Community
Search
Notices
MarketPlace questions or problem? Post questions or problems related to the RC Universe Marketplace in this forum.

Posting photos?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 02:33 AM
4 stroken ron
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Posting photos?????

Is there something wrong? I can't seem to post photos tonight. I am getting message that my attachment is not a JPG. GIF..........or whatever. As far as can tell the photos I am attaching are JPGs
Got any ideas?
Ron
Old 01-21-2002, 02:43 AM
viper16

I'm having the same problem and the pics I am trying to post I know that they are jpg
Old 01-21-2002, 02:51 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can email me one of the exact pictures you are trying to upload I can look at it and see what the problem might be.

email it to [email protected]
Old 01-21-2002, 04:37 PM
4 stroken ron
My Feedback: (29)

I just tried again. (Monday morning now) and I am still getting the same message. Can't upload because my photo is not a "JPG or GIF". I don't get it, I think all my photos are JPG. How do I tell anyway?
4 4 4 4 stroken ron
Old 01-21-2002, 04:51 PM
mvigod
Banned

they might actually be jpg and there are some other reasons why an error could occur...could be file dimensions or size or a non-standard header so the system can't determine if it is a jpg or not....when I get the picture (checking email now) I'll see what it might be...
Old 01-27-2002, 07:23 PM
JET FX

Default Photo post hassles

same for me, my pics are deffinetly jpeg images as i have saved them as just this... also had no problems posting earlier last week, maybe Ive missed something...
Marc, I have been trying to post pics with similar response as above comments...

Marc how do I contact you to send image as your email is directed through RCU hence cant sent image as RCU will not recocognize file type???
cheers - Marty
Old 01-27-2002, 09:55 PM
mvigod
Banned

you can email it to me or to "wgeffon" (search member list) and the file can be resaved as jpg and usually will upload...I'm working on why certain files are not uploading ok even though they are jpg's in fact.

The problem has something to do with the image size checker which tries to make sure the file is within pixel limits but on certain files it can't figure it out and error message occurs...I had checking off earlier so most files made it through but the downside would be that somebody could upload an 800x800 avitar!!!
Old 01-30-2002, 01:23 AM
Wings-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

I have never been able to upload a picture, and I'm not sure why. I have tried JPEG, JPG, BMP of all different sizes down to 100 pixels. I have tried different compressions (standard & progressive from 1 to 50%) About the only picture I have been able to upload is my avitar.
If you have any ideas, please let me know.
Old 01-30-2002, 01:58 AM
mvigod
Banned

Have you tried uploading a jpg in the last day or two? Just fixed a bug that was causing an error of "not a valid jpg or gif" for some files....what is the error you have been getting?
Old 01-30-2002, 02:14 AM
Wings-RCU

Wow, RCadmin, that was a speedy reply.
No question about it, this is THE RC site.

Yes tried twice tonight,
When I send an attachment the text is sent first within a second or two but then just sits there doing nothing trying to send the image. No error message it just eventually times out.

Here is another try....
Old 01-30-2002, 03:05 AM
mvigod
Banned

How large is the picture you are sending and what connection speed are you on? After you hit submit it could take a minute or several to upload the file depending on your connection.

Try a small file (20k) and see if it will upload. If the large ones do not post the timeout/error message here and we can troubleshoot further.

marc
Old 01-30-2002, 03:39 AM
Wings-RCU

OK Here goes 19K, ~120x100 suhkoi
Old 01-30-2002, 03:43 AM
mvigod
Banned

Originally posted by Wings
OK Here goes 19K, ~120x100 suhkoi
did you get any type of error message?
Old 01-30-2002, 03:50 AM
Wings-RCU

Still didn't work, same thing; sat doing nothing. I'm using IE 6.0 connected at 43000 bps (56k dial-up). Could it be a setting in IE, Do I need to have my drive shared to send images? It's starting to sound like it's from my end.

one more try:

ok, even smaller:
Old 01-30-2002, 04:02 AM
mvigod
Banned

question...you said it just hangs...if you type a message in the reply and then post does it hang and then post eventually with the text you wrote but no image? Does it hang indefinitely and if so how long are you waiting? Can take a minute or two with a 20k file...

What OS and version are you running?
Old 01-30-2002, 04:15 AM
Wings-RCU

If I only post text, It works great. It sends the message and returns me to the thread. If I attach an image, and watch the modem "sent & received bytes", I can see that it sends data for just two or three seconds and stops sending data. The "globe" is still spinning, and the status bar says it's still trying to send data, but nothing is actually being sent. After a few minutes I press "stop". when I return to the thread I find that the text portion of my message has been posted.

Win 98

Hope that helps. Thanks again for all your help.

OK I'll try one more tonight, a 7k. file.

WoooHoo, found the problem.
I was using NetSonic Pro web accelerator. (Mandatory for those other sites) Apparently the accelerator scheme conflicted with uploading of picture files.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1898_1548.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	1605  
Old 01-30-2002, 04:57 AM
mvigod
Banned

Cool...would have never guessed that one.

We don't need no stinkin' accelerators

Plane looks great!

Enjoy!