Community
Search
Notices
Model Rockets & Rocketry Discuss all aspects of model rocketry here, including r/c rocketry.

Hybrid motors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 06:17 PM
shaunrbell
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hybrid motors?

Just waiting for a Loc Precision BIG NUKE 3E Kit. Thought I'd get something to build while my kids finish up their Bomarc and start a Minni Magg. OK, I just wanted a big rocket lol! So I'd eventually like to fly it with a hybrid motor like a SkyRipper or a West Coast system. Any considerations during construction other than electronic chute deployment? Does the motor tube need to support the entire motor?

Cheers!
Old 04-21-2011, 07:31 AM
SGC

Default RE: Hybrid motors?

While it isnt essential for a full length motor tube, it is desireable with forward vented hybreds- Why? to ensure the vent tube isnt dislodged by the chute etc on acceleration, causeing N2O to be vented into the bodytube around the recovery gear as ejection gases/flame could cause undesirable results.
Im currently looking at the 54mm Skyripper hybred set for myself and will use full length motor tubes in my designs for the above reasons- may not be needed , but better safe than sorry.
Stewart
Old 04-21-2011, 08:17 AM
shaunrbell
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Hybrid motors?

Thanks, that's good information. Turns out the LOC Big Nuke 3E is a poor choice for 75mm hybrid motors anyways. The motor sits about 1/2" from the electronics bay lol. That doesn't leave a lot of room for a chute/ejection charge. LOC hadn't shipped yet so I changed the order to a Hyperloc 1600 which has a much longer body tube. Even so, a baffle in front of the motor would probably be a good idea.