Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS 46FX peeling

Old 09-02-2002, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 46FX peeling

I have an OS 46 FX engine which is about 3 years old. Last year, after about 6-7 gallons of fuel, the engine started running erratically, and after inspection I discovered that the liner was peeling. OS technical support has been very helpful and they sent me a new liner/piston for the engine.

Since then I ran about 4 gallons of fuel into the engine, PowerMax 5% with 4 ounces oil added. Since a few days, the engine doesn't run good... Today I deadsticked and damaged the plane. Not too bad, but I have to rebuild the landing gear area.

I just removed the head of the engine... and well, the liner has started to peel again.

I would like to know what are my options for this. I know the engine is out of warranty, but still I believe a liner should last more than 4 gallons of fuel... I run the engine about 400-500 rpm from peak, and I do add oil to my fuel... So I don't think it's an operating procedure problem.

Thank you,
Old 09-02-2002, 08:02 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default OS 46FX peeling

<<POST DELETED>>
MODERATORS NOTE: Please follow the rules of this forum. It is for questions to and answers from the manufacturer only. Please refrain from answering other modelers questions in this forum.
Old 09-02-2002, 09:02 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default OS 46FX peeling

sorry to hear you have seen a repeat peeled liner. The newer liner you received last year should've been the new materials, which are essentially bullet proof. However, it is always possible an older liner was in the mix. We've seen a small % of liners peel under the older format; however, the problem did exist, and OS made a dramatic change to ensure the problem doesn't continue in the future.

Please email me at work

[email protected] with a copy of this post and your mailing information and let's see if we can reach a satisfactory resolution, OK?