Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

A-10 never got off ground!!!

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

A-10 never got off ground!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 01:20 AM
mech79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A-10 never got off ground!!!

I have the nitro models ME-109 RTF and it flew right out of the box. I have since taken the stock stuff out and am adding a brushless motor from hobby city. I just want more SPEED!!! I have been told and believe that I read either here or on RCGROUPS that you can add one more cell to the battery and these brushed motors work great in the A-10 for a slower flying airplane, but I have seen it fly stock.... very slow for twins. Post pictures of the wreckage or glue it back together with 5 min epoxy, add one more cell and try it out. Aint gonna hurt already damaged!!!
Old 10-02-2008, 10:18 AM
Flexserve

spare parts are available for low cost here:
http://www.nitroplanes.com/a10camo.html

if some are beyond repair.

[8D]
Old 11-12-2008, 02:54 PM
thecyberfleamarket

Im sorry you crashed and burned. I am a helicopter pilot but Im NOT an RC Helicopter expert. I flew my first $300 helicopter for about 15 minutes on its maiden flight before smacking into the only pole for miles in the parking lot. I moved to a cheaper model the next time. I also wanted to try to fly some Jet RC ACs. I looked at the A-10 video, read the reviews and still doing research. I also just got the flight sim today. Theres not any RC FLight pros close by here, so Im on my own. Bigger battery, 5 minute epoxy, and a grassy area will help some. Short slow flights are good to learn from too. That flight sim is only 19 bucks from Nitro. Dont let your crash get you down, get another one and be really careful in your construction, and when you fly, try really short flights... like take off and land. Thats advice from one prior crasher to another. I have 3 helicopters now. Im not a master, but I can fly without crashing... as much. Im also going to try the A-10 but add the simple upgrades and tweaks I mentioned. I read the earlier models of it were cheap, but the later ones are supposed to be better. The advice given on http://www.nitroplanes.com/new204chathi1.html under "What the Pro says" is pretty good. I rambled alot, but dont give up, its a lot of fun after you learn, and flight school can get expensive. I learned a lot about fixing my own helicopters though. Good luck and I hope you dont quit and dont let any harsh critism get you down either.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:33 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: thecyberfleamarket

Im sorry you crashed and burned. I am a helicopter pilot but Im NOT an RC Helicopter expert. I flew my first $300 helicopter for about 15 minutes on its maiden flight before smacking into the only pole for miles in the parking lot. I moved to a cheaper model the next time. I also wanted to try to fly some Jet RC ACs. I looked at the A-10 video, read the reviews and still doing research. I also just got the flight sim today. Theres not any RC FLight pros close by here, so Im on my own. Bigger battery, 5 minute epoxy, and a grassy area will help some. Short slow flights are good to learn from too. That flight sim is only 19 bucks from Nitro. Dont let your crash get you down, get another one and be really careful in your construction, and when you fly, try really short flights... like take off and land. Thats advice from one prior crasher to another. I have 3 helicopters now. Im not a master, but I can fly without crashing... as much. Im also going to try the A-10 but add the simple upgrades and tweaks I mentioned. I read the earlier models of it were cheap, but the later ones are supposed to be better. The advice given on http://www.nitroplanes.com/new204chathi1.html under "What the Pro says" is pretty good. I rambled alot, but dont give up, its a lot of fun after you learn, and flight school can get expensive. I learned a lot about fixing my own helicopters though. Good luck and I hope you dont quit and dont let any harsh critism get you down either.
thecyberfleamarket, There are two clubs within 15 miles of your Zip Code. One has 41 members and the other has 22 members. You can contact the first at Phone: 843.332.6142 and the second at 843-662-5625

