Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

Edge 540 25, 45" initial review

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Edge 540 25, 45" initial review

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 03:51 PM
BalsaBrkr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Edge 540 25, 45" initial review

My plane is a full 1/2 lbs heavier than yours with a lighter engine....

What size servos are you using?

Did you do anything to lighten it up?

I call it my pig plane...
Old 06-28-2007, 05:10 PM
GiannisX

Hey BalsaBrkr
I forgot the muffler! 2.7 oz (76gram)
so in that way still yours is heavier :/
what do u mean full?i messured mine with empty tank. :P
I think that my 540 needs some extra epoxy somehow...
I use 5 standart airtronics servo
I modify a little the muffler ,ultra thin control rods and non metallic horns.
all servo wires have the correct length.
aluminium backplate of spinner and behind the firewall i put aluminium rusks,not this plastic s%t
I am not afraid the wheight cause this engine has enough power to lift that miammy steak.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:25 PM
BalsaBrkr

Sorry, "full" is just an English expression (I can see how it would be confusing) - I weighted it without fuel too.

I used light weight control rods in the rear too.

Oh well..

I've got around 20 flights on mine now and my experience is that it is spooky with my engine until it picks up speed. One it gets moving it is very fast.

It flies good at speed, but you need to conserve energy.

I still have a 2 1/2 oz spinner nut on the end to make it balance so I could probably goto a .40 size without adding much weight.

An evolution with 5.5 lbs of thrust would certainly help overcome its current problems....
Old 07-01-2007, 11:08 PM
dmwelsh

Hey all, Im from Australia and I got one of these planes from E-bay. I notice that a lot of those who post on this topic are used to flying larger size planes... This is the big problem. I would say that most if not all of you have placed your huge 55-57 gram servo's into this plane. Most of these servo's are rear of CofG meaning you have placed 275 grams of weight behind the CofG. This is equivalent to a block of butter or a 2400mah lipo. This is why you are having to go and load even more weight at the front of the plane making it a PIG. Now if you use a more appropriate servo 16 gram you would have a total of 80 grams of servo weight. Meaning you have just peeled off 195 grams of weight from rear of CofG. 195 equates to about a 2000mah lipo to put it in perspective.

Now for the power requirement. I noticed that one or more people placed a .40 or .46 size motor in this tiny plane, this is also wrong wrong wrong wrong. Go with a .25 - .30 size motor and enjoy!!!

To all of you who have this sitting on the shelf not even bothering to give it a try, go with my recomendations and have some fun.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:55 AM
GiannisX

Hey dmwelsh
I dont know and im not sure about aileron servos,but the rudder ,throggle and elevetor servos defently must to be a standart size.
more wheight needs and means more power
the only problem with this size of motor(.46) i think is the intense vibration.
Larger propeller gives more airwave back to ur tail and make the plane more stabilized
Good luck with urs [8D]
Regards GiannisX
Old 07-02-2007, 03:14 AM
dmwelsh

Sorry GiannisX, but I do not agree with your reply. This is a small plane and if you compare its flying weight with any other similar size edge 540 you will note that it is one of the heavier models available. Given that all posts regarding this plane have had to add large amounts of nose weight to get the cg right, and that lots more have just scrapped the plane. I would say I'm right on the mark. Mine flies perfect and my 16 gram servos have more than enought power 2.5Kg/cm to power the ailerons, elevator and rudder. When you scale down a plane, you scale down not only engine power, fuel capactiy, outrunner, lipo but the servo's along with it. This particular thread is mainly asking how to get this plane to fly nice without having to add 10oz to the nose, or extending the motor out further making the plane not scale. My post explains to people how to achieve this.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:29 AM
GiannisX

Hey dmwelsh
When i have to add extra wheight and how much i ll tell u.cause im not finished yet.
Why cannot fly scale with overpowered motor?its in your fingers to do that.i can change the pitch of propeller to slow down.or i can use 3bat prop. (much better)
Im just wrote my initial review of my also ebay edge.
Regards Giannis
p.s what kind of motor u use?
p.s 2 soz 4 my english
Old 07-02-2007, 03:46 AM
dmwelsh

Hey GiannisX,

My only reasoning for not over powering the air craft is because it equates to more weight. If you are aiming toward a scale flying machine then stick to the recomendations, if you want to be a jet pilot then go ahead and bog the plane down with weight and give it more power to boot. I use an O.S. .25 on mine.

p.s 2 soz 4 my english (Dont quite understand what you mean here but I will assume you want a gram to oz conversion here... http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/gram_calc.htm )

For all other readers who are considering this plane as a second or third, keep the weight down as I have done and you will have slower smoother take offs and landings.

