Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > MarketPlace questions or problem?
Reload this Page >

Asking prices outragous in classified forums

Community
Search
Notices
MarketPlace questions or problem? Post questions or problems related to the RC Universe Marketplace in this forum.

Asking prices outragous in classified forums

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 08:36 AM
speedster 1919
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Asking prices outragous in classified forums

I have a gripe with some of the used prices on most of classified forums. Why does so many people have NIB engines or just ran one tank of fuel thur them. In the real world good used brings 50% of new price , but alot of RC's use this equipment hard for several years and then pedal it for the almost new price. Most buyers are newbies that haven't done their homework yet , so I feel they are cheated. For instance one guy advertized 4 standard servos used for 4 years and asked for $100.00 You can get those servos at any LHS for 12-15 apeice which is near $60 plus tax. See what I mean ,What a cheat, Just my .02 Sell used treat someone fair.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:47 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Asking prices outragous in classified forums

Free markets work this way. Something is only worth what another person is willing to pay for that item. If I had a bottle of pepsi and found one guy to give me a million bucks for it then it would be worth it (at least to him). To illustrate even better. How many times have you seen a painting go for auction at sotheby's for millions of dollars. Now IMHO no painting is worth millions but it only takes on person to perceive that it is.

Members here have many tools at their disposal to research pricing and decide for themselves if a deal is fair, underpriced or overpriced. You can search our blue book of new and used rc pricing even:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_gu...ubook-home.cfm

you can also search stores and vendors online for price comparison. in the end the prospective buyer will make a decision and offer what they feel is fair. about half our listings sell inside of 5 days so that shows that alot of pricing is spot on or too low?
Old 02-08-2005, 08:53 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

It's the way of the world. As long as they are honest, there's nothing wrong with trying to get the most they can for the item they are selling. The rule to go by is "buyer beware". Anyone who does not know the market prices for something should stick to well known retailers for their purchases.

One thing that bothers me is people who misrepresent the condition of engines. It appears to have become common for some people to put an old, nearly worn out, engine in a crock pot so it's nice and clean and then sell it as almost new. I've seen auction feedback from buyers who said the "almost new" engine had rusty bearings and no compression. I've reached the point where I've decided buying used engines is just not worth the hassle.

I also don't understand why people buy an engine and then just bench run the thing. I'm always skeptical about the person's skills at breaking in an engine, or that they felt something was wrong with the engine so they want to unload it. If you're not ready to put it in a plane and fly it, why not just leave it in the box?
Old 02-08-2005, 08:56 AM
DERF-54
My Feedback: (48)

I agree that some may be asking a bit much for their stuff, and I agree that it can be tuff as a new guy to understand what you are buying, but, I have also gotten some really good deals through the RCU Market. I have also found that most of the guys ask more than what they want so when they get the lower offers they can accept them.
The price thing happens on every online market.
Just my opinion
Derf
Old 02-08-2005, 08:58 AM
flashingred
My Feedback: (2)

speedster1919,

almost every person who posts a classified add feels his/her item is slightly used, almost like new and in mint condition. we are all entitled to our opinion, and , each seller likes to recoupe as much of his/her original purchase price. a buyer has the option to try to bargin with the seller, agree to his selling price or simply not buy at all.
i have been fortunate and purchased many worthwhile items from sellers on rcuniverse. i found these sellers to be honest and reliable. of course, i have seen a few qoutes about some less than honest sellers also.
just my $.02 cents worth.

fly safe
flashingred
Old 02-08-2005, 09:21 AM
CranstonSnord

Not everything devalues as quickly as you may believe. Big gas motors, YS pattern motors, high quality servos (gears can be cheaply replaced and pots cleaned), good giant scale models, F3A models, retain value fairly well. Well kept, high-end radios too. Lots of models, especially big ones, actually go up in price from a total of their components because people are selling their work too (great if the work is professional in quality). I think in hobby terms that useful life remaining has more to do with cost than simply being used. Heck, a good gas motor might just be considered broken in after a couple of season's use, or a well treated Moki 1.8. 5 gallons through that motor is the break-in. No, hobby items are not like used cars. Perhaps like a used top of the line Mercedes. You can buy a used one for a like new price!!! Yep, meant that backwards.

