Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Losi XXL or Revo 3.3????

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 11:28 AM
SiicKLy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losi XXL or Revo 3.3????

Hey guys im thinking about getting back into nitro rc. I've switched to brushless and for quite a while now and im alittle nervious about nitro because of all the tuning etc. I want to get a truck that comes with everything i would need (electronic wise) and a decent rtr motor. The revo of course hasthe famous 3.3 but i've never had luck with them. The big block on the xxl seems tempting but i like the revo's set-up could anyone help me out here.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:15 PM
full maxx

Default RE: Losi XXL or Revo 3.3????

not to knock the revos but everybody (never had one myself) says they are toyish...the xxl is a complete package without question
Old 12-25-2009, 04:54 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Revos handle great, but the 2.5 or 3.3 I have never had good luck with tuning wise. The motors are screamers, but I have had bad luck with them. Probabally just me and my tuning skills. The XXL is the total package, radio wise, truck wise etc. If traxxas offered a better radio and more tunable engine i would go with it. If your tuning skills are down a little go with the losi. Again this is not a knock to the trx 3.3 or 2.5, I know many guys who will run nothing else.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:13 PM
full maxx

yeah I have also heard that the traxxas stuff handles and flies as well but have also heard about tuning issues and parts being of lesser quality
Old 12-25-2009, 10:54 PM
bigblock454XXL
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with the XXL. And that's not because I own one. I agree that the TRX 3.3 can be very finicky to tune. I had a Tmaxx with the 3.3, one with a O.S. .21, My Friend had a Revo 2.5., and I now own the XXL. I've always prefered the Big Block Engines over the Small Block, Hence my UserName. The 454 Engine is easy to tune and when they added the DX3s, it made it an awesome package. Especially with the telemetry. Of course this is just my opinion. Hope you go with the Losi. Let us know what you decide.
And don't forget your comparing 1/8TH scale Monster Truck to 1/10TH scale Monster Truck. Bigger is Better!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm6QA7yVB_8[/youtube]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74206.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	1341848  
Old 12-26-2009, 09:43 AM
MaddMatt

I had an early Revo with a 2.5, never was happy with the engine, upgraded to an .18 OS engine and it ran 1000x's better. But You shouldn't have to buy a new truck and throw away the engine first thing, The Revo truck it's self is an engineering marvel, But... is somewhat difficult to wrench on because so much is built into such a tight space.. it's like everything has to come apart to get anything done, and if you really want to mod the truck, you have to get into expensive engine kits to add big block engines and such. Unless you can find one of the OS .21 small block revo engines.. That would be the way to go in a Revo. I sold the Revo in short order and bought a Losi Aftershock, which is really an excellent truck for the money! comes RTR with decent gear. But the new XXL comes with top notch gear and an super engine, it is the crown Jewel of RTR monster trucks, and are wicked fast not to mention the sheersize of the truck. They are alot simpler to wrench on, and bigblock engines seem to tune better to me. And most of the big block engines your going to find on the market today will drop right into the truck for insane power upgrades.

My aftershock truck is almost totally transformed into an XXL truck now and it all can be easily done with parts readily available from ebay! I would say go for the XXL if you have the coin, if not try an aftershock and work your way up from there as your budget allows.

Check out my post "Aftershock rocks the richter scale" to see most of my step by step build up. (except the stuff that Bigblock454XXL isn't allowed to see!)
Old 12-26-2009, 01:53 PM
SiicKLy

Thanks alot guys this going to be a hard decision because i could buy the revo and a os .21 or go with the stock xxl
Old 12-26-2009, 03:17 PM
Nytro97
My Feedback: (2)

I have the LST2 which is almost the same as the XXL.................. Very hard truck to beat.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:28 PM
MaddMatt

I can tell you one other thing though, Back in the days when bigblock454XXL was Bigblock21 and was running T-maxx trucks (I call it the Dark Days) I hit his T-maxx head on with my Losi Aftershock, and the T-maxx broke in half, I have never broken anything on the losi yet, except the engine brace which is common, and body posts... Never an A arm or any major plastic parts, they have a good plastic formula. I have landed it flat on it's back from way over my head with no body on it. They are super tuff trucks. You won't regret it... And Bigblock454XXL doesn't run T-maxx's anymore either!!
Old 12-27-2009, 03:38 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I'm a big Losi fan, so of course I will say XXL. It's huge, stupid fast, will handle great, is tough, parts are cheap and plentiful on e-bay, etc..

