Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

Thinking about giving NP a try? Extra 260

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Thinking about giving NP a try? Extra 260

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 04:18 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking about giving NP a try? Extra 260

Well there is so much bad press out there for NitroPlanes and a few people who actively speek out on their behalf. Anyone who has worked a customer service oriented job knows you normally only hear negative feedback while your satisfied customers usually just move on quietly with their lives without ever talking about their positive experience. I am believing this may be the case with Nitro Planes and think I will order the 50 size [link=http://www.nitroplanes.com/niex26050533.html]Extra 260[/link]. It's an inexpensive plane that I like the lines of. Does anyone have this plane? I can not find any reference to it. Positive or negative. I will come back to this thread if I go thru with it and post my findings here. Maybe I will document my build with pictures and create an English build manual for it and ask NP if they want to trade it for my next plane
Old 12-16-2007, 06:38 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thinking about giving NP a try? Extra 260

I like most of the planes from Nitroplanes.

I have no experience with that plane but I do have another of the FLy-Models Extras...

I like the plane but I'd advise you to take a look at the similiarly sized Giles 202 ver 2 or the other CMP planes instead.

IMHO these are better in my experience.

I'm partial to the fully sheeted ones ( bear this in mind )...

I just ordered the 50CC 540T which looks very good.... but is covered ply instead of sheeted balsa.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:03 PM
Mr67Stang

Thanks for the input. I really do not care for the looks of the Giles series of planes myself. How can you tell if it's a "Fly-Models" or a CMP model? Also is your advice geared towards the CMP line because the performance or quality of the plane or something else? You seem to be the most experienced modler with NP's products so I do apreciate your comments when I am concidering putting my money down. If it comes down to it though I will likely find another source if this Extra 260 is just not worth it. Because I really want a 260 for the mid wing design and general good looks. If you like the fully sheeted models I have a 1/4 scale Hanger 9 Matt Chapman Cap 232-fat heavy pig-with an Evolution 35cc gasoline engine I'll likely be unloading
Old 12-16-2007, 07:33 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

Thanks for the input. I really do not care for the looks of the Giles series of planes myself. How can you tell if it's a "Fly-Models" or a CMP model? Also is your advice geared towards the CMP line because the performance or quality of the plane or something else? You seem to be the most experienced modler with NP's products so I do apreciate your comments when I am concidering putting my money down. If it comes down to it though I will likely find another source if this Extra 260 is just not worth it. Because I really want a 260 for the mid wing design and general good looks. If you like the fully sheeted models I have a 1/4 scale Hanger 9 Matt Chapman Cap 232-fat heavy pig-with an Evolution 35cc gasoline engine I'll likely be unloading
The planes listed as "Nitroplanes" planes are the fly-models aircraft.

I wouldn't say that there is anything overtly wrong with them, though may be better than others.

However I like the way the CMP ARFs are put together and some of the included hardware can be quite good.

e.g. the Giles comes with Carbon fiber pushrods, CF landing gear, Aluminum Bell Crank for the Pull-Pull rudder, pin hinges which are pre-cut and drilled. etc.

The CMP Extra looks fantastic and a club member had one... unfortunately this plane was lost during a maiden. It is a very heavy plane though.

The plane was not correctly set up and he ended snapping a wing off during an uncontrolled full power dive while attempting to trim it out... ugh.

I don't have direct experience with the one you are looking at but I do have the Goodrich Extra 300.

I just started building it, and my first thought was that I would be replacing some hardware, clear coating the covering after getting rid of some wrinkles and re-inforcing where ever possible.

I don't think that what you are looking at is "bad" though, I just don't have that model.... it does look better than my Goodrich though.

It's quite possible that the gear and the pushrods are CF given the picture.

It looks like a nice light plane.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:49 PM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: opjose

I don't think that what you are looking at is "bad" though, I just don't have that model.... it does look better than my Goodrich though.

It looks like a nice light plane.
It looks better than the BFGoodrich, aka Patty Wagstaff I'm guessing, because of the mid wing design in my opinion. The fact that it's lightly built is the attraction for me. I fully understand the frailties of models built like this.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:10 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

It looks better than the BFGoodrich, aka Patty Wagstaff I'm guessing, because of the mid wing design in my opinion. The fact that it's lightly built is the attraction for me. I fully understand the frailties of models built like this.
Given the use of Ply instead of Balsa and an experienced flyer like you, this shouldn't be a big problem...

I'm banking on the same thing with the similiarly built larger 540T.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Mr67Stang

Well, I have returned from Iraq and just took a cursory look at the two Extra 260's I ordered. They look great! I was impressed with them both. At this point there apears to be no shipping damage but I have not even taken them out of the plastic yet. Too much to do after being gone for 6 months to jump right back in. I will keep all interested as I build it and maiden it.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:03 PM
llilly
My Feedback: (23)

I have the Extra 260 from Nitroplanes and it's an awesome plane! Flies great. I love it. I replaced the hardware that came with it though. I also have the CMPro Giles 202 V2 and it's a great plane as well - the covering is cool looking but it's difficult to see top from bottom in the blue sky- it flies great! Nitroplanes has some great planes and some not-so-great ones. Fortunately, I've had good experiences with Nitroplanes.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:12 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: llilly

I have the Extra 260 from Nitroplanes and it's an awesome plane! Flies great. I love it. I replaced the hardware that came with it though. I also have the CMPro Giles 202 V2 and it's a great plane as well - the covering is cool looking but it's difficult to see top from bottom in the blue sky- it flies great! Nitroplanes has some great planes and some not-so-great ones. Fortunately, I've had good experiences with Nitroplanes.
Yeah that GMP Giles 202 V2 is a pretty good deal for what you get for the price.

I'm quite happy with it.

I do find that the default thrust angle needs a bit of tweaking as the nose pulls down a bit during run-up while in flight.

Adding a degree of up thrust should cure this.