Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS FS 48 Surpass

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 02:33 AM
rdrothman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS FS 48 Surpass

Just wondering if anyone out there has a schematic diagram of this discontinued engine. I need to aquire a couple of those little teflon bushings that go between the piston pin and cylinder sleeve and I'm not sure what part number to order as I don't have the info. I checked the OS website and only found instructions - no drawings/diagrams. Are they absolutely necessary? Is there a "home remedy" I can replace them with or should I try to get the parts?

Also, there is a small key on the front of the crankshaft just prior to the threads which sits against the front bearing on the outside of the engine (again, not sure exactly what that part is called) that fell out as I was disassembling. I can't figure out how it goes back. It's half-moon shaped with a blunt-square end and a pointy end. Anyone know which end goes forward and if it just sits there or how it should look/go together?

Last question, should the rear bearing be flush with the front of the cylinder minus the sleeve, or stick out a bit? I've got about 1/16" of the rear bearing visible as you look down from the top of the cylinder and am not sure if that is right or not. Any help would be really appreciated! Thanks,

Ryan
Old 04-22-2007, 09:06 AM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: OS FS 48 Surpass

looking up old parts is kind of a fetish for me.................
listed here on Towers parts page is the wrist pin w/teflon pads...............

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCT12&P=Z

on the bearing, i've never seen one yet that was spaced out from the case......in other words, the bearing should be seated all the way in.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:22 PM
rdrothman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the link! They even had the parts in stock! So now I see that other part is called a woodruff key... Any idea which end of that thing goes forward? Does it just sit in there or is it attached some way? I think I'll have to heat up the engine again and try to get that rear bearing to move up a bit more.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:26 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i looked around for a schematic of the 48 or any other engines in OS's line that have woodruff keys like yours..............some show both ways.
it'd be best to PM Bax and ask him...............
Old 05-01-2007, 01:20 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Please send an email to the addy below, and we can send a diagram/instruction sheet.