Good luck.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:45 AM
F-22Raptor

I bought the A-10 from nitroplanes too. Although I am not a beginner,(trained on a hobbyzone SuperCub) I can tell you she will fly higher than 6 inches without smashing apart so catastrophically. Alas my warthog also crashed on her maiden flight. I had heard through Youtube that she "didn't fly". But i decided to give it a go. Luckily I filmed the maiden to analyze the success or failure. I took her to the field. lined her up, gave full power, waited until it seemed she wasn't accelerating any longer and gently pulled back on the stick. She leapt at about a 50 degree angle, up to 20 ft settled back down to about 10. then i gave left aileron and a little up elevator. she started coming around nicely. then 8 seconds into the flight, the tx or rx glitched. from about 12 to 15 feet, she dove straight into the ground. Holy expletive expletive. The nose was crushed and torn off. The canopy flew off, my AMA card flew out and started to blow away, the landing gear was all bent up and partially folded underneath the fuselage. but the wing and everything else suffered no damage. first thing i did was head for my camera. Unfortunately the crash happened just off frame. But the audio of course was captured. I could hear that at the exact moment of the dive, the motors cut off. then just before impact they came back on at full throttle. from messing with the plane the last evening, i found with the battery plugged in and the radio switched off the servos immediately give full down elevator. must have been interference. I agree with most of the other posters that the plane WILL fly but it definitely is underpowered with these brushed motors. best of luck in your adventures. I hope you continue with the sport. you obviously cared enough to sign up for RCU and start this thread. the only explanation I can offer is what happened to me. reciever failure, automatic full down elevator.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:03 AM
kid chuckles

You know you can take Junk and make a pretty descent flyer out of them. And that is what you have to do to fly Nitro Planes. None of the guys that are standing up for Nitro here have said anything but, you can't fly them as they come. You have to change alot of stuff reinforce everything reinforcable and make numerous trips to the LHS to get real stuff to put in them and throw the hardware that comes with them away. How is there much savings in that and then all you have is a NITRO Plane after all the work. Worthless to most people. Then you have the group that thinks no one can fly a begginer plane that has not flown before. I myself proved that wrong. Not that i have not crashed my share of very nice planes. But only one NITRO and not with any of the planes but from NITRO did I have ANY problems trying to build there ARF'S and by the time you change battys, servos, hardware, reglue, and all that you have to do to even begin to fly one of there planes where are any savings? Nitro has no support other than the John guy and very very few replacement parts for ANY plane so it fyou damage one your own your own. Good luck with this junk if you decide to buy it. There should be very big letters on every page of there Web site claiming BUYER BEWARE THIS COMPANY
Old 11-27-2008, 09:50 AM
Warbird Joe

ORIGINAL: beforetime

watch this video...my plane was more mangled then this a-10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nq7tdRS4UI

i don't speak Spanish or what ever it is there speaking...but his wife is saying you paid 100 dollars for that!!!!! you only got 30 seconds of air time.

just watch it's funny

same model and maker of the plane nitro sells

lmmfao. that is funny. that plane didn't get 10 feet off the ground.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:27 AM
aircraftking

Look i was under the impression from website..RTF= ready to fly

it took me over 4 hour's to figure out how to put this thing together.
none of the motors was attacked.
and the instruction was wrote in Chinese.

and the glue for the wing's took a whole day to dry. 24 hours

then i fly it one time......................it get's of the ground 6 inch's.
drop's back down hit's nose cracked it like a watermelon
then at same time the wing touched the ground it spun and ripped main wings off the a-10.

not only was the RTF stamp a misrepresentation
it won't even get off the ground.
well not over 6 inch's.lol

now do you give refund's?
Store credit?
Cause 100 dollar's for a plane that broke 6 inch's of the ground is kinda a joke.

what route do i need to take here?

btw i was at our local airport...nothing but strait pavement..
I had similar experience with the A-10 a while back as far as it only getting about 1 foot off the ground and coming right back down. There is certainly some assembly required, not a lot but more then what most RTF models require. I was going to order another one a few minutes ago since it was on sale for only $67, but I passed and got the Vortex 32 instead. I was afraid I would have had another bad experience with the A-10. Its a nice looking little plane, ashame it never flew for me, or you. I know others had better experiences with it which is why I wondered if just my A-10 had a problem but after seeing this thread, I realize others did as well. If I got another one I would put an 11.1v lipo in it, I bet it would do the trick.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:39 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I ordered this A-10 during the Black Friday sale for $67. I figured for that money, a complete 4-channel radio with Tx, Rx, esc and servos plus two ducted fans and motors, battery and charger was worth at least that much in parts. I then searched for videos on this plane and found one where the plane actually flies pretty decent on the stock equipment, albeit slow.

I'm thinking now that leaving the landing gear off, and the attendant drag behind, will improve the flight possibilities of this model significantly. So I am going to make mine a hand launch only version.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:47 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: kid chuckles

But only one NITRO....
To anyone who may be playing the home game:

All of "kids" comments and observations come from a person who has purchased ONE of their cheaper planes ( to boot ).

