Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS 40Max-H My first engine teardown-help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 06:09 PM
JDHammer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 40Max-H My first engine teardown-help!

Hi,
Got this engine from Ebay and it was advertised like new, only run on a bench a few times. When it finally arrived I found it very difficult to turn over by hand, seeming to be gummed up. I disassembled it as far as my limited experience allowed and soaked it in diesel fuel for two days. (Backplate off, glow plug and carburetor removed). There was very little improvement so I removed the cylinder head and liner intending to take the whole engine apart for cleaning. I'm at the point now of trying to get the con rod off of the crank pin. The con rod will only come off about halfway when it stops solid. There is a factory- installed hole in the back of the engine which lines up with the wrist pin of the cylinder. Does this hole have anything to do with getting the conrod off of the crankshaft pin?

Also- The reason the engine does not turn over easily appears to be caused by gum or varnish in the front part of the engine (bearings, crankshaft). What is the best way to solve this problem? Thanks very much, Jim.
Old 11-09-2003, 12:18 PM
JDHammer

Default RE: OS 40Max-H My first engine teardown-help!

Oops, Ok after doing a search on RCU I see that the wrist pin has to come out through the hole in the back of the engine. I tried penetrating oil and several sized screws and a toothpick but so far no luck getting the pin out. I'm now going to try soaking it in solvent for 3 days and then heating it. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 11-11-2003, 09:03 AM
CRFlyer

I aquired one of these engines yesterday from a friend of mine. It has not been run in a long time. I have taken the head and back off, as well as got the liner out. Have not been able to remove the piston yet. Not sure if that is necessary or not. After lubing the thing up, it turns over nice. Biggest problem is that the carb seems to be stuck. Moving the throttle arm does nothing to change the opening in the carb. Anyone have any good suggestions on how to fix this?
Old 11-11-2003, 10:20 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

To loosen up stuck parts, such as a carburetor, you could first try a penetrating oil, such as WD-40 or Liquid Wrench. If that doesn't work, try lacquer thinner. Don't use a solvent like brake cleaner because that will discolor the aluminum.

Finally, you can try the crock pot and anti-freeze method. Do a search in the Glow Engines forum for advice on doing that.
Old 11-15-2003, 07:30 PM
JDHammer

Update: Removal of wrist pin proved to be impossible so disassembled engine was cooked using the Prestone crock pot method. After 8 hours, pin would still not come out but the engine seemed to turn over much better than before. Sprayed with WD-40 and then soaked in diesel overnight. Dried out, oiled up with Marvel Mystery Oil, and reassembled. Haven't run it yet but it seems to turn over normally with just a slight gritty feel between compressions. Thanks for the help guys, I think this will turn out OK.