Cheers!

P.S. Just got a 52" Edge 540T. Going to slowly outfit the craft, have already looked at some Bluebird low profile metal gear servo's on Ebay and from what other info I have found on Google they seem to be really high speed good comp servo's which weigh in at 35 grams each. They have 4.5Kg/cm of torque which is more than enough for each controll surface for this size plane. This will also help keep rear CofG weight down as I will be making this baby an electric plane so motor and batteries up front will be lighter than a glow version. I will post a full build up and flight testing when I am done. Have been working on it all day and found plenty of ways to reduce weight. I think this will be a ripper.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:58 AM
GiannisX

Oh sorry!
I mean sorry for my english
i use google for my numeric translations.thanx!
It will be helpfull to see ur full post.
I have take my desission after many many thoughts and questions about the engine.i have also a .25 os but noone in my country aeroforum tells me to use it instead of .46
And u came now to make me rescratch my head [&:]
Thanx
Old 07-12-2007, 04:07 PM
DNAer

I am supposed to get mine this Friday and am putting in a Saito .62...won't my maiden flight be interesting. At least I probably won't need to add any lead to the nose.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:59 PM
DNAer

Ran 6 tanks through the 540 today with the Saito .62....awesome. The plane does blindingly fast rolls and great inverted flat spins. Achilles heel are the loops. Toned down the throws and went 45% on the expo and that helped but the high wing loading makes this snap out of tight loops....large loops are fine. It really flies more like a pattern plane than an acro. Very good looking plane and took me about ten hours to build. The Saito balanced out the CG at exactly 2.75 inches...no lead neccesary.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:09 PM
chevy43

DNAer, What did you AUW come out to and what servo's did you use? What size prop and how well does it clear the ground?
Old 07-18-2007, 04:31 PM
DNAer

Chevy:

AUW came in at 4lbs 15 oz...not bad considering the weight of the motor alone is 1lb 12oz. I went with Jr micro servos on all but the elevator...standard size for elevator. The micros pull 38oz at 6 volts so I felt comfortable with that considering the size of the control surfaces. I am running a 12x5 prop and ground clearance is no problem(I run on a mowed airstrip). Frankly the landing gear is flexible enough to raise the front end up another inch if you want to. This is no junior Cardin by any means but it is a fun flyer and keeps you on your toes because of the high wing loading. I just don't think it is as bad as some posters have reported. I will say that I double my elevation over the ground when I am doing anything more than level flight...this one needs extra recovery room because of the wing loading.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:42 PM
jim gravelle

i need the cg point for edge 540 45 inch wingspan, from the leading edge?can someone help
??????
Old 02-14-2008, 11:14 PM
opjose

Since that is a fairly straight wing, you can safely calculate the C.G.

Take 25% to 30% of the wing chord length against the fuse and use that as your target C.G. point.

Start off at the 25% point and move it back after you've flown the plane, if you want too.

Further forward and it's easier to grease the landings in, further back makes the plane more responsive ( up to a point ) but the plane will tend towards bouncing more on landings.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:43 PM
jim gravelle

i need it from the book and souds like i need to move more bacck from others here?
Old 07-10-2008, 07:31 PM
alex_007_aj

hi, i'm about to get my first nitro plane, and I had a few questions, i’m getting a edge 540T from http://www.nitroplanes.com/edge-540-red-bull-blue.html and I have to get the engine and servos, first up, what servos would you suggest? Does any servo fit? Next up, i’m getting the suggested 2c 0.46 cu in engine. I know I need a 4 channel remote, anything else I will need?
Old 07-10-2008, 08:00 PM
alex_007_aj

hi, i'm about to get my first nitro plane, and I had a few questions, i’m getting a edge 540T from http://www.nitroplanes.com/edge-540-red-bull-blue.html and I have to get the engine and servos, first up, what servos would you suggest? Does any servo fit? Next up, i’m getting the suggested 2c 0.46 cu in engine. I know I need a 4 channel remote, anything else I will need?
Old 08-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Shouter
My Feedback: (1)

