Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

Best prop for fx160

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 07:36 PM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best prop for fx160

I'm looking for a prop that will give me high thrust for 3d.I'm using a Moki 18-8.it's in a DPExtra330L@ 13.5LBS. Can I go with a 20x6 or 20x8,or is this to much prop for the fx 160?

Thanks
xtraflyr :rainfro:
Old 05-01-2002, 10:41 AM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Default Best prop for fx160

Xtra, what is the best prop as far as how the engine RUNS in your configuration, on your fuel, etc? The reason i ask this is that the ideal prop for your configuration may not match the ideal prop for mine...esp considering altitude, etc. Personally, I spin a 18x8 or 18x10 on this engine happily, with lots of aerobatics time on it, and our R&D team spent a lot of time with this engine in the new Patty Wagstaff extra and were very happy with the engine's performance (although the plane is a bit heavy for this engine).

A good rough starting point to select a prop is to start with a prop you really like how the engine runs, easily tuned, nice idle, etc. mult pitch times diameter. ie 18x10 = 180. now you'd like a 20" prop. so divide 180/20 = 9. roughly a 20x9 will give you a similar load and will perform similarly for the engine. similarly, a 22x8.

Of course, higher diameter, lower pitch, means more thrust and better 3D but slower overall airspeed.
Old 05-01-2002, 08:29 PM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

Default Thanks

Hey AnnMarie

Thanks for your help, it's nice to see some woman flyrs in this mostly male sport...
Thanks again
xtraflyr