RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   MarketPlace questions or problem? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/marketplace-questions-problem-63/)
-   -   Possible Scammer (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/marketplace-questions-problem-63/11643358-possible-scammer.html)

dsrepairs 12-04-2017 06:54 AM

Possible Scammer

Got a response to one of my ads from [email protected]. A quick google search of this email address shows cause for concern

BarracudaHockey 12-04-2017 08:06 AM

Please use the report function in the marketplace so JWN knows.

JWN 12-04-2017 05:13 PM

Which ad and how did they contact you? Through the site or directly through email?

I notice you have your email address posted in your ad. Doing so opens you up to direct emails from both valid members and scammers alike,

dsrepairs 12-04-2017 05:57 PM

It was through direct email. He didn't mention if the ad was in RCU or Flying Giants. Posted ad in both.

JWN 12-04-2017 05:59 PM

We do have an account with that email address, but it was banned 3 months ago.

You may want to consider not posting your email address in your ad to prevent these types of people from emailing you directly.

dsrepairs 12-04-2017 06:07 PM

Will do. Thanks for your help

A-17 12-10-2017 07:21 AM

Seems the same guy was trying to scam me through emails a few days ago.He never mentions the items name.
His first email:" Still up for sale? "
His second email:" Thanks for your quick reply.I'm going on a business trip but I will instruct my assistant to prepare and mail your payment so i need your full name,mailing address and cell phone number.Am paying by Certified Cashier Check .I'll add Extra $50 for keeping it in my favor.I will also make arrangement for pick-up which will be after you must have received and cashed the check.Awaiting your info.
Thanks"
I did a Google search and came up with multiple hits as did the original poster. This guys been busy!

Me

flyboy2610 12-10-2017 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by A-17 (Post 12389568)
Seems the same guy was trying to scam me through emails a few days ago.He never mentions the items name.
His first email:" Still up for sale? "
His second email:" Thanks for your quick reply.I'm going on a business trip but I will instruct my assistant to prepare and mail your payment so i need your full name,mailing address and cell phone number.Am paying by Certified Cashier Check .I'll add Extra $50 for keeping it in my favor.I will also make arrangement for pick-up which will be after you must have received and cashed the check.Awaiting your info.
Thanks"
I did a Google search and came up with multiple hits as did the original poster. This guys been busy!

Me

Yep. Classic scam.
And A-17, how come it took you 14 years to make your first post? We've missed you, buddy! :)

vanz73 12-12-2017 05:21 PM

I fell for this scam until I got a bogus check for $1500 for a $200 kit. He said take an extra $100 for my troubles and send the balance. Total scammer. I had the exact same emails. Reported this to my local police and post office. I am having fun answering his emails right now.