Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

Trouble with OS 46 FXi

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 02:40 PM
mcdanman2003
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble with OS 46 FXi

46FXi is the engine that came with my NexStar Select. My wife purchased the RTF version as a Xmas present for me in November, 2004. I never ran the engine until I joined a club and had my instructor do it. We ran it rich as instructed and only got about 6 minute flights. After running @6 tanks the engine still would no idle. We read the booklet and set the high idle and then the low idle. Engine would cut out mid throttle range keeping me from practicing landing approaches. It would also cut out when going from low throttle to WOT. The only way to fly the dang thing was to keep it WOT and just fly. My instructor kept saying that some engines take longer to break in - but by now he is even questioning it. I have run 1.5 gals of fuel through this plan. The fuel is Powermaster 15% Nitro Sport (Castor Synthetic Blend) - which I'm told is very good fuel. Another member purchase at NexStar last year and has had no problems with his engine at all. He can fly beeter then 14 mins. at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Everyone else says that their OS only needed 3 to 4 tanks to be broken in. I have put 4 glow plugs in this engine. Currently the Fox 9 with glow bar seems to work the best. My instructor had me switch to an APC 12.25x3.75 prop.

Come to think of it, this plane has never landed on it's own power - always dead stick. My instructor made sure the prop was set properly at the compression stroke and noticed that when it quit the prop was almost verticle and that it took firm pressure to break to prop loose. We have never run this engine lean. Why is it binding? If I send it to OS I will not have anything to fly with. I can't get enough flying time at this rate with training only on one day / week.

I am totally frustrated.

Club members and RCU say that there were problems with this engine. It is very disheartening to get a brand new engine and then find out that it has been discontinued and replaced with an all new and improved version!! Whey did I get an obsolete engine anyway?
Old 07-11-2005, 11:00 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Trouble with OS 46 FXi

You may need to check the high-speed needle. The limiter may be preventing you from properly-leaning the high-speed mixture. If the high-speed mixture's set to just rich of peak RPM, then you should have no difficulty getting the idle mixture correctly-set.

The O.S. Max .46 FXi has not been discontinued or replaced with an different engine. There have been no changes to the engine since it was introduced. We'd not know where such information has come from.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:16 PM
mcdanman2003
My Feedback: (3)

Bax,

The limiter is off the high speed. I have the high speed set just rich of peak RPM as you suggested. I can't get the low speed adjusted to prevent the bogging and cutting out when moving from 1/4 throttle to 3/4 throttle.

The reason I thought the engine was discontinued is because I never see it for sale at retail outlets and when I went to OS website, the engine isn't listed in their current offerings.

I have pulled the engine and I am sending it in to OS to have a look see.

Thanks for your input.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:02 AM
aaskew

I had the same problem with the FXi 46 that came with my NEXTStar, but I was able to resolve it by using a hotter glow plug. I installed a FOX miracle plug and it fixed it for me. I also had to remove the limiter they had installed to adjust it correctly.

Andy..

ORIGINAL: mcdanman2003

46FXi is the engine that came with my NexStar Select. My wife purchased the RTF version as a Xmas present for me in November, 2004. I never ran the engine until I joined a club and had my instructor do it. We ran it rich as instructed and only got about 6 minute flights. After running @6 tanks the engine still would no idle. We read the booklet and set the high idle and then the low idle. Engine would cut out mid throttle range keeping me from practicing landing approaches. It would also cut out when going from low throttle to WOT. The only way to fly the dang thing was to keep it WOT and just fly. My instructor kept saying that some engines take longer to break in - but by now he is even questioning it. I have run 1.5 gals of fuel through this plan. The fuel is Powermaster 15% Nitro Sport (Castor Synthetic Blend) - which I'm told is very good fuel. Another member purchase at NexStar last year and has had no problems with his engine at all. He can fly beeter then 14 mins. at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Everyone else says that their OS only needed 3 to 4 tanks to be broken in. I have put 4 glow plugs in this engine. Currently the Fox 9 with glow bar seems to work the best. My instructor had me switch to an APC 12.25x3.75 prop.

Come to think of it, this plane has never landed on it's own power - always dead stick. My instructor made sure the prop was set properly at the compression stroke and noticed that when it quit the prop was almost verticle and that it took firm pressure to break to prop loose. We have never run this engine lean. Why is it binding? If I send it to OS I will not have anything to fly with. I can't get enough flying time at this rate with training only on one day / week.

I am totally frustrated.

Club members and RCU say that there were problems with this engine. It is very disheartening to get a brand new engine and then find out that it has been discontinued and replaced with an all new and improved version!! Whey did I get an obsolete engine anyway?
Old 03-13-2007, 04:16 PM
rockyroad

I,m also having the same trouble with mine and have had A belly full of it, And believe me I have A big belly.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:02 PM
aaskew

ORIGINAL: rockyroad

I,m also having the same trouble with mine and have had A belly full of it, And believe me I have A big belly.
I have to admit that I finally figured out that the problem was the slow speed adjustment, not the glow plug.
Once I adjusted it correctly, it runs great.

Andy.