Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

Zlin Z-50 recieved

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Zlin Z-50 recieved

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 05:15 PM
bumpman
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Zlin Z-50 recieved

I don't know what is on these silver painted canopys,but I have tried lacquer thinner and paint remover,neither will touch it."I don't beleive it myself".I have some brake fluid in the basement,I will try that tomorrow.I also tried spraying clear inside thinking maybe it was sand blasted,no luck there either.ALSO no response from NITRO either ! It seems to be a real crap shoot dealing with these people.They are a one shot store,if you get it "right" in the box,its a good deal,but if there is a problem, your stuck !
Old 12-12-2007, 05:55 PM
Speedie500

Let us know how you do with the brake fluid, bumpman
Old 12-17-2007, 09:37 PM
bumpman

Brake fluid did no good,I have been messing with this so much the canopy is now distorted.Very frustrating ! Going to try Nitro again.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:58 PM
flyguy506

Here's my Zlin. I rebuilt or replaced or modified the cowling, landing gear, tail struts and moved all the equipment to the CG area. The ailerons were warped so some straightening was in order. The plane flew straight but was a little nose heavy. My son flew it on the second flight and made a sharp turn on the ground and the left wheel hub broke. My modified wide landing gear not only held up really good but prevented the plane from hitting a tip! I replaced the wheels with the very durable dubro which were grey and matched the color scheme. I have moved the battery from under the gas tank to behind the gas tank resulting in the CG about a 1/4 inch back from the published CG. I have not had a chance to fly it but will give a complete report when done. This has been the most difficult ARF because of the many modifications and replacement of parts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48469.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	828269   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37164.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	828270   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72259.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	828271  
Old 12-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Speedie500

[X(] flyguy:That's just plain wrong, you got a clear canopy.

[:@] Bumpman: Sorry to hear about your deformatey. Good luck with Nitro.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:40 PM
flyguy506

bumpman, sorry you didn't get a clear canopy. [&o]If you have access to the November 2007 issue of Model Aviation( the AMA monthly magazine), they have a detailed article on making your own canopy.

flyguy
Old 12-27-2007, 09:59 PM
bumpman

Here's the latest on the Zlin clear canopy, John came through for me. I received one Christmas eve.from Nitro,So now I am good to go !
Old 02-22-2008, 03:50 AM
goph

how is the progres on everybodys zlin . my be like me no time to even look at it.
hope to be in the air in the next few weeks all going well.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:41 PM
spinnerman

Can U tell me want the CG is????
Old 02-26-2008, 10:31 PM
mando
My Feedback: (1)

The manual ( if you can call it that) calls for 80mm or 3.1 inches. I've got mine at 3 3/16" and it's a little touchy at that. I think I'll move it forward a little this spring.

Mando........
Old 02-27-2008, 02:18 AM
spinnerman

Thanks, I asked the owner of Duncan's R/C here in Phoenix, Arizona
what he thought. I used a 480-500 class outrunner motor w/ a 9x6 prop and a 2200mAp Lipo.

He told me to set the CG at 3 1/2" that worked out GREAT. Flow just Great until the speed control melted. Only had to add 14grams to the nose. I had the battery as far forward as I could get it.
[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Thanks for the reply Mando
[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 04-29-2008, 08:22 AM
PA BEN

Anyone have info on the 120 size Zlin Z50?
Old 04-29-2008, 12:43 PM
spinnerman

Here are a couple site I have found

[link]http://www.raidentech.com/fofw190bubi1.html[/link]

[link]http://www.raidentech.com/fofw190bubi1.html[/link]
Old 04-29-2008, 05:54 PM
PA BEN

I'm looking for any info from any one who has this bird. How's it fly? Building etc.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:05 AM
pradep

Hello there and I am from Malaysia, I got a zlin 50 from my friend and was assembled when i bought it.I installed a 46 Tunder Tiger used engine and had a lot of problems with the engine,During one take off and banking left the engine kind of slowed down and nearly tip stalled and managed to recover but swang from left to right until it crashed. The firewall was intact except the fuselarge at the wing wing securing section ripped off and i got it repaired. I gave a new coat of sola film and looks like never crushed before but when i checked the CG, ****, it was way out. It is tail heavy and this is the first time i did the cg check on this model. My frieend had checked when he assembled it. Lately i got to know he got it from a supplier here who imported from a back door company in china who copys any models and sells them cheap. I have put on 180 grms of weight, (used for tyre balancing) on the fire wall and below and still tail heavy, according to the manual stated as 80 mm from the leading edge. I took a grip plier and attached to the shaft(front)where the props are attached and it kind of balanced, Wow, what a weight i have to add on.
Anyone out there can advise what should i do or should cut holes on the fuselarge body to reduce the weight? It is such a beautiful bird and very eager to fly her. Please advise,
Pradeep
Old 07-08-2008, 05:24 AM
goph

i fitted the tail servo's in the cock pit. onley had to add 45grm's to the fire wall
it has got a os 55ax up front
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51179.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	986208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84165.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	986209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31105.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	986210   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg99009.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	986211  
Old 08-27-2008, 11:05 PM
robbinsp
My Feedback: (10)

[&:]i have been working on mine wor a couple weeks now. it is a hard arf that is for sure. i wanted to go with a saito fa50 but needed to add 3.4 oz up front. so decided to go with a 55ax that has been collecting dust.

