The 8FG balances perfectly with a neck strap, the Aurora needs an adapter to balance properly if using 2.4.

The $50 Hitec Optima 6 RX's can fly any airplane from indoor flat foamies to giant scale. $50 Futaba RX's are 4 channels and for use wth indoor/ park flyers only.

There you go, the 8FG is in the lead, now continue...

Both are fine radios but if you want you to figure out which is best for you on your own, make the list!

Good luck with which ever you choose!

Mike.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:30 AM
rambler53

ORIGINAL: MikeMayberry

The 8FG has zero flight conditions in ACRO mode

The 8FG balances perfectly with a neck strap, the Aurora needs an adapter to balance properly if using 2.4.

The $50 Hitec Optima 6 RX's can fly any airplane from indoor flat foamies to giant scale. $50 Futaba RX's are 4 channels and for use wth indoor/ park flyers only.

There you go, the 8FG is in the lead, now continue...

Both are fine radios but if you want you to figure out which is best for you on your own, make the list!

Good luck with which ever you choose!

Mike.
Excellent. I left the statements that I want to discuss further. I never used flight conditions, what are they useful for that I can't just use my experience on the sticks to over come? Seriously?

I can care less about balance, I hold my radios and never touched a neck strap once I had an incident with a prop while setting my plane down on the runway. Do either have throttle lock?

The receivers are more costly, no doubt, including the $50 premium for a 8FG from the beginning. But in this hobby if I counted
$10s and $20s on this and that, I'd have quit a long long time ago.
I have a 9C and a 10C, a new in box 7202 that was a pain to program coming out of Futaba, I had no idea how to get into a menu without picking up the manual each time. I thought the synthesized transmitter was as good as going 2.4 back when it was in it's infancy.
Ball bearing gimble sticks, I like that.
You PM'd many good points about the direct displayed menu and touch screen.

Please elaborate on how flight conditions work. I've seen older radios with 2 or 3 and never knew what they were for.
Coupling in a knife edge? Landing? I have dual rates for that. What is faster than just knowing your plane and shifting your
sticks to compensate instead? Like a snap roll switch. I've gotten by flying a long time without a computerized radio to begin with,
I don't need a switch to roll. How can any roll be done on some planes that require you to pulse the down channel for a moment when it's upside down?

This is a great response Mike, thanks. This is the direction I wanted the thread to go in. You obviously know this radio and touched it.
I'm at a loss not having it in hand or at my LHS. I'm undecided between the 8FG and A9.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:43 AM
pilotpete2

Hi Mike,
The three radios mentioned here all represent very high value and little or no limitations for even advanced pilots. Each has a hit or a miss somewhere on the features list.
Now I thought there where 4 major radio manufactures, Funny that one of them seems to be MIA in this popular four to five hundred buck radio category[:-]
A final word of wisdom regarding pi$$ing contests, I've found that while paybacks can be a bummer, but blowback really stinks
Cheers,
Pete
Old 11-07-2009, 11:49 AM
BuschBarber

With Flight Conditions or Flight Modes, you can configure each Model Memory with up to 3 sets of parameters. This means that after you choose the Model Memory you want to use, you can flip a 3 position switch and change back and forth, during flight, between up to 3 sets of parameters.

You can have a Takeoff Mode, 3D Mode, Landing Mode, etc., all controlled by one switch. It is like having 3 Model Memories in one.

Dual Rates are useful, but you have to switch between the Rates. Exponential can be set up to give you a Soft Neutral, so you can stay in control, and yet be able to Bang the Sticks and get all the throw you need for High Performance maneuvers. Of course, you don't want to panic, but you do not have to find and pull a switch to change your rates. Expo is usually tied to your Rate Switches, so you set the High and Low Rates at the same time as you set your Expo percentage.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:11 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Flight conditions are useful to associate different rates and mixing with one flip of a switch. You could set one each for takeoff/landing/normal/3D/IMAC flight for example. It's just another tool to make your plane fly better with less thought.

Have you ever tried adjusting your mixing in flight? It's almost impossible unless you have a buddy do it for you. The Aurora has a feature in many of the mixes called "adjust to function." This allows you to change the rate of the mix with either the sliders or the LT,CT,RT tact switches at the top center of the radio while in flight. I think this may be unique to the Aurora... maybe the $1200+ JR's and Futaba offer this too? Anyone know?

Throttle lock? Yes, push and hold the aircraft icon for 2 seconds to lock the throttle.

$10's and $20's are no big deal... it's the Ben Franklin's that get hard to take!

I hope this helps.

Mike.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:40 PM
rambler53

All of this information from a Hitec rep on a Saturday? No Futaba reps chiming in? OK, I'm sold, Hitec it is.

Jeez, what pissing contest?
I may live in the south, but I come from the Boston area where we communicate nose to nose to make a point. Get over it! LOL
Old 11-07-2009, 04:26 PM
pilotpete2

Hey nitro-pilot,
Just joshing about the pi$$ing contest, so many discussions about radios wind up that way
Now about the World Series
Pete
Old 11-07-2009, 08:04 PM
rambler53

Man I got to lighten up. Thanks, for the obvious.

Like Mike says, let's draw up pros and cons....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14458.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	1309625  
Old 12-17-2009, 01:48 PM
rambler53

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXGG1&P=ML
8FG in stock.

Aurora 9, not in stock.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: nitro-pilot

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXGG1&P=ML
8FG in stock.

Aurora 9, not in stock.
And reading around the forums there are a lot of us waiting on the aurora 9. I still think it looks like the better value. I like the 8FG and think it is a nicer looking radio but due to price I went Hitec.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:37 AM
Eplane65
My Feedback: (16)

Good points on the module interchangeability, but programming a JR 9309 sucks. I don't think Einstein could do it.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:43 AM
BuschBarber

Compared to the Futaba 9CAP, the programs available in the JR XP9303 were much better. When I first bought the 9303 I had trouble finding answers to programming questions, in the manual, but after I became familiar with the Tx, it became easier.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:02 PM
jcg1112
My Feedback: (3)

Very interesting thread. Fortunately it hasn't degenerated into one of those threads where somebody asks which lipo is the best. [>:] I just got my 8FG a week ago. This was the first time I bought a Tx without putting my hands on it. I've always had Futaba Tx's since I started flying 20 yrs ago. Before the 8 my main radio was a 9CAPS. I've never had any issues with any Futaba gear. I looked at the F8, A9 and Airtronics all really hard before making my decision. I went with Futaba again because of my past experience with them. I like the clean look and feel of the 8FG and it is noticeably lighter than my 9CAPS. It has all the features that I will need and/or use. Once again, it all comes down to what you like and feel comfortable with. I also have no plans to sell my 9CAPS since it is worth more to me than what I could get for it. I'll probably buy a Spektrum module for it to be able to get in on the Bind n fly bandwagon. Honestly, I don' think you can go wrong with any of the 3 newest 2.4 systems, short of some major bug surfacing.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:24 PM
inverted flyer

i agree - i think all 3 are different but more or less even steven ... i went with the A9 primarily for the lower Rx prices - i don't believe i've taken a gamble here - although it's well known that the Futaba gear is 100% field proven ans so represents no risk whatsoever

i also think the T8FG radio looks and prolly feels better - but i think i will also really like the A9... since i'm on a budget my wallet will certainly look and feel better

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.