Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

Nitromodel YAK-54 3d 50 setup

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Nitromodel YAK-54 3d 50 setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 09:52 PM
cabern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitromodel YAK-54 3d 50 setup

This plane is advertised as a 3D plane...does that include hovering? I have mounted a saito 82 inverted with 14X4 APC Wide Blade prop, set CG to recommended setting (4.7 inches) and can not get a stablized hover. All of my control throws are maxed out (45 degrees or greater). I'm wondering if mounting the engine inverted effected the thrust line...any thoughts? Does anyone have a better CG setting worked out for hovering? I learned to hover with Paul Swany's MOJO 60. It's possible that plane just spoiled me...since it hovers so nice. Any comments regarding plane setup are welcome and feel free to submit your setups.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:58 PM
opjose

Default RE: Nitromodel YAK-54 3d 50 setup

I have the identical larger Yak 54 1.40.

Yes both planes will hover.

Both planes do so, well like Yaks.

They are relatively easy to hover compared to say a standard non-3D tail dragger, but they definitely do NOT approach the ease of say a Funtana, as the Yak is not built the same way.

The orientation of the engine does NOT affect hovering.

The bigger the prop, and the further back the C.G. the easier the plane is to hover.

However the Yak will snap like a demon on you if the C.G. is brought back, particularly when it's slow... as in landings...

The weight of the plane also factors in, and this Yak is not lightly loaded.

The Mojo is a profile plane which is an entirely DIFFERENT kettle of fish... It hovers nicely like a good 3D profile plane... but this differs greatly from say a Yak 54.... particularly a short tailed Yak 54, which is really more of an acrobatic plane IMHO than it is a 3D plane.

Something like a Twist 3D would have felt far more comfortable to you.

The Yak is a handful to hover in one sense, yet it's infinitely easier than say hovering an Ultimate 1.20 or Ultimate .60 sized Bipe...

So it's somewhat relative.

As a result some owners of larger Yaks even resort to sticking Gyros on the rudder and elevator controls, to help it hover.

I would not suggest this...

Just keep at it, and remember that hovering a smaller plane is much more difficult ( except for those awesome profilers ) than a larger one...

Old 09-27-2007, 08:22 PM
cabern

Thanks for the post opjose.

For all that are interested...I pushed the CG back to 5 3/16 inches (apprx 131mm) and my hover stabilized alot. With the CG pushed back, I could tell a little difference in the plane's landing characteristics, but it still landed pretty soft. With most planes I have messed with, pushing the CG back, brings on some hairy landings. It did effect the landing a little...with the CG pushed back, it seemed I had to fly it on in...which is the case with most planes of this caliber. (except those floaters of course ).

By the way, this plane knife edges and torque rolls like a dream! I've been use to flying profiles, so I have never flown a plane that required a great deal of right aileron to keep from torque rolling...but this one sure did. This is not a complaint by no means

This is a fun little plane!!!
Old 11-19-2007, 09:20 PM
speeds4me

Sorry to bring this post back up but i just bought this yak 54 50, and i'm going to put the os 61 fx on in it. My prob is trying to geuss what prop i should be throwing if anyone has any sug let me know, Also Mounting the motor? I lost my direc. and have really dont know where to put it, All my arf's came with pre drilled firwalls for the mounts so i'm kinda lost. Thanks guys

PS needs a prop that will let her hover thanks huys
Old 11-20-2007, 10:05 PM
cabern

I'm running a saito82 14X4 on this particular setup...so i can only give a guess based on another plane i have. I have a run a 13X4 on my OS 55 AX and it did ok, but close to the ground it's too slow to pick up. You want to be able to pull out quick so you need a prop that will spin up fast. I have a topcap with a APC 12X4, and I have also thrown a APC 11.5X4. Both do equally as well on this topcap with the OS 55 AX. You just dont want to fly around full blast because it will spin these small props very fast. It just gives you alot of instant hump getting away from the ground . I think the 12X4 or 13X4 would be a decent starting place.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:05 PM
JCINTEXAS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a question for any and all in this forum.
I've recently returned to RC flying after many years. Previously I flew pattern and Quickie 500. I like the looks of the "3D" type airplanes and I have a few questions about them. What's the difference between the various popular models such as the various Extras, Yaks, Giles, etc.? Is this a "Ford vs Chevy" type choice or is one type more dominant in aerobatic competition? Is one more popular than another? I like the way the Yak flies on the Realflight Simulator. I do plan to stick with glow engines for now. I figure if I ever switch to gas, I will need a trailer to transport the planes. Any information or suggestions would be welcome.
Regards
JC
Old 05-05-2008, 09:22 PM
ILv2Xlr8

What is the difference between the [link=http://www.nitroplanes.com/yak523d5056n.html]Yak 52 3D 50 -56"[/link] and the [link=http://www.nitroplanes.com/yak543d5056n.html]Yak 54 3D 50 -56"[/link]?

The 5.2lbs/616 sq in wingloading sounds like a decent ratio, but a Saito 82 sounds way to big for the aircraft weight. That large of a motor could require a lot of balast weight in the tail of the aircraft further increasing this ratio and decreasing ability to hover...
Old 05-05-2008, 10:14 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: ILv2Xlr8

What is the difference between the [link=http://www.nitroplanes.com/yak523d5056n.html]Yak 52 3D 50 -56"[/link] and the [link=http://www.nitroplanes.com/yak543d5056n.html]Yak 54 3D 50 -56"[/link]?
They are supposed to be exactly the same plane.

Ok, now that I've said that, there was one poster here who ordered one of these planes, and he was so pleased that he ordered a second one.

He posted pics on another thread which clearly showed that the second he ordered was not the same thing. He did not like the second plane. Bear in mind that he may have been misshipped the wrong one though.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:02 PM
ILv2Xlr8

ORIGINAL: opjose
They are supposed to be exactly the same plane.
Ok, now that I've said that, there was one poster here who ordered one of these planes, and he was so pleased that he ordered a second one.
He posted pics on another thread which clearly showed that the second he ordered was not the same thing. He did not like the second plane. Bear in mind that he may have been misshipped the wrong one though.
I did a little searching and could not find the post you are referring to. Do you remember any other specifics?
Old 05-18-2008, 07:57 PM
ILv2Xlr8

I ordered the [link=http://www.nitroplanes.com/yak543d5056n.html]Yak 54 3D 50 - 56"[/link] and it finally came in Friday. I am impressed by the quality of the kit so far after digging through everything in the box. I'll let you know how it builds.

I'll probably put a Saito 82 in it since it weighs the same as the 70. Going to use a 6g sub-micro servo for throttle to save another ounce or two.

I'll post how it all comes together.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:21 PM
ILv2Xlr8

Can anyone recommend control throws for normal and dual rates on this plane?