that should do me im hoping to get it done and get a maiden in. wil;l be using lots of exponential on ailerons and elevator.

why the hell did they design this arf with servos in the tail? LOL

btw, goph, im not trying to copy you, but so far it looks like it with the 55 and relocated servos.

i wonder if a 61fx and servos in tail would balance> if so, this may be a 60 sized arf and typoed????

later friends,
Robbins
Old 08-27-2008, 11:20 PM
nitro wing

ORIGINAL: pradep

Hello there and I am from Malaysia, I got a zlin 50 from my friend and was assembled when i bought it.I installed a 46 Tunder Tiger used engine and had a lot of problems with the engine,During one take off and banking left the engine kind of slowed down and nearly tip stalled and managed to recover but swang from left to right until it crashed. The firewall was intact except the fuselarge at the wing wing securing section ripped off and i got it repaired. I gave a new coat of sola film and looks like never crushed before but when i checked the CG, ****, it was way out. It is tail heavy and this is the first time i did the cg check on this model. My frieend had checked when he assembled it. Lately i got to know he got it from a supplier here who imported from a back door company in china who copys any models and sells them cheap. I have put on 180 grms of weight, (used for tyre balancing) on the fire wall and below and still tail heavy, according to the manual stated as 80 mm from the leading edge. I took a grip plier and attached to the shaft(front)where the props are attached and it kind of balanced, Wow, what a weight i have to add on.
Anyone out there can advise what should i do or should cut holes on the fuselarge body to reduce the weight? It is such a beautiful bird and very eager to fly her. Please advise,
Pradeep
Man
This is the perfect paragraph of Cheap Chinese ARF's and new builder combo ever.What the F can I say?
Cheap junk and inexperience in handling,building,power systems,aviation will lead to definate disaster and or injury or death.Beginners should never be allowed to aquire a questionable product.
I hope that you will experience better safer days with it.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:56 PM
nitro wing

On the other hand,I would like to defend the makers and distributors of these ARF's
It seems to be a reasonable product for initial price and moderate experienced builders and fliers.
For the unsuspecting new comers,these deals are inviting and self destructive,and often result in re purchasing a better product from another source shortly after becoming involved with a dead end off shore sub product. []
Old 08-28-2008, 10:08 PM
robbinsp

Yep got my fifty done tonight. had to swap out the saito for the os 2 stroke ax55. I could not bring myself to add any weight to this plane that would decrease its power:weight ratio. I will maiden tomorow, and will post results.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:35 PM
nitro wing

Good luck with it.
3 things that often bring a plane down on maiden are reversed ailerons,unreliable engine and bad,usually aft CG.It is an unuasual airframe,and am surpised its not modeled more often.
Happy maiden
Old 09-01-2008, 08:32 PM
robbinsp

hi all
had my maiden flight last thursday night. i tell ya what, i was darn suprised! i have been flying a pulse xt40 with a thunder tiger .46 for 6 months now. i am getting better flying with it still. i hope i never outgrow it. anyways... i am used to flying a predictable performer. So there is no denying i vas quite apprehensive about flying the zlin by myself. luckily i had a friend with much more experience than I to accompany me at the flightline. I was then willing to give her the go knowing that he was there if only to take the controls had i became in need of such action.

Luckily I did not have to hand him the controller at all. The zlin with its 55ax powered up on take off and lifted off the ground in a calming, spmewhat familliar manner. with a little bet of aileron trim she was flying quite well. The only problem i had was pitch changing with throttle position. i will have to give her another flight this week so i can make a decision on what to change about it. the cg may have to be adjusted, or maybe some elevator adjustment, etc.

It is kinda slippery in its landings too, although i was using an 11x7 apc prop when i am used to the braking action of a 12x4 on the pulse. could have been first landing jitters that took the landing gear block out, but it was eazily epoxied back in. never hurt the metal of the main gear though. it was one of those landings that i didnt want to land but at the last minute i decided to and went into the tallgrass. ooops-

anyways thats it. it flew ok and am quite happy with the time i spent moving servos to distribute balance out and love the ax55 engine. pics to come another night

later
robbins
Old 09-01-2008, 09:32 PM
nitro wing

Try a 12x6 APC and re fly.
Pitch change is likely due to the engine thrustline.
Retest with level flight 1/2 power,then go to full power,if it suddenly climbs add down thrust (one washer at a time)
If it pulls down add upthrust to the mount.There are other but similar ways to test also.Then check your uplines(vertical),if it drifts left or right with neutral rudder trim,add a bit of sidethrust.
After that you can do some standard CG checks.To trim a plane really well can take considerable time,be patient.
Good luck.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:57 AM
eagle09tbl

A friend of mine just got his Zlin ready this week but no maiden yet. It has a Magnum 52 4 stroke up front and still had to add weight to the nose to get it to balance. Throws are set conservative for the maiden so we'll see.

Lots of good info in this thread and I wish that we had found it earlier in time to move the rear servos. It is a great looking plane when finished, but not a very easy ARF to assemble. Many of the parts needed "tweaking" but any experienced builder should have no problem at all putting it together. For the cost of this kit, I'd say a good value and a very sharp looking plane once completed.

Something I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is knife edge flight. Can anyone comment on their experience trying it with this plane yet?

Thanks for your input guys, and I'll post an update once the maiden is done along with some pics.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:40 PM
robbinsp

mine had an ax 55 and would knife edge fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.