I guess I have a bit LESS experience with over 28 planes purchased, most of which fly just fine on the provided hardware...

So take Kid's comments with a large dose of salt...
Old 12-05-2008, 02:26 AM
topgun600
My Feedback: (41)

You all ever try a 15c lipo pack?? if you did, you would get a pretty good flight, ya the stock radio is crap! but Hitec makes a nice park flyer receiver for 20 bucks to fix that and use your favorite transmitter,come on guys its not Rocket science!
Old 12-05-2008, 12:03 PM
opjose

You got it! It's all about the batteries on these things.

But even the included TX and RX works well with that plane albeit it lacks all of those nice things your own ( hopefully BETTER ) TX should have.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:20 PM
ronaero

My A10 got shoulder high before it snap rolled in and destroyed itself. Boy was that fun, just like a shoulder fired missle hit it. It only taxied with the Nim's the Lipo's got it airborne and shed the blades. Really scale, just like GE engines.....If it is too good to be true it usually is. I changed one of the supplied servos before flight since the one supplied jammed tight on the first application. Kewl......
Old 09-16-2009, 07:59 PM
jlh050965

ORIGINAL: opjose

[b]Ready to Fly in Just Minutes! [b]
glue took 24 hours to dry
24x80=1440 minutes its flat out false advertisement.
Not if you use 5 minute epoxy!

Super tough, lightweight airframe! the frame and main wing broke less than 6 inchs off the ground...thats as high as it got!!!!
Where did it break? I'll bet along the glue joint, wing root or something you may have overlooked.

Shock Resistant Reinforced Fuselage and Strong Wings not strong enough to handle a 6 inch drop...main wing ripped flat off it!!!
If they ripped ''flat'' then they did so at a joint, which tends to be more indicative of a problem putting it together.

take off from ground lol i got 6 inchs and it broke..image it hitting ground from eye lvl lol
You already mentioned this so it's specious as is the next one...

Ground Take-Off can be performed easily2 words is all i can say for that one....
Ibid

I guess this means i am a retard because ...
While this could very well be... even though a plane may be labeled ''suitable for a beginner'', does it mean that a beginner should attempt to fly it.... which it seems you've done.

Even a beginner's plane needs a complete review by someone more experienced to spot build errors, adjust trims, etc.

A beginner flying by themselves for the first time typically destroys a plane within 30 seconds or less.

It's unfortunate you've learned this the hard way and I sympathise, but dont be so quick to blame the plane...

Fuselage with pre-installed Electronics, Motor, Servos, and Speed Controller
the motor was not attacked to the wing i had to do that myself..i almost lost my mind...rtf my _ _ _
This is actually trivial for those with a little experience but beginners need a bit of help...

ready to fly in 2 days lol worse experience i ever had to try to have a little fun.

id rather shoot myself in the big toe than try to assemble another one .
Yup this is what typically happens with a newbie trying to get into this...

They either get frustrated and blame the manufacturer, then get out of the hobby, or the more stubborn ones, try again, but on the second outing seek help.

This is what the clubs are for... to offer you a place to get help.

Don't give up, but learn from this mistake...

The A-10 flies fine ( and yes there are a few caveats with it, but you didn't even get that far into it... ) once properly configured.

It's typical of most foamie planes, and this type of plane really - IS - considered to be ''rugged''.

Imagine how ''lightly built'' planes fare in the hands of a beginner!

Newbies rarely understand the lever moment exterted on the root of the wing by the G forces involved, how to check trim, power, alignments, etc...

All of this you tend to pick up with experience, and that only comes after some instruction...

Don't get discouraged, but be aware that as a novice, you selected an entirely inappropriate plane for your first, second and even third effort in RC aircraft.

In light of this, read, read, read, join a club, and go through their training program(s)...

You'll enjoy it and you'll have sucess this way.

OK, I just purchased this A-10 Thunderbolt II, not sure about yours but mine came in 72Mhz not 27mhz, which im happy about.
I used 5 minute epoxy, no problems. That China glue it came with i just tossed.
It took me about 45minutes to:

glue the vertical stablizers, attach the Horizontal stablizer.
Attach the elevator to fuse.
Attach the Naccelles to fuse.
connect the electronics.
Attach Aileron servo to wing
Attach the landing gear to the wing.
Connect the steering servo

All went well, then i let it sit for about an hour.
then i had a hell of a time getting the steering servo hooked up, and as of now its not working.