However, I have not seen any outrageous deals like you are describing. Stay away if they sound bad. Don't pay more for used unless you are paying for quality labor. I would not expect to find too many $300.00 63" Split-Window Corvettes sold as a "used chevrolet" by the nice little old lady who's son was killed in the war shortly after he bought it (famous urban legend that a few thousand old farts are going to swear on their mother's graves that it happened to "their buddy"...I heard it everyday for the ten years that I drove an old Vette...that and the old story of "...so I taped a hundred dollars to the dash board and told him that if he could grab it before I hit 80 it was his"...LOL...gotta love these guys, like they were driving a Saturn 5 Stage 1 booster rocket). Please, tell me another!!!
Old 02-08-2005, 10:38 AM
P-40LUVR

Remember what PT Barnum said..."There is a fool born every minute!"
Thats how a lot of money is made..off the SUCKERS![sm=lol.gif]
For example...I seen a commercial where for a new computer you pay 35.00 a week for 12 months and this beutiful confuser is you'res!
My calculations came up with 1680.00 plus 25.00 shipping,I can buy a better,faster and more memory computer with a free printer and DVD upgrade and a flat panelscreenfor less than 750.00 at the local electronics store.
I bet they sell thousands of these on TV to the suckers.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:41 AM
Dewey2
My Feedback: (24)

yep if i can get a new price dang sure bet i will i can use more money anytime you can't cheat someone with a price you post the price they either take it or not sellers don't go around twisting peoples wrists till they buy it if you really want to make a difference to people setup a pay it forward program funded by you
Old 02-08-2005, 11:33 AM
smokingcrater

I've got a couple of items on ebay right now (non-rc stuff ;-) that i have a fairly high reserve price... reason being is I'm not really to concerned if they sell or not, but there might be the one bidder who comes along who is willing to pay what I want. if it doesn't sell, no big deal, I keep it or maybe sell later.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:28 PM
drumbum
My Feedback: (1)

well as motors go i have sold a few that were put on planes and flown once only to realize a bigger or different motor would do better and sold on E-bay. was supprised when i got almost retail for them. i sarted the bids at just what i would take for them and let them duke it out for the rest.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:54 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do a lot of buying and selling here on RCU. I have sold some great stuff at reasonable prices and I have bought some at cheap prices. But I do agree that a lot of folks here are asking a lot for what they are selling--but hey--it is their business. I just chuckle to myself and move along. Then I will see it sold and then feel sorry for the poor sucker that bought it, but again "I don't have a dog in that fight".

It reminds me of a few people I know. A certain item is worth XXXX amount of dollars if they are buying, but if they are selling the same thing it suddenly takes on a more elevated status-as though the fact that they owned it makes it more valuable. I avoid these people.[:'(]
Old 02-08-2005, 03:51 PM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

The thing that aggarvates me the most is when an engine is advertised as "New in Box" and then the ad goes on to say that it has six tanks through it on the bench. That is NOT "New in Box" that is USED!
Old 02-09-2005, 06:27 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Meesh
The thing that aggarvates me the most is when an engine is advertised as "New in Box" and then the ad goes on to say that it has six tanks through it on the bench. That is NOT "New in Box" that is USED!
If you see an ad such as this, please click the Report this Ad link in the ad itself. Our moderators will send a note to the seller explaining the need for them to modify their ad.

John
Marketplace Moderator
Old 02-09-2005, 10:47 PM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

I will. Thanks
Old 03-03-2005, 08:20 PM
speedster 1919
My Feedback: (3)

Now some of you guys are shady. I bet if I lost my wallet on the street and I held my breath waiting for your call you found it!!! I,d pass out and die .....................