But you mention being worried about tuning. The XXL engine is an SH 28. SH engines are about as easy to tune as they come. Plus you have a bit of help with the telemetry on the radio - at least you can see the temps and know if you're in the right zone.

And people here will of course help get it all sorted out if you run into issues.

Here's my procedure for break-in(not saying it's perfect, but it should be easy to understand.. ):

It's basically the standard "heat cycling" method, and has treated me and all my engines really well so far..:

This is what I do:

1.) Take the glow plug out. Look down in hole, rotate flywheel to point where piston is at bottom-most position. Then, mark a notch or spot at say 12:00 on the flywheel. Then later you can just rotate it to that position and know where the piston is. During cooling the piston should be at BDC - bottom dead center. Put the plug back in.

2.) Wrap head in alu foil, or sock. Or both. Might as well do both for starters. SH engines can be reluctant to get up to temp during break-in...

3.) Slightly loosen glow-plug(do this for the first 20 starts or so.. - ONLY when engine is cold.. DO NOT loosen or mess with plug when engine is hot...), and then start engine. See how it idles. You want temps to get up to 200-225, then shut it down, let it cool completely, then repeat. You can cruise around really slowly in figure-eights.. Max 1/4 throttle.. Break-in is boring.. Bring a magazine or book or yo-yo or something.. I do this cylcing of running, getting temps to 200-225, shut off and let cool completely with piston at BDC like 10-20 times with an SH engine.. Getting it up to 200 though might not be easy.. So I usually end up having to blip the throttle a tiny bit.. Maybe even lean the HSN a tad.. Remember, it's all about the temps, and complete cool down at BDC.. (You should really do this beyond break in.. I do if for the first gallon or so, then don't bother.. Just me though..) This is "heat cycling".. So yeah, I do that, than go easyish for the first liter or two - i.e. no extended WOT bursts.. After a couple liters are through, then I just floor it like I want to, making sure temps stay around 200-240... After break-in you'll only need an occasional adjustment here and there depending on outside temp, etc.. If I can do it, anybody can..

In theory and principle I don't believe in babying engines.. Just a cautious first half gallon with temps in the right zone, then let'er rip...
Old 12-28-2009, 12:04 PM
liquidspeed22
My Feedback: (1)

Just some advice from a person thats been there done that, I can tell you from the cuff, that the lst2/or xxl is going to be the better to tune and maybe less touchy, i have had a 2.5 t-max and still own a 4-tec 2.5 the smaller the block the more time involved in tunning, the larger the block the more room to move, so this in mind the revo is sweet but all truggy, and very able but not as much a basher, and very compact the losi trucks are very user friendly and opened up for maint. just like the diffs and only needing to remove 6 screws to get a diff out.... so likewise you will not need to update the engine if its the 454 like you are looking to change on the revo, run the stock one and get the kick but radio while your at it, only upgrades you may want to do later will be to a 32 and steel spur gears thats about it unless you modify it to 5th scale, have fun finding a revo you can make larger to run with the big boys, its not even realy 8th scale...

Old 12-31-2009, 08:18 PM
mxdubbs

I would go with the REVO IMO It handles better,the engine holds a good tune if you know what your doing,It is the most advanced design and is proven on the race track where others try to compare but fail,My friend had an xxl after driving my revo he was at the LHS the next day picking one up!
The revos not s piece of crap and wont break by having another car run in to it.I'v jumped mine way more than 33 feet and landed on the roof,I fliped her back over and jumped it again with no problems what so ever.

The LST does have great engine and radio, but you can alway get a better engine and radio for the revo.what you cant to is give the xxl the revos superior suspention witch is proven to be the best.

The revo 2.5r backfliping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbMOeVgOC5M

Cool skate-park run,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d17UhpMOEOs

Both cars have there better sides and are very good cars,ask this in the traxxas forms,I bet everybody there will say revo just like every body here will say lst xxl no matter what your going to get a biased answer.

