Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS Pump Question

Old 12-19-2017, 06:38 PM
longbaot
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS Pump Question

I crashed a plane with an OS FS 91 Surpass with Pump. I found it 5 months later and went thru the engine, cleaned it and put in new bearings. I am not able to get fuel into the carb. The pump draws fuel in and out but nothing will go into the carb. I am not able to blow air thru the inlet nipple or aspirate thru it. Diclaimer: I had to soak the carb in fuel for a week to get the throttle barrel loose but there were no signs of corrosion. Help
Old 12-20-2017, 07:48 AM
do335a

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Since the fuel comes out of the pump and goes as far as up to the carb, and no further, there must be a blockage there. That is, a problem in the carb.

I know this sounds obvious, however it's not to be overlooked. Be certain that the needle valve is open.

If it is open, why not disassemble the carb and look for debris which is blocking the fuel flow?

Also, when you reassembled the engine, did you get the timing correct? It will not draw fuel, even if the needle valve is open, if the intake valve is opening when the piston is on the upstroke.

Last edited by do335a; 12-20-2017 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:52 AM
longbaot
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank You, Thank You. I took the carb including the regulator apart and did not find any obstructions. I reassembled and put it on the test stand and it fired right up. I think I may not have had the needle valve and or air bleed open enough. I am still doing my Happy Dance!