Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS 10 LA Leaking fuel

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 11:15 PM
lslewis
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 10 LA Leaking fuel

I just completed my vintage Hal deBolt Rebel a 1955/6 design. Fueled up and attempted to start my shinny new just out of the box 10 without luck.

Checked the glow plug, checked the needle valve setting (open 4 turns) but no luck. Then the engine began to spit fuel, flooded without a doubt. Fuel began to drip down the propeller. Worse it didn't seem to stop.

What should I try/do next?
Old 02-03-2003, 05:11 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Larry,

4 turns out on the high-speed needle is a bit much. That's so far that the engine's just flooding out. Start out with the needle at about 2-1/2 turns out.

The engine's getting so flooded that it's leaking fuel out the front of the crankshaft bushing. With the needle set no so rich, you'll find that the fuel won't come out the front of the engine so much. Some fuel, though, is normal. That's how the bushing/crank interface gets lubricated.

Once the engine's started, you can eventually get the high-speed needle to about 1-1/2 turns when it's broken in.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:56 PM
lslewis
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, no I have not been able to start the engine but I believe I may have isolated the problem. The engine is in a 1955 designed R/C plane following the old plans I installed the tank on top of the hard wood motor mounts. The tank may be too high.

With the valve set as you recommend the engine floods and fuel drips out the front. If I close the needle valve down (1 1/2 turns) the engine runs out the prime and stops.

I would like your opinion as I am not sure. Fixing the tank elevation is major surgery. If there is an alternative please let me know.

I know it is difficult/impossible to trouble shoot this way so any ideas will be appreciated.