Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS50SX-bearings

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 01:18 AM
Piet Le Roux

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS50SX-bearings

Hi Bill,
I bought an OS50SX about a month ago. Running in was done with three tanks of Morgan Omega fuel after that I used Morgan’s Coolpower,10% nitro and 18% oil. After the first three tanks I felt a small amount of play on the bearings. It now has had about 20 tanks through it and the play has increased. I also have an OS46AX that is about a year old and have been running on Cool power and lately on Omega, it has very little play on its bearings.

Should I keep on running the engine and see what happens or should I replace the bearing first?

Piet Le Roux

Old 03-14-2006, 11:11 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: OS50SX-bearings

If the bearing has developed play or roughness, it should be swapped out before it can fail. If it fails, metal will be scattered throughout the enigne, which will ruin it.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:41 AM
Piet Le Roux

Hi, Bill
I feel both glad and stupid, I checked the bearings by moving the tips of the prop back and forth while the engine was in the plane and cowled. There is in fact very little bearing play, the engine was moving in the mount. I replaced the bolts with better ones and all is well.

Piet Le Roux
Old 03-15-2006, 10:21 AM
Bax

Good to hear that there are really no difficulties.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:34 AM
Piet Le Roux

Hi Bill,
After I made sure that the engine was secure in its mount there was still a bit of play. We were practicing a lot the last few weeks and the play got bigger, so I replaced the bearings. The 6902 and R6 bearings are readily available here but not with a C3 internal clearance, it is only imported with standard clearance. Can I use these bearings or must they both be C3? After I replaced the bearings I did a running in with one tank of fuel but after that the engine did not have its normal power, only after about 4 tanks it started to run like it use too. I then checked the bearings and I can feel a small bit of play. My question now is must there be a small amount of play or non at all? How can one tell if there is too much play?

Piet Le Roux
Old 03-30-2006, 11:45 AM
Bax

Because we only use stock O.S. bearings, we don't have a feel for their rating. There will always be a small amount of 'play' in the bearings. The clearance is needed so that they do not become too tight when they warm up as the engine runs. A few thousandths' worth of play is not consequential, and can be safely ignored. A very small amount of radial play can be noticed a the ends of the propeller, where it's magnified by movement of the tips.