Notices

USAF Thunderbirds F-105 Thunderchief, 1/6th Scale

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2023, 06:22 AM
ljsoarinson
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default USAF Thunderbirds F-105 Thunderchief, 1/6th Scale

Here's an opportunity to own one of the rarely modeled Century Series jet fighters in a size that does justice to the original. This jet has a real presence and looks like nothing else in the air.

The USAF Thunderbirds scheme is a high-quality paint. This is an accurate scale scheme from the sole year, 1964, when the Thunderbirds trained in and performed with the F-105.

Sale includes:
  • Full composite airframe
  • Custom retracts, electrically operated
  • Wheels, brakes
  • Fuel tanks and UAT
  • Dual-walled pipe
  • MKS 777A+ servos on wing surfaces and rudder. JR 8711HV stabilator servos
  • Detailed cockpit, pilot included
  • Landing lights, tail marker light
  • Scale wing tanks with pylons
  • Scale drag chute (38" diameter) with deploy mechanism, valves, servos and sequencer
  • Complete intake ducting
  • Air tanks
  • Custom wing bags

Span: 70.5"
Length: 129"
Height: 41"

This F-105 would fly well on 200 to 250 N power.

This 1/6 F-105 was a limited run, made by Bob Moore (aka B-1 Bob, Hornitpilot). Built and painted by Bob Moore. All control surfaces are hinged and well-fitted. Retracts and all gear doors are installed. The previous owner started with an application of Flite Metal on the underside and leading edge of the right wing. The buyer could continue with Flite Metal for a super scale look, or repaint the area to match the rest of the model.

What's left to finish? Adding your servos for the nose gear doors and nose steering. Adding your air valves for the brakes and main inner gear doors. Adding your batteries, receiver and power distribution system. Installing your turbine.

The original retracts for the F-105 kit were pneumatic and were a challenge to set up. Retracts on this particular kit have been converted to electric for much-improved performance in the air.

Note that the gear in the following videos are the first generation, not the electric retracts included in this sale. Flight videos of the prototype:

Reluctantly selling this highly detailed, rare jet to finance another project.
Shipping is available at buyer's expense. Buyer to cover PayPal fees.
Seller can crate, or drive up to 300 miles to deliver. Feel free to PM with any questions or a quote for delivery to your location.
Old 03-14-2023, 01:36 PM
kevinthoele
My Feedback: (1)

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Does it have the gear Joe Grice had made? I have yet to see one fly where gear works
Old 03-14-2023, 06:33 PM
ljsoarinson
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, Kevin for your interest. This does not have the gear Joe Grice made. It has the original gear that B-1 Bob sold with the kit. This too had issues, until it was converted from pneumatic to electric. The mains have a robust jackscrew setup, geared low enough to take 8-10 seconds to lift it into the wing. The nose gear uses a rack-and-pinion mechanism with a high torque sail winch servo. I personally have not tested it in the air but have been told it is effective.