does anyone still fly this little edge anymore? this thread is as good as dead
Old 08-31-2008, 08:43 PM
rtmmh

just ordered one 2nite b 4 reading the threads. not sure if i should have bought it. but, i have flown the .25 teaqula(spelling) sunrise and the modeltech extra which both have smaller wingspans then the extra 540. i'll post more when i get it but not sure what to put in it. i have a OS .46 AX, OS .52 four stroke but might consider OS 40 four stroke. will keep you updated.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:02 PM
zaboaa

LOL, I just ordered it today. Sounds like a pig. I'm going to put an EVO .46 with a pitts style muffler, maybe that will help. Oh well only paid around $80 buck for it, I'll report what happens after it's first flight. I really like the Extra 330 i bought from them, so I thought i would try this...
Old 09-04-2008, 03:42 PM
rtmmh

zaboaa

Me too. i should be getting it 9/9/08. i'll let you know what i think about it when i get it. might put a .46 AX on it. should be enough weight in the front for it. let me know what you think.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:12 PM
FotoFly.biz

Glad I found this thread! I just got mine today and am excited and nervous about it. My first 3d style plane was a eFlite Extra 260 3d 480 and i had a lot of fun with it! it was very light, also very fragile built up fuse too.
{some video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJIHc1ErNaA }
I ripped the gear off 4 times out of 10 flights (but fixed easy each time). Loved the plane! Then pilot error induced a catastrophic run in with the concrete pad I fly off of. I didn't realize I was THAT close to the ground (oops!)

So i wanted to get something similar but had a motor (NItroplanes Monster Power 32 {700 watt motor} 60 amp ESC) laying around from another crash victim and when I saw this plane for 85 bucks and it's size seemed just right for my powertrain. I figured "awesome!" that'll work. I put the parts together today (no gear or anything in it - just taped the wings on, canopy, tail & cowling - and I thought "DAMN! thats freakin' tail heavy as hell". I remembered from my gas flying days in the 1980's - this plane is built SOLID for gas flying. I like that it won't bust up as easy as the eFlite Extra 260 - but it's overbuilt for electric use, in my opinon. I figured I'd have to lighten up...

Then i searched here and found out it most certainly is tail heavy. So - i thank all you guys for your input & posts - i will be modifying mine for sure. my first thoughts are too hack a bunch off the rear fuselage (cut lightening holes, mount battery IN the cowl, mount servos in front of wing spar or whatever to get the job done).

I am not a great enough pilot to fly a pig! The eFlite 260 3d 480 was awesome with the equivalent MonsterPower motor in it - light wing loading, vertical to the clouds! I love this style of plane and hope to get more than a bunch of balsa scrap out of it - but it looks like a good electric conversion challenge - and I'm up for that! I've scratch built 10 or so blue foam planes (currently building a blue foam replica of the Extra 260 for the flight gear out of the crashed eFlite), plus 3 ARF's - so I got ingenuity and plenty of creativity to make this work. I'll even add wingspan and cut the control surfaces down if needed...

Report next week on how it goes. Have good flying this weekend!
Old 10-01-2008, 01:06 PM
FotoFly.biz

Well, after futher review i'm holding off on putting this thing together...got a bug to build a giantscale foamie P-63 Kingcobra instead of deal with this tail-heavy beauty. So for now i'm just going to hang her on wires and enjoy the view...

Maybe zaboaa and rtmmh will update us on how their planes turn out...good luck guys! Hope it works great
Old 10-20-2008, 06:06 PM
rtmmh

[img][/img]fotofly,

Glad to hear that you held off putting it together. took it up for the first time today. i consider myself a good pilot and can maiden fly succesfully pretty much anything. But, this plane sucks. i had an OS 46AX and it was slightly nose heavy. even after i trimmed it out, it still flew like ****. i have to say, during my second flight, i purposly crashed it. i hated it that much that i could care less what happened to it. you want a REALLY good plane to build, fly and really enjoy? get the Seagull models ultimate. 54"wingspan but a beauty of a plane. good luck with the edge.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50191.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	1055848  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.