Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS91FX Trouble shutting down

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 02:52 PM
frdeluca1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS91FX Trouble shutting down

I have run about five tanks through my new 91 FX. Engine runs great, except that with the throttle barrel completely closed the engine continues to run at t a fast idle. I can shut the engine off by putting my finger over the intake, but that us a bit scary. Any suggestions besides counting my fingers after each shut down?

Thanks
Old 05-06-2007, 01:54 PM
harvtom
My Feedback: (19)

Default RE: OS91FX Trouble shutting down

Check to make sure air is not leaking past the rubber O-ring between the carb and the crankcase. Suggest you put in anew one and push hard on the carb while securing it so that the O-ring is compressed.

harvee
Old 05-07-2007, 10:08 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If an engine won't shut off when you close the throttle, you'll need to find out why. Air is leaking somewhere. Please make sure the carburetor is fully-seated into the crankcase. Also make sure that the carburetor rotor is closing off completely. Sometimes, they don't shut off all the way, even when they seem fully-closed.

If you can't get it sorted out, you may wish to send it to the service center.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:03 AM
frdeluca1

Thanks Bill:

As I said, if I put my finger over the intake, the engine quits. I would think if there was an air leak, putting my finger over the intake would not shut the engine down. I thinb you may be right, the barrel is probably not closing all the way, although it sure looks like it. The engine is new with maybe five tanks through it. I am still running it a bit rich right now, but it performs great at any throttle position and starts up immediately. I have one side of my Bisson muffler blocked off. Hmmmm-maybe too much tank pressure(???)

It is still four cycling a bit at idle.