Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS .46fx liner peeling?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 04:42 PM
tileflyer
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS .46fx liner peeling?

I have had this engine for awhile now,and it has always been a great running engine.I have not flown it for about a month and it was oiled on the last flight.I took it to the field the other day and it would not run more than 1/2 throttle.I could not get this engine to run right.So,I took the carb off and cleaned it,changed all the fuel lines,glow plug and a new gallon of fuel.Nothing helped,so I figured I would check the gaskets.I took the head off and I can see streaks of brass in the liner.I guess this is caused by poor quality liner coating?? It has very little power,but great compression.I checked the price on a new piston and liner Wow, OS is proud of their parts. $66 for the parts.Any ideas on repair or should I buy another? $66 for the parts and the shipping is kinda a tough call for a 2 stroker.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-01-2003, 05:53 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Depending upon the exact age of your engine, it may or may not be the peeling difficulty of a few years ago. O.S. changed plating about 3 years ago, or so. Engines made after that haven't had any particular difficulties.

If you think it's a bad liner, send it to us for evaluation. If we think it's non-warranty, we'd let you know.
Old 08-01-2003, 06:12 PM
tileflyer

I will not have a a receipt, does that matter? I thought it was strange that it started running bad all of a sudden.How do you determine if it is a warranty claim?
Old 08-05-2003, 08:06 PM
bigstic
My Feedback: (2)

HMMMmmm.... I also have a serious problem with a brand new 46 FX it was baught about 6 months ago new over the counter. Ive fallowed all break in procedures and am really dissapointed. Im hearing a serious rattle from the engine,poor acceleration and serious loss of RPMs .On the last flight i landed the airplane and noticed that the exhaust on the plane was black,the motor probobly only has about 20 flights. I also notice a grinding noise from the engine when free spinning by hand.NOT GOOD
anyone else have this problem before?Im shipping it soon for warrenty work.thanks JAY
Old 08-27-2003, 01:08 AM
tileflyer

Bax,

I want to commend you guys on the fast and friendly service!! You guys received my engine on the 18 th of this month and I got it back on the 26 th. Very good turn around.