Community
Search
Notices
MVVS Support Get support from 3 qualified MVVS Forum Hosts. Dar Zeelon, representative from Israel. David Moen, representative from Canada. Pe Reivers, representative from Netherlands.

2 magnets on mvvs 58

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 06:45 PM
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 magnets on mvvs 58

What is the purpose of the 2 magnets on the mvvvs 58? Is that how they are getting so much power out of this motor?
Thanks, Chris
Old 02-26-2006, 06:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2 magnets on mvvs 58

No,
Any ignition, timed well, wil provide the best power that an engine is capable of.
The second magnet is there for three reasons.
1 it facilitates rpm measurements, and rotation direction control (latest ignitions)
2 it facilitates timing curve control
3 For safe starting, it resets the ignition, so it can fire again. The ignition does not fire again until it has seen this second magnet, so rocking the prop around dead centre only produces a spark once.

1 and 2 combined makes for a more reliable ignition timing algoritm, eliminating the occasional badly timed spark of the old single magnet types.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:34 PM
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the information. I've had several ask me about it and I didn't know what to tell them. Now I do. Not to change the subject but, on one of my 58's the braded wire on the spark plug wire has been rubbed almost all the way around. Only a few strands left. It has not gone through the insulation into the wire itself. Can this be repaired without buying a new ignition and is the braded wire also used as a ground.
Chris
Old 02-27-2006, 06:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The braided shielding also is ground, and should be protected from any chafing. The ignition will get damaged if it fails. This damage will not be covered by warranty. To repair: wrap some copper wire to and fro in a criss-cross maner over the damaged area, and solder to fix it in place.
Be sure to protect your HT lead better, so as to avoid this kind of damage.
Personally, I wrap chafing-prone sections with foam. Others use spiral protection sleeves.