Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

15cvr with 10a carb

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2002, 03:28 AM
apache
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15cvr with 10a carb

I am breaking in my 15cvr engine and it cuts off a lot around 1 1/2 on the high speed needle and when I close the needle to 1 1/4 it runs better. This is all happening in my driveway and all I am doing is blipping the throttle and going back and forth in the driveway. My temp gun shows a maximum temp of around 200 degree. I would like to know what would be a normal setting for the engine to run at. I have a rtr3 and running trinty 20%, and I ran like around 10-12 tanks so far, is this too early to be complaining or should I go to a parking lot and open up the throttle. Thank You.
Old 05-03-2002, 10:44 AM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Apache,
Your settings will vary dramatically based upon altitude, smog content of the air, fuel choices, method of break in, and about a dozen other variables. Your starting settings don't sound bad to me at all as a starting point. At 10-12 tanks you should be ready to open her up and enjoy her.

The initial settings for the carburetor of your O.S. CV engine are easy to set.

First, close the high-speed needle valve and open it 2-1/4 turns out from closed. This is the initial setting, and is a rich setting. You will have to lean the engine from this point as you drive the car.

To set the idle mixture needle, which is the grey screw in the center of the throttle arm, inside the chrome barrel, you must be able to see into the carburetor. Remove the aircleaner from the carb so you can see what you are doing.

Open the throttle to the full-open position. Inside, you can see the idle needle and the fuel nozzle. Adjust the idle mixture screw until you have a gap of 2mm to 3mm between the needle and the nozzle when the carburetor is fully opened. You can also double-check this by looking at the head of the idle mixture screw. It should be sticking out of the chromed barrel by about 1/32". This is an initial setting, and is a bit rich.

When you start the car, you can leave the clip-on battery attached to the glow plug for some initial running. As you run the car, it will be a bit rough. Adjust the high-speed needle until it just stops running rough. You can then adjust the idle mixture needle and the carburetor throttle opening until you can have the car stopped, but with the engine running smoothly. If you release the brake or stop holding onto the car, it may tend to ease forwards, just like a full-size automobile with an automatic transmission. This tells you that you have the correct setting.

Regarding temp:
It's not possible for us to give you an actual temperature or temperature range for your engine. The specific temperature is determined by too many factors. There is only one way to determine at what temperature your engine should be run. You have to run it first and then find out what temperature the engine reaches.

Make sure your engine is operating properly, with the performance you expect. Use the exact setup every time...fuel, exhaust system, plug, measurement location, and so forth. If you change anything, the temperature will change. Once you have the engine running the way you want it. Take your measurement. This is your starting point. You will have to take measurements over time to find out how the weather affects it. As the air temperature and humidity change from day-to-day, the operating temperature will change. Eventually, you'll find a temperature range that you can use.

Engine temperature is not an absolute number for setting your engine. It is only a guide, and can help alert you to potential problems. The only sure way to make sure your engine is running correctly is to see how it's running. An engine can be operating at "correct" temperatures, but not running well.

Finally, use any temperatures you read about, or people tell you, as rough information. The only useful numbers are the ones you actually measure when your engine is running correctly. If your engine is running correctly, then what you measure is correct, even if some else says it's too high or too low. Don't worry about the differences. Each engine is in a unique installation with a unique set of circumstances, so there can be wide variances in engine temperature.
Old 05-04-2002, 12:29 AM
apache
My Feedback: (1)

thank you the information was helpful.