When i checked turned on the radio, EVERYTHING started twitching, like a interference, motor was going on and off, all controls was go everywhere.
So since its a 72mhz i put my crystal in there receiver and it did the same thing. So my next step will be replacing the receiver, it it corrects itself, its the receiver and i will ask for another one.

All i have to do now is attach the Cockpit.
Far as a new flyer, i can see them having problems, never use that glue that comes with these Chinese planes etc..

Far as the beginner comment that opjose made, i agree... dont believe what they write in the info.
A beginner to one is different to another, This is my first edf, but i have been flying for over 2 years. I know i can do it.

Again you should of asked for help from someone that has been in the hobby.
I have read about so many complaints about this plane getting off the ground, I also agree that this plane should have a more powerful brushed edf system on it.
But i will check it out myself.
I also noticed this plane is tail heavy, even with the battery it came with, so i will add weight.

Study the plane you going to buy using threads, forums. It really is helpful.

But beware, there are some asses in these forums that think they know alot and they dont, luckly my father use to fly in the seventies, No electric. He has been out of the hobby for 30 years, since i got back into it, so as he. But he knows answers that he will never forget.

I started with the wing dragon 4, i have a su-31 and a predator i need to build this winter.
Also i built the dave powers extra 300 foamy, my first scratch build. It flew awesome on the maiden.

You can check it out on youtube:

Wing Dragon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SjmblZYIi8

Dave Powers Extra 300 Foamy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj_5O_87BWo

Good Luck
Old 09-21-2009, 10:40 PM
beach pilot

I have flone 2 channel nitro planes back in late 70's and early 80's. I reacently got into electric planes with the Hobby Lobby Super Cub.
Best plane for beginers. I tryed a Star Max F18, and crashed it on maiden flite. So I then got a sim. and flew jets on it, to get used to the speed.
I then bought a T 20 true 4 channel, but still wanted to get into jets. I went on Nitro Planes and read what the pros say on the A 10. He said that it was flyable stock, but sluggish. On lipo's it had plenty power, so I bought it and tried it with the stock battery, it got off the ground but stalled
and fell from about 10 feet. The only damage was a landing gear came off. So I went back and put a 15c 1300 lipo in it and taxied it on the steet in front of my house. It had plenty power, but when I went to remove the battery, it was very hot and blew up like a ballon. So then I tried a 15c 1500 lipo and it did the same thing. What c rating shoud I use for this plane.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:38 AM
eccvets

ORIGINAL: beach pilot

I have flone 2 channel nitro planes back in late 70's and early 80's. I reacently got into electric planes with the Hobby Lobby Super Cub.
Best plane for beginers. I tryed a Star Max F18, and crashed it on maiden flite. So I then got a sim. and flew jets on it, to get used to the speed.
I then bought a T 20 true 4 channel, but still wanted to get into jets. I went on Nitro Planes and read what the pros say on the A 10. He said that it was flyable stock, but sluggish. On lipo's it had plenty power, so I bought it and tried it with the stock battery, it got off the ground but stalled
and fell from about 10 feet. The only damage was a landing gear came off. So I went back and put a 15c 1300 lipo in it and taxied it on the steet in front of my house. It had plenty power, but when I went to remove the battery, it was very hot and blew up like a ballon. So then I tried a 15c 1500 lipo and it did the same thing. What c rating shoud I use for this plane.

Depends on how many amps your pulling. What does your watts meter say? I would think you would need at least a20-30c lipo.

BTW: Ithink your lipos are toasted if they are blowing up like ballons. They might go on fire... you might want to discharge them and trash them for your own saftey.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:26 AM
jouleman

I have ALWAYS found you get what you pay for. The A-10 is a cool looking airplane and understand the appeal there beforetime. However if this is your first attempt at this hobby, spend a little more money and get into a Hangar 9 Alpha or Hobbico Nexstar true RTF proven airplanes. Personally I feel the Alpha is bulletproof and an awesome trainer. Get one of these, then buddy box with someone at a local field and have fun. I believe the Nexstar is available in an electric version too if that is an issue. It is an addiction like no other. I think you will enjoy it more.