Notices
MVVS Support Get support from 3 qualified MVVS Forum Hosts. Dar Zeelon, representative from Israel. David Moen, representative from Canada. Pe Reivers, representative from Netherlands.

Problem with the "Super Quiet Muffler".

Old 08-28-2007, 05:43 PM
JohnnyS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Problem with the "Super Quiet Muffler".

Hi all,

I recently got a new "8.0 GFS/R ABC-RC" with the "Super Quiet Silencer" and put it on a test stand to run it in. All in all, I think this is going to be a really good engine that will last a long time, although the breakin period may be longer than for "lesser" engines!

However at the end of the 2nd tank of fuel, the back of the "Super Quiet Silencer" blew clean off. It broke in a rough but fairly straight line around the muffler right behind the ring around the muffler where the pressure tap screws in. (See attached picture) I had noted some minor leaks of oil out of the muffler around that point from under the paint, but I never expected the whole thing to come apart. Fortunately no-one was standing behind the test stand when it came off. I was very surprised at this, as the test stand was very rigidly mounted and there was very little vibration. The engine bolts and muffler mounting bolts had all been checked and tightened after the first tank of fuel.

I need the extra sound reduction of the "Super Quiet" muffler at my flying field, so I'd like to know if this is something that is a "known problem" with these mufflers. If it is, I'll go ahead and return it for a store credit and get the minipipe (MVV3248). If it is a fluke, I'll just ask for a replacement.

Can you let me know if this problem might happen again with a replacement "Super Quiet Silencer"?

Thanks!

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25160.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	751990  
Old 08-29-2007, 10:47 AM
pe reivers

Default RE: Problem with the "Super Quiet Muffler".

clean the parts well, and glue it back on with a bead of red RTF silicone gasket paste. Let cure for a few days.

Warranty issues should be a communication between you and your supplier, not here on RCU.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:17 PM
JohnnyS

I think you misunderstood. I wasn't writing to complain or try to get help with warranty issues: I know that I can contact my supplier and get a replacement with no problem. I certainly would not have bought an MVVS engine if that was not the case.

All I was asking is if this is a common problem with the Super Quiet Muffler (3245A): If it is, then I will get the tuned silencer (3248) instead and add some silicone tubing to the end of it to damp out some of the noise. If this is not a common problem with this muffler then I'll just get another "Super Quiet Muffler".

Other than this problem, I am extremely impressed with the power, quality and robustness of the engine. I am looking forward to many years of service from it!

I hope this clears up any confusion.

John
Old 02-17-2008, 10:49 AM
Zaquron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen a few fail this way.
One of them my own, so i guess it's quite common.

regards,
Zaquron

Old 02-17-2008, 08:55 PM
JohnnyS

That's interesting. So far, everything else about this engine is superb: Great power, fit and finish and easy starting, so it's a funny little wart on an otherwise spectacular engine.

I picked up the tuned muffler and that works REALLY well with the engine. I've broken the engine in with that and it pulls very nicely. So, I'm going to run that combination to start. I just need to get building something to fly with this engine! If I wind up needing the quiet muffler, I have put it back together with gasket sealant, but I have not added more rivets. I will see if it loosens then I'll add rivets as needed to keep it together.

Thanks for the info!

John