Both cars are grate but it comes down to the suspention for me,thats why I picked the revo is because I was told you can change the engine,radio,battery,but you cant change the suspention.In the end both cars have there strong points and are designed very well.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:46 PM
MuggyDude

Honestly, Revos are just a load of problems. With a better engine, every RPM part available for the truck, and better tires it can kind of compete with Losi MTs, Now if you get an XXL with 17mm hexes and some smaller tires, then change the shocks and shock Towers to Muggy ones you will be able to hands down beat the Revo. check out lstforums.com for some great info.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:51 PM
MaddMatt

Had a revo once, sold it within a few months, Bought an Aftershock, modded the crap outta it, Basically a XXL now. I run with Bigblock454xxl. After seeing both trucks I prefer the XXL.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:20 PM
bigblock454XXL
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Losi XXL will back flip too!!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP7bgfq8pJ0[/youtube]
Old 01-01-2010, 09:26 PM
mxdubbs

Ya I know,I just thrue that in there so you could see the suspention... both are fun cars.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:28 AM
liquidspeed22

here it is, if you like the more plastic feel of a toy, i have had a T-MAXX,  if you like  the feel of a functioning model, or something that does not feel like a powered tonka, toy, you will like the feel of 8th scale, and by the way you can update the 8th scale model to 5th scale, i have found the link and you can then go as big as you want, and run realistic.  The LST series by losi feels like a truck and runs like it too, if you look into a revo yes they are special but they are tweeky and feel more like a truggy, so ask yourself do you want to play and bash, or are you going to want to try and race and be competative in 10th scale, a lot of people say go big or bust, its no lie, the bigger the rig the easier to tune and more durable with space to pull maint.   the smaller the package the more solid sometimes but they are hard to tweek on and they have smaller engines. the smaller the block the smaller the adjustments and bigger the impact of the adjustments are made, for ex. if you move the needle for  the carb a little on a larger block the less the change but on a small block a small shift on the needle the larger the shift in carb. attitude.  Dont get me wrong I like the revo but it is still a traxxas 10th scale modified to a larger looking set up because of the wheels, and the way the frame lays down, but like i stated earlier, if you want diversity and the ability to set up for 5th look into the lst losi trucks, you could even go to the aftershock used buy the 5th scale conversion and a 2.5 ghz radio then set it up for big bashing, and you dont gain the weight you do when you buy a true 5th scale, but you can still bash it or be ready for the lhs's first 5th scale races.   Look into it if you want, and get back to me for a link for the 5th, but you could be into a 5th scal lst for less than 600.00 
Old 01-04-2010, 09:29 AM
liquidspeed22

By the way any body doubt my exp. please feel free to check my models owned and if you would be int. in picking anything up but the LST's feel free to ask i am liquidating everything...
Old 01-11-2010, 05:16 PM
mycarisaser

I have jumped my house with my lst2 and have jumped over 75 foot long 18ft high with no issues(off a 3ft ramp). I had an e-revo and got ride of it b/c it wouldnt hold up(no where near as strong as a lst) The e-revo handled better(more like a truggy) around the track but one off road in the bumps the revo would bounce and lose its track. (I could set it up to take the bumps like the lst but then the handling was horriable) where the lst would eat any bump up like it wasnt there and still handled very well.

If I had to do it over again I would not have gotten the either one of my traxxas trucks
Old 01-11-2010, 05:31 PM
dudecat

Yep my aftershock has taken a wicked beating today in the snow and still runs like a champ. Only thing i had gone wrong is i broke the antenna tube. I did get the clutches wet which caused them to slip a few times but all in all had a blast with it today. Just need to get a good charger for the batter pack for the receiver and another battery as backup.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:42 PM
mycarisaser

The one way and spur gears in the lst are much better and dont slip like the aftershock ones do.

I am looking at getting the losi Ten T but waiting to hear how it holds up
Old 01-11-2010, 05:48 PM
dudecat

Yeah and they are interchangeable to right?
Old 01-11-2010, 05:52 PM
mycarisaser

ORIGINAL: dudecat

Yeah and they are interchangeable to right?

Yes. The lst gear are 100% drop in replacement. Much better design. It has a more consistant shifting into 2nd gear also. I made th emistake of getting a aftershock gear set off ebay to replace my worn out lst set. No where near as nice. I bought the lst stuff that day to get it working as amoothly as it was before