Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS Max H60F Gold Head Quits On Every Final Approach

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2022, 08:32 PM
Crazy Legs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OS Max H60F Gold Head Quits On Every Final Approach

This is the OS Max H60F Gold Head Engine that quits on every final approach.

Installation of OS Max H60F Gold Head Engine on Hanger 9 Ultra-Stick

Last edited by Crazy Legs; 05-15-2022 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Text disappeared
Old 05-15-2022, 08:37 PM
Crazy Legs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Accompanying Text For Previous Post

Please associate this text with the two photographs I uploaded previously: I have what is believed to be a previously unused OS Max H60F Gold Head engine. It has the simple single needle carburetor on it. The engine had been kept in its original box for more than 45 years. I bought it from a guy on e-Bay. When I received it, I noticed that it was pretty seized up, so I didn't dare turn it over without tearing it down and inspecting it. When I did, there was a lot of hardened fuel and oil on the top and bottom of the piston. But I could also tell that the engine in deed had never been run. The top of the piston and the bottom of the head was completely clean. Anyhow, I disassembled it and cleaned up the engine, lubricated it, and re-assembled it. I broke the engine in on a test stand with a very rich needle setting. I ran it only about a minute at at time for about ten runs with that really rich setting and then started leaning it out. The engine ran great so I put it in my Ultra-Stick 60 airplane and went to go fly it. The engine ran really well from the start and throughout the flight until I turned on my final approach and cut the throttle to idle. After about 10 seconds the engine quit running. I attempted to adjust the low speed air bleed on the carburetor but that didn't seem to help on the next four flights. The same exact thing happened: Shortly after turning on my Final Approach and reducing the speed to Idle the engine quit on every flight. Several people have told me to switch to a higher nitro fuel, but 5% fuel is what the instructions said to use so I purchased the 5% Morgan Fuel and that's what I was using. The Glow plug is also a brand new OS #7 Glow Plug. Please let me know if you have any recommendations I can use to try to correct this problem. FYI, the engine is side-mounted with the exhaust pointing down. The muffler is the OS #708 that was designed for this engine. I'll attach a photo of the carburetor to this post. Thank you.

Last edited by Crazy Legs; 05-15-2022 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Need reason for separating text from photos of engine
Old 05-25-2022, 12:47 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried extended idle tests on your test stand?

How low are you trying to get it to idle (RPM)?

Old 05-25-2022, 06:43 PM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Ummm - you had a similar, almost duplicate post - some suggestions about what to do were made there.