Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

Schneurle porting

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 07:40 PM
flyingfever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Schneurle porting

I'm considering a GP Super Decathalon and want to put my OS40LA engine in it, but... the manual for the Decathalon warns against using a non-schneurle ported 40 size engine in this plane.

Is the OS40LA schneurle-ported?

And, as long as I'm here, what in the devil is schneurle-porting?

Thanks,

fever
Old 10-25-2002, 01:45 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Schneurle porting

Fever,

Virtually ALL R/C glow engines today are Schneurle ported. All of the O.S. engines most certainly are.

A discussion of Schneurle porting is a bit much for a single posting here. Basically, it's the way the intake and exhaust ports are cut in the cylinder to make the most efficient exchange of intake and exhaust gasses during running.

Non-Schneurle ported engines had a baffle on the top of the piston to make the intake charge move up and across the cylinder to help drive out the exhaust gasses. Schneurle porting eliminates the baffle by using angled ports and creative timing to have the intake charge do a better job of getting rid of the spent exhaust gasses.