Community
Search
Notices
MRC Charger Product Support (i.e. Super Brain, etc) Tim Sandor of MRC/Hirobo is your host. Ask all your MRC questions here!

Super brain 989- charging LiPo batteries help

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 06:57 AM
cardiacdog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super brain 989- charging LiPo batteries help

I have an old super brain 989 that I used for NiMH batteries. My son now has a LiPo Trinity. What do I need to be able to charge the LiPo batteries? I assume I need a separate device to balance but what would be the best options? Or do I need to modernize with a new charger that has a built in balance plug?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:38 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You need a new charger, yes one with balance plugs is almost a necessity. It is far to dangerous to charge LiPo's without the proper charger as an overcharge can cause a fire and, at the very least, lots of putrefying smoke.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:14 PM
John@MRC

Hi Cardiacdog,

I apologize for the late reply. The Super Brain 989 is capable of charging a LiPo battery but you will need to use an external balancer. I'm not sure if Trinity sells a balancer specifically for the battery that you own... but you can purchase one from a local hobby shop, or distributor.

We sell the MRC Accutec Balancer, which handles the balancing parallel to the charging of the lithium battery. You can see more at the link below.
http://www.modelrectifier.com/search...w.asp?ID=11403

If you have any further questions about the balancer, or any of our chargers then feel free to post here. You may also email me directly at [email protected]
Old 07-14-2022, 02:42 PM
ChicagoSlingshot

Hello,

I have several SuperBrain 989 chargers so I would really like to be able to use them with the new Lipo batteries I now have. I purchased a Tenergy 5-in-1 Cell Meter. It says it is a cell balancer as well. How do I use it as an external balancer with my old chargers? They don't make the balancer mentioned above by John@MRC. I also have several of those cheap Lipo meter and alarm devices if they would work.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.