Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

Nitro Planes Yak 52 3D Sructural Failure

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Nitro Planes Yak 52 3D Sructural Failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Anklebiter
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro Planes Yak 52 3D Sructural Failure

On December 24th, I did a ‘first flight’ on a Yak 52 3D (50) that I purchased from Nitro Planes on July 21st 2009, order #607227. It was powered by a reliable OS 70 Surpass with Futaba electronics.

First flights are a routine matter for me, as I bring out nearly a dozen new models every year of all types, from feather weight electrics to very high wing loading scale warbirds. I have about 35 years of R/C flying experience and have very well developed flying skills.

Our club also requires a complete new plane inspection prior to first flight to further reduce the potential for a crash. Mark G, a club inspector and expert pilot, performed the inspection, we checked and re-checked the balance and throws, and were ready to go.

With Mark by my side to help with any trim issues, we took your Yak off, made a few quick adjustments to the ailerons and elevator, and all seemed to be well. After a total of 1 & ½ circuits of our small flying field, I noticed something fly off the plane, which turned out to be half of the horizontal stabilizer. I immediately had a major control issue, which quickly turned into a semi-controlled crash due to lack of elevator response. The entire front of the fuselage was destroyed, along with most of the tail. We recovered the defective stabilizer and quickly determined that the wood grain was going in the wrong direction and was very soft wood to begin with.

I am requesting that you replace the fuselage, vertical and horizontal stabilizers, rudder, elevator and engine mount. If the fuselage is the same dimensions as mine, I still have a useable canopy and cowl (the cowl was removed for the first flight). If not, I will need those parts as well. The wing and landing gear is useable.

I have noticed in your current ad for the same model that you advertise it as having a NEW!! Reinforced fuselage and tail. Wish I had started with one of those!

I am very disappointed with the quality of this model, it is completely unacceptable and I can assure you that I will do no further business with Nitro Planes until you replace this plane, or the requested parts as long as they fit. Please note that since March 2008, I have purchased 9 models from you totaling $1236.57. Seven of those were purchase in 2009, and total nearly $1000.00. (I can provide receipts if you wish, as well as photos of the crashed plane.).
Old 01-13-2010, 12:49 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitro Planes Yak 52 3D Sructural Failure

Please PM John ( nitrostaff1 ) about this.