Community
Search
Notices
MRC Charger Product Support (i.e. Super Brain, etc) Tim Sandor of MRC/Hirobo is your host. Ask all your MRC questions here!

977 charging and discharging Ni Mh batt

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 02:09 PM
TwoGJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 977 charging and discharging Ni Mh batt

I have just purchased a 977 Super Brain. I would like to establish charge and discharge settings for (1) 4.8 four cell 1400 mah Nimh and (2) 4.8 four cell 3600 mah Nimh. The batteries are new and I understand that they need to be cycled. What settings do I use for the break-in and what settings do I use after the initial break-in ,or slow charge settings, and fast charge settings?

Thanks
Old 04-02-2008, 10:34 AM
Tim@MRC

Default RE: 977 charging and discharging Ni Mh batt

For the first battery I would charge it at no higher than 1.4 amps for the initial charge, and the others I would charge at no higher than 3.6 amps for the initial charge. Just pay attention to the capacity going into the batteries, and the temperature of the batteries. If the charger shuts off and the batteries are still room temperature, then they're not fully charged. You can keep a running total of the MAH going in.

Tim
Old 04-02-2008, 03:55 PM
TwoGJoe

Thanks Tim
Old 05-29-2008, 12:07 PM
rctrax

Tim I have a 969 charger which is a couple years old but used very little as I can't seem to get consistent service out of it,so I have not used it much for fear of either harming my batterys or not haveing suffiecent power to fly with since I can't get consistent readings from it. Another issue is that the buttons don't seem to be making contact as I have to push them several times to make the display show the change. I understand that an upgrade to a 977 is available as an exchange for 42 dollars. If this is true I am considering the upgrade. I need a charger that I can depend on the readings I get when I charge for the next flying session. This one is all over the place when trying to get an idea of the status of my batterys. I have mostly NiMH which a couple of nicads mixed in.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:43 PM
Tim@MRC

Yes, we still offer the upgrade, although it's now $43.00 because of the increase in shipping costs. Please send it in with a check or a money order with your name, address, and phone number and we'll take care of it for you.

Tim
Old 06-03-2008, 02:09 AM
Creepin

I had a quick question about the 977 I just recently got back into electric, and picked up a tamiya drifter along with a 3200 Li-PO battery. I have the 969 and was going to send in for the 977, but is it worth it for the Li-PO features? OR am i still going to run into the same issues with the Li-PO and the 969. I am not really into "guessing" on a $100 battery
Old 06-03-2008, 09:47 AM
Tim@MRC

Here are the differences between the 977 and the 969. Read through them, I think the $43.00 is well worth it, but you can decide on that.

5 amps per channel instead of 4.5
10 amp power supply, so you can get the full 5 amps per output at the same time
soft touch buttons
4 amp discharge rate
Lithium specific setting

The power supply by itself retails for $25.00

Tim Sandor