Notices
MVVS Support Get support from 3 qualified MVVS Forum Hosts. Dar Zeelon, representative from Israel. David Moen, representative from Canada. Pe Reivers, representative from Netherlands.

Flex header for MVVS/Evolution 58?

Old 06-23-2011, 10:59 AM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Flex header for MVVS/Evolution 58?

I have an Evolution 58GX2, which I understand is the same engine as the MVVS 58 Prosport. I also have the Evolution canister and header to go with the engine, but the airplane I'm intending to mount it in has a built in tunnel which will require the canister to be directly behind the head of the engine (mounted inverted). Is there a flex header available to fit this engine and canister, or will something custom be required?
Old 06-23-2011, 11:24 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Flex header for MVVS/Evolution 58?

What you need is a swan neck header. You also need to know how much the canister center line drops in relation to the engine exhaust flange center line. 0, 25, and 50mm drop are standard dimensions. other values can be achieved by inserting two ball joints (2x) (MTW calls these knuckle joints). They also are great for making that just perfect fit.

If you do not want to use the swan neck header, you can fit the muffler to the engine and then define the engine mounting angle in order to line up the parts with the tunnel.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:44 AM
Auburn02

I'm aware of swan neck headers, but I haven't been able to locate any for this engine until now. Now I'm viewing your site (mvvs.nl) and I do see the swan neck headers listed there. Not that I wouldn't want to give you my business, but is there anywhere in the United States to order that? If not, what kind of time frame would it take to ship over?

Sorry for these questions, just trying to make some sense of the parts...what is the "Ø" column, and how do those prices convert to US dollars? Lastly, I see on most of the swan neck headers it says specify drop, but on the 58 it just says "For ss-tube reducer 28/25 see ball headers" - also, is the length of the header a standard length or does that need to be cut down?

Not sure what you mean about mounting it to the engine and then adjusting the angle. I don't want to be manipulating the angle of the engine any more than the airplane's built in right thrust. If I can't source a header relatively easily I'll just need to go with the pitts style muffler.

Thanks for the help Pe!
Old 06-23-2011, 02:12 PM
pe reivers

That's at least 6 questions, most of which will be answered if you read my web.
The "Ø" symbol is diameter.
There is no standard length! Standard for what? Header length very much depends on engine and mufler used. Where appropriate, I have mentioned preferred length.
Adjusting the angle means in this case you can rotate the engine around it's longitudinal axis until parts line up nicely.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Auburn02

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

That's at least 6 questions, most of which will be answered if you read my web.
I've seen responses from you like this before. I suppose we should think twice before asking questions in the "Engine Manufacturers Direct Support Forum." No offense Pe, but many of the answers are not on your "web," or are not very easy to find. Frankly I'm not sure what unit of currency "Price €" represents, but if it is US dollars that will give me some of the information I need.

The ''Ø'' symbol is diameter.
This is what I assumed. This ties into my question about the length. Based on this picture ( http://www.mvvs.nl/MTW/Headers_files/Kruemme-VA-DB.jpg ) the diameter is not constant through the length of the header. It very much appears to get larger towards the end of the header, which is I assume where the diameter is 28mm. So if the header has to be cut to length to fit the airplane, would that not make the diameter at the outlet of the header less than 28mm?

There is no standard length! Standard for what?
I'm used to tuned pipes for glow engines that don't have a flange on the header or the pipe. The pipe can be cut and uses a slip-on coupler to connect the two. The canister and header I have both have flanges ( http://www.mvvs.nl/images/3202-s.jpg and http://mvvs.nl/images/3204-s.jpg ), with a coupler and a pair of springs. If the setup is too long, can one of the pieces be cut? I presume they can't because of the flanges on each piece but I don't know, and I can't find any documentation. There's very little information about this engine at all, and it just doesn't seem like many people use these engines, or at least there's not much discussion of them on these forums. That's my only complaint about this engine really, which is probably why they're not as popular as some others. People won't buy and use what they can't find any information about.

Adjusting the angle means in this case you can rotate the engine around it's longitudinal axis until parts line up nicely.
This I understand. Since I'm putting the engine in a round-cowled airplane, that may actually work out. I'll take a look at it when the airframe arrives in the next few days.

I located the shipping information I had requested on your page. That's 1 out of my 6 questions I was able to solve on my own. Thanks for what help you're willing to provide on the others.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:29 AM
pe reivers

Being in Europe, my prices are in Euro ( € ) On almost every page I have a on line currency converter for the reader's convenience. I know USD is $ and not €.
The three questions you had left without answers on my web page I answered.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:01 AM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
The flexible header pipe (from Krumscheid) I first used on my MVVS 45cc engine began to leak black oil the first time I ran the engine.
Instead I built a rigid header with straight and 90 degree steel tubes from Krumscheid. This has worked now for 5 years without any trouble what so ever.
Header lenght is aproximately 30cm but it was built not with any specific lenght in mind, just to have a nice curvature and fit the airplane and engine cowl.

It turned out to work very good. My 45cc MVVS engine with the small MVVS cannister silencer, turns a 24x8 Mentz prop at 6400-6600rpm on 95 oktane fuel using 2,5% all synthetic oil.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36793.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1638485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53531.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	1638486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55238.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1638487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd87381.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	1638488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Al71003.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	1638489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ri70089.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1638490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12399.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	1638491  
Old 07-22-2011, 06:07 AM
pe reivers

Jan,
the flex part has a preferred flow direction. Your part may have been fitted wrong. It is difficult to explain, but the flow on the inside must be like water from a tiled roof. In addition to that, the flex part must be prepared with teflon tape (the white plumbers tape)
1) first twist/roll a tape rope tightly, and pull it in the flex grooves.
2) then wind 5 layers of tape over the flex part, using overlap of about 60%, well overlapping the flex ends.
3) finish the winding end with a few extra winds of tape.

These flex parts are a drag. I too use a well fitted stainless steel header pipe. Nice polishing job you did to clean up after the solder mess.