Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

giles 202 .50 size CG an weight issue

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

giles 202 .50 size CG an weight issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 04:36 PM
geneween

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default giles 202 .50 size CG an weight issue

HI,

I bought this plane. http://www.nitroplanes.com/gi2025014nig.html

According to the package it's weight is 2550g (5.62lb) with everything loaded I needed to add weight to the nose to balance it out. it's now at 2912g (6.42lbs). I used Futaba 3151 servos all around and a Hitec HS81 on throttle it has an O.S. 46LA bolted to the nose.

Can you tell me from the leading edge next to the fuse how farback the CG should be. the Manual has you find the centerline measure over "X" distance, then from that point on the wing measure in "Y" distance and that's the CG. I just want to know where it is in relation to the leading edge next to the fuse. I'd like to get rid of all the nose weight as I thing that's where all the extra weight is. somhow I need to shed 360g (0.8lbs off this Plane). I'm going to switch out the 3151's with HS225mg and make custom carbon push rods for the elevator. maybe even move the servos forward.

please respond ASAP as I'll be tearing into this plane tonite...

gene
Old 05-13-2009, 04:49 PM
opjose

Default RE: giles 202 .50 size CG an weight issue

Re: C.G.

Do as the manual suggests and measure back along the fuse.

Mark that point, then use a 90 degree square to mark the equivalent of this point along the wing root mounting area.

This will be where the C.G. should occur on the wing root, that you asked for.

Re: Weight.

Get rid of the extra weight, and see where the plane balances ( where it shows NO preference for either the nose or the tail. ).

If it is more than 1/2" off of the recommended, then move your battery pack forward in the fuselage.

If this does not do it, try strapping the battery pack on the engine mounts using wire-ties.

This puts the weight of the battery right on the nose where it will exert the most leverage.

At worst you can also put in a 2oz spinner weight as well. Since this is as far forward as possible it is often more effective than adding three times that amount of weight further back.

However moving the battery is the first thing you should do.

An O.S. 46LA is a fairly light engine for this plane. I use the O.S. .46LA on a .32 size plane, and it is about perfect for that size of plane.

The plane should fly with this engine, but you will be wanting more power as this is not even on the low end of the scale. I would recommend you use something else.

The .40 - .46 recommendation is for standard 1.4-1.7bHP glow engines, not for the much weaker LA type engines.

The plane does fine with an OS .46 AX, and I've put together a couple of these with the Tower Hobbies .46 engine.

Both are about equal in terms of power and do well with this plane.

BTW: Your AUW is about right.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:11 PM
geneween

thanks for the fast reply

I have the battery strapped to the firewall inside the cowl. I dont really want to strap it any closer to the engine as I don't want the heat to affect the battery. maybe a clever mount may be needed. I thought the 46LA would be a little shy of the power requirement but I had it in my engine box so I was going to use it. I may stick a tower hobbies motor in it or maybe a magnum 61 I have laying around....

thanks again for the reply

gene
Old 05-13-2009, 05:32 PM
opjose

With either the Magnum or the Tower, you shouldn't have to do much to get the C.G. to come out correctly.