Community
Search
Notices
MarketPlace questions or problem? Post questions or problems related to the RC Universe Marketplace in this forum.

Charging for Using Paypal

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 12:34 AM
RCFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging for Using Paypal

Hi John,

I see some sellers on RCU trying to charge a percentage to
use Paypal to whomever buys from them.[]

On Paypal's site it states that it's against their policy.

Does RCU moderate this, or should the buyer let
the seller know that it is against Paypal's policy?

Tonight I e-mailed a seller about the policy. He is charging
3% to use Paypal.

Thanks,

Clarence
Old 05-18-2007, 03:31 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Charging for Using Paypal

That is a paypal policy. Not an rcu policy. that would be between the buyer, seller and paypal to work that violation out
Old 05-18-2007, 06:16 PM
RCFlyer

Thanks John for the reply and info.

Clarence
Old 05-24-2007, 08:36 PM
-Inverted-

RCflyer,

The reason he is doing this is so he can get his asking price. This is nothing new, Paypal deducts a percentage of your money so adding a few percent will mean he gets his asking price.

For example, if he earns $100, after paypal fees it would be around $95-$96.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:49 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

I don't see anything on paypal that states sellers can't charge for their fees. That actually is just a Ebay policy, so I thought. I sell on Ebay too, and just add the 3% into my shipping, so what's the difference? I prefer as a seller to get money orders or even checks since Paypal also holds the money a few days while transfers to checking take place. Then of course you're stuck with postage and certified mail fees. If you want to save fees from RCU classfied items where sellers like myself ask for buyers to pay the Paypal fee, checks and money orders solve the whole problem as to who loses 3%. Personally think it's a good deterrent to steer buyers away from using the rip off service. Paypal users usually are using credit cards instead of having the money on hand and don't seem to worry about the 21% APR credit card fees after the sale until the item is paid for at that later time. Something to think about.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:17 AM
RCFlyer

Hi krosypal,

Here is what in PayPal's Web Site.

User Agreement for PayPal™ Service
4.6 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

PayPal still sets its own policy even if owned by Ebay.

Check out the Ebay fourms about PayPal-- (Seller Wants Me To Pay A $50.00 Paypal Fee. May-16-07) This is for a $1000 item.

Clarence
Old 06-13-2007, 12:59 PM
hillhits

if an invoice is sent. seller only wants pay pal payment. is payment made through pay pal or through link in invoice from seller through rcu
Old 07-25-2007, 03:01 PM
linkadrip

I have been using ebay and paypal for some time now. I recently made an offer on a O.S. .40L engine for 65.00 bucks asking price i payed the 65.00 asking price. And then the seller emailed me complaining about the 3% fee paypal charges that he wanted added to the price. First of all this is going to just casue another uneccessary transaction with paypal and more paypal fees.

So if your going to sell in the market place in rcuniverse and use paypal. Just put your full asking price including the 3% fee and shipping charges if you offering free shipping as this seller did. Simple procedure, i do it all the time. for instance my asking price on an extra330L was 1000 bucks this included shipping and any fees for using services.

I dont understand why its so hard for people to figure this out its not rocket science or brain surgery.

Take a little time and figure it out what the shipping is going to be to anywere in the USA for your item flat fee. then what the extra 3% is going to be on your item and add them into to asking price and there you go. the buyer gives you your asking price and you ship the item and everyone is happy.[8D]
Old 09-16-2007, 08:46 PM
fscott729
My Feedback: (1)

I know for large items those pay pal fees are very high. I sold a painting a while back and the fee was very steep. I feel if the seller does not want to hassel with paying a fee out of the sale do not offer pay pal services. If the buyer can not trust the seller enough by sending a money order do not buy the item from the seller. That way no one has to worry about a pay pal fee. It is easy for pay pal to say the the seller will not add this to the sale price but that is only to make themselves look innocent. Believe me, they are trying to recoup some of the funds they have to pay the banks by allowing the buyer and or seller to use a credit card. At least that is what they try to portray. But when a buyer uses his bank account to transfer the money to the seller pay pal still charges the seller to do this. One way or another they are out to make more money. All I can say is for both the buyer and seller to stop using paypal. I also feel there should be the freedom when it come down to the wire that which party wants to use pay pal should be responsible for paying the fee. If the seller wants to use pay pal let him pay the fee. If the buyer wants to pay only by pay pal and no other way let him pay the fee. Money Orders still work just fine for both parties and a lot cheaper.

Franko
Old 12-02-2012, 09:35 AM
miguelv177

hey, i need help, i dont speak english very well... im new , i create my RCU account the last week, and i buyed a engine in 200$, but i dont live in USA, i am from south america... i contact the seller because he only was accepting cash, for obvious reasons, i cant pay whit that, and he added to the "PAYMENTS ACCEPTED" PayPal, but now, i dont know how make the paypal payment, i dont see any button inside "my market home" to do that.. PLEASE i need HELP