Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

Nitroplanes covering materials

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Nitroplanes covering materials

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 01:15 PM
aramsdell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitroplanes covering materials

About a month or so ago I contacted Nitroplanes by phone . One of the questions I had regarded what the covering material was and if any were available for my recently purchased NP Yak 54 69" now known as a 72" . All you have to do is measure them. Well, the wonderful person on the other end must have been very busy because I got a semi-rude answer of " I don't know what is is , you'll have to contact the manufacturer." HuH? Well, I would like to have some spare covering, blue,red and white in case the unthinkable happens. There are no spare parts currently listed for this plane either. The plane has the same color scheme as one of the 2.2m Yak 54's so it is most likely the same covering.

Anybody know what is is(the covering)?

Nitroplanes support, how about some help here?
Alan
Old 02-27-2010, 06:55 PM
opjose

Default RE: Nitroplanes covering materials

Normally the people on the phone are dealing with problems with orders, not technical questions like this.

The response was correct however. Most of the manufacturer's web sites in China for these planes can be found via a google search and they are the people that might know and can best address the questions. E.g. CMPPro, Fly-Models, etc.

Unfortunately the web sites do NOT list the type, nor the color of the coverings used.

Each ARF factory seems to use whatever they can get a hold of in bulk.

So these unknown chinese coverings are frequently and "affectionately" called "Chinacoat" because of the lack of information.

-

Having repaired a fairly large number of Nitroplanes planes, myself, I find the best course of action is to either...

- Take a small piece of cut covering with you and go to your LHS to find a close match to the color then use whatever you find.

Or

- Don't fret about matching the color exactly and be a bit creative.

For instance when I've managed to punch a hole in a wing due to a collapsed gear ( hard landing ), I'll cut the broken area out a bit larger to make a round or oval hole in it's place.

Round holes have no corners to continue tearing.... which is why this is advisable...

And then I'll put a large sweaping shape over the wing from new covering ( I took a clue from the design of my U-Can-Do trim for this ) to hid the hole. I just use a darker color that approximates those used in the overall design. Typically I'll make mirror image duplicates and place an identical trim "cover" on the other wing to hide everything... ( Hint: Put two pieces of material back to back, and make ONE cut to make two mirrored duplicates... this works great.)

I recently did this to a friend's non-Nitroplanes ( FB-Model's ) 26cc YAK and he couldn't believe the results... It took me about 40 minutes to do.

For damage to the fuselage I'll frequently put in a larger portion of darker covering from another manufacturer, again after removing parts of the damaged covering.

Then I'll use black trim tape to actually accent the new covering. This makes the repair look like part of the original design!

Old 02-27-2010, 07:03 PM
1320Fastback

Chinacoat is exactally it, it is whatever they had at the time. Color match the best you can and fly it.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:12 PM
opjose

LOL!

Don't we just LOVE "Chinacoat".

I resort to applying Top Flite Clear Coat spray on mine, which makes it hold up well.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:50 PM
1320Fastback

I love it just as much as I love "Cheans"
Old 02-27-2010, 11:29 PM
opjose

At least "cheans" wear well!

No Top Flight required on the chancletas.